We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 163 Posts
    I'm searching for a snippet or plugin like Wordpress's WP-O-Matic...
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-o-matic/

WP-o-Matic makes autoblogging a snap by automatically creating posts from the RSS/Atom feeds you choose

Desired effect would be to create resources from an RSS feed (multiple or single). Ideally it would check for duplicate entries and have some sort of schedule admin for when it pulls in the data.

I have had a good look about the MODX forums but not found anything that suits...

Is there anything like that out there? Any help much appreciated.

NB. I'm not looking to add an RSS feed to the front-end of a website! I want to create resources/pages inside the manager from a RSS feed...

This question has been answered by jonleverrier. See the first response.

• 163 Posts
      Any ideas anybody?

If nothing exists, I appreciate its a chunk of work to create. I would be interested in funding something like this with the thought of sharing it with the community.
        • 24,544 Posts
        http://modx.com/extras/category/feeds

Both Spiefeed and getFeed might be what you want.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 163 Posts
          Hi BobRay - Spiefeed / getFeed are on my radar - for displaying RSS feeds on the front-end of any website, however I'm looking for an RSS feed to create Resources inside the MODX manager...
          • Jon, you'll need something to trigger the parsing but you have two pieces. You have an XML parser needed and a event or cron to actually ping the feeds for content and then create resources from the returned values. If you don't want to write a cron you can use a psuedo cron which is how MODX's publish events work which is when someone requests a page that hits index.php it runs the events to publish/unpublish resources.

The hardest bit is creating new resources from the parsed XML but that's not that hard. The basics for creating a resource are in this post here though in this case related to formit2resources but the operation will be the same in a plugin which first parses the xml and then maps the parsed fields to the resource fields and then saves.
              Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
              • 163 Posts
              Thanks for the tips Jay!

Alas, i'm a modx web designer / integrator not a developer which was why i was after a plugin or snippet.

Could you put me in contact with any trusted MODX developers who might be interested in developing this as an extra (free or paid) ?
                • 24,544 Posts
                I just did something similar for someone else. Offhand, I couldn't see a way to make it a generic extra, since different feeds will have different fields and the user probably doesn't want to display all of them.

BTW, do you really want to create permanent resources from the feed or do you just want a reusable resource that displays whatever is in the current feed?
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 163 Posts
                  Quote from: BobRay at Oct 29, 2014, 05:00 AM
                  I just did something similar for someone else. Offhand, I couldn't see a way to make it a generic extra, since different feeds will have different fields and the user probably doesn't want to display all of them.

Shame! In my head I was going to use a third party RSS tool (such as Yahoo Pipes) to make all data consistent and merge different feeds together, feeding one final feed to MODX, but would love to learn more about what you've put together. The Yahoo pipes solution might just be a silly idea, and MODX might be able to handle multiple feeds better...

Quote from: BobRay at Oct 29, 2014, 05:00 AM
                  BTW, do you really want to create permanent resources from the feed or do you just want a reusable resource that displays whatever is in the current feed?

I want to create permanent resources so that I can offer 'blog' comments/discussions on these RSS generated resources and various other stats, like how popular the resource was (based on hits) and perhaps even add some tags, along with filtering these resources by month, or even year etc...

---

Aim of this idea is to create a blog-type-format designed for 'discussion and interaction' based on various news feeds from around the web. The sector I am designing this for doesn't have one place to go and find all industry news online, therefor interaction and discussion (as a community) is disjointed and spread thin across many many sites.

Think what these sites do for their respective industries (https://news.ycombinator.com and https://news.layervault.com). Granted these sites are populated with user generated content lol, however for the idea I have, RSS generated content is the way forward for a version 1 site.

Hope this all makes sense! [ed. note: jonleverrier last edited this post 9 years, 6 months ago.]
                  • There is a snipped called "Formit2Resource" or similar. If you open and look at it, you might come a bit closer to your goal.

I also wrote a snippet somewhere to parse rss feeds into MODX placeholders. So a moix of all those snippets might do the trick smiley

Do you still need help with that?
                    • discuss.answer
                      • 163 Posts
                      Hi Gallen - have sent you a PM. I'm in discussion with a few MODX developers, but yes still need help!

Formit2Resource is great for user generated content, however for the first phase of this idea, RSS to Resource would be a better match.

I'll update this post when I have more to share... [ed. note: jonleverrier last edited this post 9 years, 6 months ago.]