We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Dear Community,

for obvious security reasons I try to update a site from 1.0.1 to 1.0.14.
    However, there is a problem concerning the database: obviously the installer cannot connect to the database.

During the check of the permissions the access to the database seems to be ok. But as I start the installation, I get prompted that a connection to the database could not be established, and that I have to retry (which I did with no change in result).
    As the installation proceeds anyway I can then log into the backend. Obviously the database can be read, as all the content is available. But if I want to change anything and save it I get a MODX Parse Error similar or exactly like:

« Execution of a query to the database failed - Unknown column 'alias_visible' in 'field list' »

Which also makes sense, as the database was not changed during the installation.

If someone could explain to me, why this is happening, and how I could solve it, I'd be most grateful!

Server: Linux
    PHP: 5.3.3
    MySQL: 5.1.61
      • 169 Posts
      I am dealing with a similar upgrade and migration today.

I tried to import my mysql backup file onto a clean install of 1.0.14 and I got the same error.

That problem comes from 1.0.14 using an additional/new table 'alias_visible'.

My database from 1.0.10 doesn't contain it.

I successfully upgraded by copying the vanilla modx 1.0.14 files right onto the server copying over my 1.0.10 files.
      Then ran the installer and selected upgrade. The modx installer updated my mysql database to include that field.

Now I am clicking through the Quick Manager configuration, and just got it to work properly by trying different load settings for js. It was coming up blank originally. All good now.
      [ed. note: markoj last edited this post 9 years, 9 months ago.]
        www.markojokic.com
        • 169 Posts
        Now that I got the bare basics running right I moved onto checking other things and ran into another problem.

I tried to edit a template and upon saving, I get the message:

The page you are trying to access is restricted due to a security rule.

If you believe the security rule is affecting the normal operation of your website, contact your host support team and provide detailed instructions how to recreate this error.
        They will be able to assist you with rectifying the problem and adjusting the security configuration if needed.

I don't know if this is a message generated by modx or my hosting, but it appears in the modx manager window where the template was.

It does NOT happen when I edit and save chunks, snippets or plugins. Those work fine.

UPDATE: I can edit and save the MODXxHost template that comes with the demo content, but none of my own... somehow the permissions for mine didn't stick during the upgrade? Does any one know where there are permissions for the templates? [ed. note: markoj last edited this post 9 years, 9 months ago.]
          www.markojokic.com
          • 169 Posts
          Ok, I talked to my host about the error in the above post, they replied:

The eror was due to our mod_security which can be disabled

and they added this to the .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_security.c> 

SecFilterEngine Off 

</IfModule>

I hope that helps anyone out there, who runs into that wierd issue.
            www.markojokic.com
            • 21 Posts
            Quote from: markoj at Jul 23, 2014, 06:31 PM

Now I am clicking through the Quick Manager configuration, and just got it to work properly by trying different load settings for js. It was coming up blank originally. All good now.

I am having the same problem with Quick Manager coming up blank after the upgrade to 1.0.14 could you please what load settings did you change and where to find them?

Thanks

Ok I think I've got it under the configuration tab in edit plugin I changed the first load setting "Load jQuery in manager" to TRUE.

Thanks again. [ed. note: chedwa last edited this post 9 years, 8 months ago.]
              • 169 Posts
              Glad you got it, chedwa.

I don't know if you use maxigallery... if you do, check out this method to get the "manage pictures" button into the Quick Manager bar:

http://forums.modx.com/thread/92580/quick-manager-qm-with-a-button-for-maxigallery
                www.markojokic.com