We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 113 Posts
    I am in the advent of finishing NGO website and we are discussing about teaching them how to update/create web resources, like adding new pages, updating news, uploading photos for gallery. Is that okay? They said that they are willing to learn stuffs and do it by themselves. Most of them are 40's up. How am I going to convince them that they really have to hire a web manager.
      • 24,544 Posts
      You might show them what happens to a web page when a key HTML closing tag is missing, or a snippet tag with many properties is missing its question mark, or a modx tag is missing a square bracket (e.g. Wayfinder), or a chunk or snippet name is misspelled, or the base href tag is incorrect, etc.

Show them the page, let them see you make the tiny change, and show it again.

If you spend a little time, you could come up with some spectacular examples.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 113 Posts
        Hmm. I'll give it shot. What are the common options should we give them just in case they find it hard to learn.
        I'm thinking of they will just pay me whenever they have something to put into their website. But what is the scope? coding, graphics? this is my first time developing a paid website.
          • 24,544 Posts
          It's a learning process, and I don't claim to be an expert at it (I almost always underestimate the time it will take me to do something). Here's a good place to start (once you get past the annoying intro): http://vimeo.com/22053820.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 113 Posts
            Hahaha like the title. THank you sir bob. Hope to hear the experience from other designers.
            • Contracts are all well and good as long as you don't work where corruption and connections overrule the rule of law. I've even had bank escrow accounts not work because the client had contacts at the bank.

I rarely work for local clients, and I've learned to more carefully judge my clients before agreeing to work for them. If I'm not completely sure that I can trust the client and I work on a single-payment basis I get the payment up front. If I work on an hourly basis I invoice after an agreed-upon number of hours and wait until the invoice is paid before I continue. If they don't like it, they can find somebody else to rip off.

The MODX Cloud is really helpful, because I can design the site there, and not move it to the client's hosting until they pay me.
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • 113 Posts
                Sweet. Great thoughts. Thanks for the response. Now I'm learning.

In my case,they want me to make two diff websites (the same company but diff brand), and I agreed that they can get the other website in half of my price. The mode of payment is like they will give me the half payment of the first website then when the tutorial thing is done they will give the remaining. I haven't started yet their second website (half priced).

I kinda find it hard to teach them how to use it. Is this one of the first timer dilemma?
                  • 219 Posts
                  Quote from: claro_santiago at Nov 13, 2014, 09:39 AM
                  I kinda find it hard to teach them how to use it. Is this one of the first timer dilemma?

No, obviously the more experience you have of client handovers the easier it can be but it really depends on the client. If they are computer/web/socialmedia savy then usually they find using a cms very easy. Some are not though and can struggle.

I would say if you have a tricky client then the following helps:

• Have structure to your training session(s). Go in knowing exactly what you need to achieve with them.
                  • Simplify the MODX manager. ie hide elements they don't need to see/use, change field/tab names to something more understandable, include detailed TV/field descriptions, customize the dashboard to include support links/details etc.
                  • A hardcopy manual which includes visuals (screenshots), which you can leave with them for reference can really help.
                  • People remember actions better than instructions. Don't just show them what to do, include them by getting them to do a task and guide them through it. Repeat until they don't need any prompts.
                  • Make sure as you go through the session they are taking notes.
                  • Don't over complicate things. Only show them what they need to know.
                  • Keep your language and terminology simple. Don't bamboozle them with techie terms.

If you have very little experience of training clients then I would strongly recommend rehearsing the session(s) with a non-techie family member or friend before your paying client. I guarantee they will ask or question things that seem very obvious to you.

Also, make sure you have a support agreement in place with them. We agree an hourly rate for after launch support and invoice quarterly. [ed. note: davidpede last edited this post 9 years, 5 months ago.]
                    Find me on Twitter, GitHub or Google+
                    • 113 Posts
                    Thank you for your advises. I'm taking notes. Never had the idea of the after launch support, thank you.
                    I'm using bootstrap, am I supposed to teach them HTML and CSS? seems more things to do.
                      • 219 Posts
                      Quote from: claro_santiago at Nov 13, 2014, 02:35 PM
                      I'm using bootstrap, am I supposed to teach them HTML and CSS? seems more things to do.

No not at all. If you have built the site using template's, tv's etc there shouldn't be any need for the client to learn html/css.

That's the advantage of cms's wink.
                        Find me on Twitter, GitHub or Google+