We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 322 Posts
    There hasn't been an update the this addon in almost a year and a half. I have a client who recently wanted to add a forum, did some research, and said, "hey, I found there is a plugin called Discuss for MODX." I had to tell them, sorry, it has bugs and also isn't compatible with the version of MODX your site is running. Not good. The Github page shows no activity at all; no milestones, issues unfixed since last year. What's going on?
    • Nope.
      The original author is no longer maintaining the repo, there had been some attempts to replace the forum add-on but didn't make it.
        Rico
        Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas A. Edison
        MODx is great, but knowing how to use it well makes it perfect!

www.virtudraft.com

Security, security, security! | Indonesian MODx Forum | MODx Revo's cheatsheets | MODx Evo's cheatsheets

Author of Easy 2 Gallery 1.4.x, PHPTidy, spieFeed, FileDownload R, Upload To Users CMP, Inherit Template TV, LexRating, ExerPlan, Lingua, virtuNewsletter, Grid Class Key, SmartTag, prevNext

Maintainter/contributor of Babel

Because it's hard to follow all topics on the forum, PING ME ON TWITTER @_goldsky if you need my help.
        • 24,544 Posts
        I do know of a client who is using the extra as is. It seems to be working for them.

The odd thing is that AFAIK, some enhanced version of that extra is running this Forum.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 1,154 Posts
          Discuss 2 will not be made real? From what I can figure, the 2.0 version is not completely new but rather a fixed/augmented version of 1.0.

Is this not going to happen? If so, give it to me straight, I got the whisky right here.
            • 1,154 Posts
            By the way to be clear, I am running Discuss on Revo 2.2.14pl, and the only evidence that it won't run on the latest Revo is a person who seemed somewhat less than reliable. Several people over the last 6 months have picked it up and gotten it running past the couple bugs that exist.

Not sure what version your client is running.

Quote from: rainbowtiger at Dec 12, 2014, 11:28 PM
            I had to tell them, sorry, it has bugs and also isn't compatible with the version of MODX your site is running. Not good. The Github page shows no activity at all; no milestones, issues unfixed since last year. What's going on?
              • 322 Posts
              Quote from: nuan88 at Dec 29, 2014, 01:25 PM
              Not sure what version your client is running.

• 1,154 Posts
                Is it incompatible? Where did you get that information? I don't think that has been documented, but maybe it has.

I am still under the belief that sooner or later Discuss 2 will come out. It might take awhile though ;-)

I find Discuss quite extensible but still a little tough because you have to do so much of the legwork yourself.
                  • 322 Posts
                  Quote from: nuan88 at Dec 29, 2014, 07:29 PM
                  Is it incompatible? Where did you get that information? I don't think that has been documented, but maybe it has.

It's still listed as "needs testing" on the compatibility list, and since so many people have so much trouble ("legwork" as you say) getting it to work, it just isn't worth the trouble to me.
                  • That list of extras that are compatible on github gets on my nerves some times. 2.3 is 99% backwards compatible with 2.2. The only real issues is when they extended certain core extjs widgets (Articles is a good example of a popular extra that did it). For the most part, most extras don't touch that kind of stuff. I don't know if Discuss does, but I don't think so. The back-end component is really barebones though, and moderation/management is best handled through the front-end.

Discuss is pretty stable. It indeed runs this forum. I don't think there's many tweaks, aside from running a special search class instead of the default. Back when I worked at MODX I was actually working on this for some time and it was in fact just a standard install of the package, built from the same github repo everyone can access. That's been a while though, so it's possible that's changed.

We still have a support forum in the pipeline for modmore, and as soon as we can find the time to really sort out our theme, that'll go live based on latest Discuss 1.x.

As for wether someone is still developing Discuss, I don't think it's on anyone's #1 prio. But MODX.com still depends on it, and soon modmore.com will too, so there are stakeholders in the community that should be around when stuff goes down.
                      Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                      • 1,154 Posts
                      Mark, you made some comments about Discuss 2 before, is it your understanding that it will be released eventually?