We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Hello Dave,

You might want to have a look at this post (http://forums.modx.com/thread/91922/is-collections-the-new-articles), which should answer most of your questions. In short, Articles isn't being actively developed, however there are several "better" methods to create a blog.

If you are looking for the best blogging experience WordPress is king, however when it comes to managing a website MODX has the advantage in my book. You can create a decent blogging experience with MODX using tools such as Collections, Tagger, and pdoTools (or getResources/getPage). If you need comments I would suggest a hosted solution like Disqus over Quip, but that's a personal preference.

Commonly used addons such as Articles will be updated for use with 2.3 before it's released, so I wouldn't worry much on that front.
      Patrick | Server Wrangler
      About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
      • 384 Posts
      Quote from: AMDbuilder at Jul 11, 2014, 08:54 AM
      Hello Dave,
      You can create a decent blogging experience with MODX using tools such as Collections, Tagger, and pdoTools (or getResources/getPage). If you need comments I would suggest a hosted solution like Disqus over Quip, but that's a personal preference.

Agree with this and they're all great tools. Before Articles was released, I started building my blogs the manual way and learnt a ton about getResources and Quip etc that I'd never have learnt by just using Articles.

The problem IMHO is that we no longer have a complete package we can download, install and setup in minutes.
      It's slightly more involvement for a developer to create a blog and it's way more difficult for my clients to create their own blogs.

To give a real world example, one of my clients has a site consisting almost entirely of about 15 Article blogs. He's become very comftrable spinning out his own Articles blogs within his site and selecting his template etc. I hate to think that his site is essentially stuck now at 2.2 and leans heavily on an Extra that is "not currently actively developed".

• 436 Posts
        FYI, Articles is now 2.3 compatible as of an hour or so ago.

https://github.com/modxcms/revolution/issues/11630