We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 38 Posts
    Update 1.1
    Github version uninstall did delete asset/core discuss directories... + actions,menus and namespace db entries [EDIT: but not the system settings and other tedious-to-have-to-manually-delete entries]

In light of this, I am going to reinstall github version, configure, test. And if fail (which I expect it will), then proceed to unistall completely and fresh install direct from modx depo.

[Edit #2: as an afterwards - i did install, no difference and ended up in the process going back to whatever version was on MODX depo. I solved MY issue due to incorrect parsing of forum category characters, which I would say is still a problem and causing other problems possibly] [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 5 months ago.]
      • 38 Posts
      Sidenote: Db tables for discuss snippets and system settings have to be manually removed as well, which in the case of latter is ridiculously super-tedious unless you run a command to remove bulk, which is another really bad flaw littering the site db of anyone who installs it just to try it out. Totally irresponsible, this should have been released at the least with removing these entries and other Discuss plugin-only related fields. [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 5 months ago.]
        • 38 Posts
        OK - Verdict:

BROKEN in dis-repair
        I looked at the version documentation on github and I'm sure that some of the fixes that are claimed to be fixed are NOT, ex. the 'modify' of personal messaging claims to have been fixed in the most recent version, but obviously it's not:

(after multiple fresh installs, github or MODX depo):

Fatal error: Class 'disThread' not found in

[..]/core/components/discuss/controllers/web/messages/modify.class.php on line 44

$this->thread = $this->modx->call('disThread', 'fetch', array(&$this->modx,$this->post-

>get('thread'),disThread::TYPE_MESSAGE));
                if (empty($this->thread)) $this->discuss->sendErrorPage();
                $this->modx->lexicon->load('discuss:post');

EDIT: See next post, "move thread" - admin bar, solved - although should be redesigned [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 5 months ago.]
          • 38 Posts
          UPDATE:

Discuss component, yet it simply is not functioning (very obvious from the errors) regarding a) modifying pms (see error above); b)moving and delete thread by a moderator on front-end ability; c)missing text locale under extras/mgr for deleting thread; d) search capability in extras/mgr for threads.

a) broken - obviously so. (major problem)

b)
          HOLY COW. So, I got the admin ability working to "move and delete" threads.

The option is not delivered via the normal non-js option (or at least, similar to other modify,remove option as it should -- poor design if its only dependent on js). There was obviously some interferance with the js. It is currently displayed via js on a bottom page banner.

I have discovered the reason why this was not displaying or available to me: I had a the main forum category named to

(̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

This may sound stupid too you, but this just shows that it's bad design in this case to use javascript for main functionality unless the whole forum itself was js dependent + the right parsing in php. The above characters caused the admin options (that should have been displayed along with the other modify | remove | nuke spam options.

c) still broken (another assumed js conflict //not major, or is it??!)

d) SOLVED (with a, above)

SO, the forum is still usuable but BARELY- bound to be diverse problems depending on end-user and various website build/environment! It's dependencies on js and design are bad, I will now dig through the other problems I noted to myself, including those that were security-based and edit this post above accordingly.

[ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 5 months ago.]
            • 38 Posts
            So after all the Discuss forum is functional (for trivial use) but major hiccups due to bad design and js implementation.

Still have to check this, but assumed this can be manually fixed as noted by nuan88

"Mark as Read" problem is probably related to this bug I fixed here:

http://forums.modx.com/thread/91011/js-errors-in-fresh-install#dis-post-499509

The file to change is in the footer of wrapper.tpl, the main page template. The http causes the browser to not get the proper java file.

Its related to a lot of javascript things, like words in text boxes (Title, username, password) that should disappear when the user clicks on the text box to insert their info, and the question/discussion button selection, and other things too. Its weird because some things will work but others will not.

Also want to re-emphasize the problem with modifying pm messages, which holds security concerns,

Fatal error: Class 'disThread' not found in

[..]/core/components/discuss/controllers/web/messages/modify.class.php on line 44

$this->thread = $this->modx->call('disThread', 'fetch', array(&$this->modx,$this->post-

>get('thread'),disThread::TYPE_MESSAGE));
                    if (empty($this->thread)) $this->discuss->sendErrorPage();
                    $this->modx->lexicon->load('discuss:post');

I don't want to litter this thread with the other 2 big problems here, so I am going to search on the forums for the pm modify error (or open a new thread after i investigate more) and may refer my further finding on the github bug report.

http://bugs.modx.com/projects/discuss/issues

PS. I deleted some of my more scathing comments towards this Discuss project on this thread.. I think Discuss should be labeled problematic explicitly by MODX and I'm sure that the state of Discuss not does reflect well towards MODX or help the cause. I have essentially wasted a day where all the above should have been noted and fixed before. I just looked at the bug report as well and well over a year since a fix, update or bug report - Not good. The important bugs (including major design (js/php problems) don't looked to be listed there, hmmm.

Thanks for the help. [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 5 months ago.]
              • 38 Posts
              Damn, spoke too soon.

Now one things fixed, another things broken - Before under Extras (manager) right clicking and deleting threads worked now the following error:

Processor not found: mgr/thread/remove

Enough is enough. I'm pretty sure my paths are set core_path and assets_path.

sigh
                • 1,154 Posts
                Ha well take it easy, you know it isn't for anyone, but let's agree you are the only person who has had these particular problems. Especially its problems with paths so that's just weird, its like you have underlying problems with your modx install rather than with discuss at all.

For me, I went through what you were going through as well to some extent, and it is frustrating. But, the bugs I was trying to avoid were all related to the java problem I mentioned before.

Why don't you do this: start with a new install of modx if you can, then install discuss from the newer package. Then, test fully before trying to fix anything.

Given the running around you are doing now, I would say the process needs to slow down and get more orderly.

Isn't it true that the original problem you had was making moderators? That is a weird problem, but if we can get back to that point, I am sure we can find a fix for you.
                  • 38 Posts
                  Ha well take it easy, you know it isn't for anyone, but let's agree you are the only person who has had these particular problems.

Apparently it's most likely a modx 2.3.x+ greater version compatibility problem, so everyone who is using 2.3.x (which to-date is the only version they really should be using due to critical security issues of the preceding versions) is going to have major problems.

Apparently, I am the only personal who has 1) Tested the compatability with the latest, secure versions of MODX, and 2) bothered to join the forums and spend hours of my time not only testing/fresh installing multiple times with the two packaging available at the moment but also reporting on the forum!

Most people who download MODX and then would install Discuss, don't bother to register and post on the forums if it doesn't work for their forum solution. They just leave and find another CMS.
                    • 38 Posts
                    Given the running around you are doing now, I would say the process needs to slow down and get more orderly.

Isn't it true that the original problem you had was making moderators? That is a weird problem, but if we can get back to that point, I am sure we can find a fix for you.

Wrong, now you are twisting my words and I couldn't have tested and documented more orderly and clearly. This is a personal insult intentionally aimed at me due to your frustration at my other thread post that points out the problem and version incompatability issues!

BUT please let's be civil and not take anything personally. My criticisms and testing are here for one reason: to analyze, improve Discuss and hopefully point out its incompatability issues with current MODX versions. [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 5 months ago.]