We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 433 Posts
    I'm checking out Sterc SEO Tab 1.0.0 (http://modx.com/extras/package/seotab), but there isn't any documentation. How do I use this add-on?

Thanks!
      • 20 Posts
      Hi Michelle,

It is quite simple. Just install the package from the package manager.

In the resources you get an extra tab called SEO, here you can set extra SEO thingies wink
      There is a Dutch Lexicon, so it should add some extra insights.

You can add 301 redirects to redirect old URL's to the current resource.
      Change the settings for the findability.
      And let your client set the freeze-uri for a document.

Give it a try.

En anders mail je me even en help ik je verder wink
        Developer @ Sterc bureau voor internet & marketing
        • 433 Posts
        Hi Friso,

Bedankt voor je snelle reactie smiley

I did install the package and I see the extra tab (looks good!) but I was wondering if I should add anything to my templates (for example the index/follow meta tag?) to reflect the settings for each page. This does not seem to be inserted automatically.
          • 20 Posts
          Quote from: michelle84 at Dec 16, 2013, 01:49 PM
          Hi Friso,

Bedankt voor je snelle reactie smiley

I did install the package and I see the extra tab (looks good!) but I was wondering if I should add anything to my templates (for example the index/follow meta tag?) to reflect the settings for each page. This does not seem to be inserted automatically.

The nofollow / noindex tag -if applied- will automatically be added to the head.
          Make sure you have a modx 2.2.X install.
            Developer @ Sterc bureau voor internet & marketing
            • 416 Posts
            Is there a way to set default values or are they already set?

On the findability tab, the pull down for inclusion for search engines is blank. If my client creates a new page and doesn't check this what is the default value?

On the googlesite map tab, the inclusion in the googlesite map appears to be do not include. Same question is the default to Not include. Can we change this?

I'm concerned that some clients will not always remember to visit this tab or know what any of it means.

Thanks for a great addon!

Terry
              • 416 Posts
              "Bump"
              • I added an old URL to the 301 Redirect list, but when I call up the old url, it does not lead the user to the article. It directs them to the parent resource of the article.
                I am using it with Articles. Anyone have an idea?
                  Benjamin Davis: American web designer living in Munich, Germany and a MODX Ambassador. I am also co-founder of SEDA.digital, a MODX Agency.
                  • 534 Posts
                  Quote from: terrybarth at Mar 07, 2014, 05:07 PM
                  Is there a way to set default values or are they already set?

On the findability tab, the pull down for inclusion for search engines is blank. If my client creates a new page and doesn't check this what is the default value?

On the googlesite map tab, the inclusion in the googlesite map appears to be do not include. Same question is the default to Not include. Can we change this?

I'm concerned that some clients will not always remember to visit this tab or know what any of it means.

Thanks for a great addon!

Terry

when I have a look at https://github.com/Sterc/SEOTab/blob/master/core/components/stercseo/elements/plugins/stercseo.plugin.php it seems that default values are set like this:

if(empty($properties)){
                  			$properties = array(
                  				'index' => '1',
                  				'follow' => '1',
                  				'sitemap' => '1',
                  				'priority' => '0.5',
                  				'changefreq' => 'weekly',
                  				//'urls' => $modx->fromJSON($_POST['urls'])
                  			);
                  		}

so as far as I can guess, by default pages will be indexed, followed and included in the sitemap =)

Quote from: sonicpunk at Apr 10, 2014, 04:13 PM
                  I added an old URL to the 301 Redirect list, but when I call up the old url, it does not lead the user to the article. It directs them to the parent resource of the article.
                  I am using it with Articles. Anyone have an idea?

this has it's source probably in the following section of the above linked plugin

case 'OnPageNotFound':
                  		$convertedUrl = str_replace('/', '_/', ltrim($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], '/'));
                  		$alreadyExists = $modx->getObject('modResource', array(
                  			'properties:LIKE' => '%"'.$convertedUrl.'"%'
                  		));
                  		if($alreadyExists){
                  			$url = $modx->makeUrl($alreadyExists->get('id'));
                  			$modx->sendRedirect($url, 0, 'REDIRECT_HEADER', 'HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');
                  		}
                  		break;

// maybe you can add some debugging code to check what is passed, like:
                  	case 'OnPageNotFound':
                  		$convertedUrl = str_replace('/', '_/', ltrim($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], '/'));
                  		$modx->log(modX::LOG_LEVEL_ERROR, '$convertedUrl = ' . $convertedUrl); // add this to see what's passed
                  		$alreadyExists = $modx->getObject('modResource', array(
                  			'properties:LIKE' => '%"'.$convertedUrl.'"%'
                  		));
                  		if($alreadyExists){
                  			$url = $modx->makeUrl($alreadyExists->get('id'));
                  			$modx->sendRedirect($url, 0, 'REDIRECT_HEADER', 'HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');
                  		}
                  		break;

• 290 Posts
                    I get nothing from this add-on. Nothing added to the head, no sitemap is produced (though nowhere is it stated exactly how the add-on works with sitemaps), nothing is added to htaccess (if this is where 301 redirects are added --- again, nothing is provided to identify this).
                      • 1,572 Posts
                      Quote from: wpicotte at Feb 03, 2015, 01:20 AM
                      I get nothing from this add-on. Nothing added to the head, no sitemap is produced (though nowhere is it stated exactly how the add-on works with sitemaps), nothing is added to htaccess (if this is where 301 redirects are added --- again, nothing is provided to identify this).

Same here using the latest 2.3 modx install, it doesn't appear to do anything apart from add the tab for us to be able to select options that do nothing shocked(