We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    Since the install went smoothly, try deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache and cookies.

Before doing that, you might also go into the database in PhpMyAdmin, and in the modx_site_plugins table, put a 1 in the 'disabled' column for all plugins.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 6 Posts
      CREATE privileges are covered under ALL, right? So I don't think there should be a problem there.

But I don't think we can say that the install went smoothly since the database still didn't update. I'm still missing the table you mentioned

Apparently I have no plug-ins since the modx_site_plugins table is completely empty, so that's probably not the issue

I cleared my browser data again, and attempted to delete the core/cache/ contents again, but my FTP is returning 'Delete Operation Failed' for all files in that folder. It's the same user I deleted them with the other day and no permissions on the user's part have been changed. Files in other directories delete just fine.

Needless to say, both the site and manager are still blank...
        • 24,544 Posts
        Take a look at the MODX error log, to see if there are any clues there. IIRC, it should be: core/cache/logs/error.log

If not check the server's error log around the time you ran setup.
          My MODX Extras
          • 322 Posts
          Quote from: amethyst at Jul 31, 2014, 12:26 AM

I cleared my browser data again, and attempted to delete the core/cache/ contents again, but my FTP is returning 'Delete Operation Failed' for all files in that folder. It's the same user I deleted them with the other day and no permissions on the user's part have been changed. Files in other directories delete just fine.

What are the permissions settings on that folder, and on the files inside it, and what user is listed? MODX may not be running as the same user you get when you log in by FTP, so when it creates the cache files, you would then not have delete permissions through FTP. I've seen that happen. The fix for that is to install a few files in your site root that change this. Your host should be able to help you with this, if that's what's going on.
            • 6 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at Jul 31, 2014, 03:03 AM
            Take a look at the MODX error log, to see if there are any clues there. IIRC, it should be: core/cache/logs/error.log

If not check the server's error log around the time you ran setup.

I'm not sure what's up with the error log, but it's still filled with the same error as before:
            [2014-07-31 11:09:11] (ERROR @ /index.php) Error 42S22 executing statement:
            Array
            (
            [0] => 42S22
            [1] => 1054
            [2] => Unknown column 'modContext.name' in 'field list'
            )

[2014-07-31 11:09:11] (ERROR @ /index.php) Could not prepare context: web
            Note I did add a 'name' column with the properties listed on the previous page to that table of the database; it doesn't seem to have changed the error message.
            Oddly, the error message becomes solid black past a certain point in the file, so I'm not sure what that's about. Might be file corruption? Or the browser not being able to load so much? http://prntscr.com/487m7k Screenshot linked. It may or may not be important.

Quote from: rainbowtiger at Jul 31, 2014, 12:46 PM

What are the permissions settings on that folder, and on the files inside it, and what user is listed? MODX may not be running as the same user you get when you log in by FTP, so when it creates the cache files, you would then not have delete permissions through FTP. I've seen that happen. The fix for that is to install a few files in your site root that change this. Your host should be able to help you with this, if that's what's going on.
            core/cache/ itself is 777. The directories within are 700 and the files are 644. It also won't let me chmod those anymore, just for that directory. I'm not quite sure what you mean by what user is listed- for if the folders are set up with a specific user? I don't see anything like that, but there's only one ftp user for the site currently and I'm on that account.
            What files would those be?
              • 322 Posts
              Quote from: amethyst at Jul 31, 2014, 05:39 PM
              core/cache/ itself is 777. The directories within are 700 and the files are 644. It also won't let me chmod those anymore, just for that directory. I'm not quite sure what you mean by what user is listed- for if the folders are set up with a specific user? I don't see anything like that, but there's only one ftp user for the site currently and I'm on that account.
              What files would those be?

Hmm. As far as I know, ALL directories should be 755, and all files should be 644. If you can't chmod them, then you are logged in as a user who can't change anything. Some FTP programs will display the user and group along with permissions when you get the info for a file or folder. If you're logged in through cPanel or something like that and using that file manager, the user names may not get displayed.
              • discuss.answer
                File permissions of 700 might be troublesome, so make sure to fix that. Sometimes, especially on shared hosts, you may not be able of changing it once it's set to 700, so if that's the case contact your host and ask them to do it for you. If after those file permissions are fixed, the new folders are recreated again with the same value, you might have a setting that sets the chmod wrong upon create (new_folder_permissions iirc).

As for the modContext.name issue, that definitely sounds like the upgrade did not apply. When you update make sure that you are properly overwriting the old files with the new 2.3 ones and that there are no upload issues etc.

Before running setup again, try tricking MODX into thinking you're still running an older version so it will properly execute the database changes that might be missing. Go to System Settings, find the settings_version setting, and change it's value to 2.2.14-pl. As you probably don't have access to the manager, change the value directly in the system_settings table and either delete the core/cache/*_settings/ folders, or also change the value in the cache files.
                  Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Mark, I've seen several reports from people where the database wasn't altered during setup in the upgrade to 2.3. Do you have any idea what the conditions are that cause this? It's not happening to everyone.

Symptoms:

1. There is no modx_extension_packages table.
                  2. The modx_context table has no 'name' field.

(Great idea on re-setting the version, BTW).
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 6 Posts
                    We're in business; got the site going.

Mark's suggestion about changing the version in the database does seem to have done the trick.

Also, after changing the database entry, since I'm not on a shared host, I was able to chmod core/cache/ through command line rather than the FTP client, and I was then able to delete it again.
                    I also looked into what he said about new folder permissions, and while I couldn't find a setting like that, one thing lead to another and I discovered that my server's umask value wasn't being set-- somehow the line had been commented out from vsftp.conf. After correcting that and reuploading, I found that core/packages had the same issue as the core/cache, corrected the chmod, deleted and reuploaded that as well. After that, the installation worked properly, and both the site and manager look good as new.

Thanks, everyone!
                    • If you use the default setting on installation, there is no System Setting for new folders or files. The default is 755 and 644, and will be used if there are no System Settings. If you change your mind later, you need to add the settings.
                        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org