We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 712 Posts
    A lot has changed since the original Articles Roadmap was published.
    http://rtfm.modx.com/extras/revo/articles/articles.roadmap

It has since changed owners and we've heard a lot of feedback about what is important from the community.
    This post is a place to discuss a new roadmap and how to handle breaking changes moving forward.

Please note that Articles is now being developed over at the modxcms/Articles repository:
    ttps://github.com/modxcms/Articles/
      jpdevries
      • 179 Posts
      I see that the roadmap includes matters of convenience, and social networking. Posting posts from different sources, and to different platforms. We've had pings and trackbacks and stuff, but what hasn't been dealt with yet is the *basics* of blogging.

I also note that Articles removes us from the natural order and rhythm of Modx, to some degree, changing the way the 'post' resources are displayed in the manager. Why go to the trouble if changing the UI and not present the user with one of the cornerstones of blog category management: a tickbox category list?

I can implement a blog, with tags, and no complaints. Advanced bloggers might well want the social networking conveniences, so to have them is certainly great, but it feels rather like we've skipped step one, and I'm still unable to recommend Modx for blogging if I suspect my client might want to put posts in more than one category. It's not impossible to workaround - I use weblinks for my own blog and it's worked relatively well, but it's a crowbar solution to a problem.

Further, I used Articles once, largely for experimentation, but also because I suspected the client would struggle to blog, so it likely wouldn't be a problem for them to be limited to one category per post. Having used it that once, I can't be sure that using it didn't actually remove the weblink option from the table. Can the two be used together? Does Articles actually take a step *back* if categories are you concern?
        • 712 Posts
        Quote from: davidsmith at Oct 14, 2013, 10:05 PM
        I see that the roadmap includes matters of convenience, and social networking. Posting posts from different sources, and to different platforms. We've had pings and trackbacks and stuff, but what hasn't been dealt with yet is the *basics* of blogging.

I'd like to see the commenting system abstracted to support third party systems other than Quip.

I also note that Articles removes us from the natural order and rhythm of Modx, to some degree, changing the way the 'post' resources are displayed in the manager. Why go to the trouble if changing the UI and not present the user with one of the cornerstones of blog category management: a tickbox category list?

I didn't understand why certain things like the Clear Cache checkbox, or rich_text were removed from Articles. Normal resources have them, why shouldn't Articles. A few small improvements like this have been made to the Articles UI since 1.6.x, but nothing groundbreaking.

I can implement a blog, with tags, and no complaints. Advanced bloggers might well want the social networking conveniences, so to have them is certainly great, but it feels rather like we've skipped step one, and I'm still unable to recommend Modx for blogging if I suspect my client might want to put posts in more than one category. It's not impossible to workaround - I use weblinks for my own blog and it's worked relatively well, but it's a crowbar solution to a problem.

Further, I used Articles once, largely for experimentation, but also because I suspected the client would struggle to blog, so it likely wouldn't be a problem for them to be limited to one category per post. Having used it that once, I can't be sure that using it didn't actually remove the weblink option from the table. Can the two be used together? Does Articles actually take a step *back* if categories are you concern?

This is really the biggest problem with Articles 1.x. There is no category support at all and as you mentioned, any way you would traditional accomplish something like this with Symlinks or Weblinks is not achievable. Along with this reason and the desire to rework the UI, Articles 2.x may be a rewrite with an Import option that supports Articles 1.x.

jpdevries
          • 143 Posts
          My biggest request is to make articles use the standard modx UI.
            Eighth day design
            Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
            • 165 Posts
            I quite like Articles, but it is essentially just that. It's the absolute basics of blogging. Categories is a must, tagging works fine but it would be good to have more control over the container page output, and would also be nice for the options to be made more obvious, and remove the fluff that isn't required.

One of my annoyances with it is that the default chunks for everything are NOT shown in the elements tree. Took me a while to find them at first. They should all be there so you can very quickly find and duplicate them for your own purposes. Things like the pagination - why are the chunks set out like that in settings? Why aren't they just in chunks where you'd expect to find them?

I agree with commenting, nice to have Quip integration but I'd usually drop Diqus in there instead, so would be useful to have an option on install whether or not you want Quip - no point it being installed if you don't need it and won't use it! Also, throw away the default "sample" templates. They're a mess. Just include the absolute basics people need/want - like a boilerplate - not a full theme nobody is going to use. This will also remove pretty much 50% of the "Advanced Settings" - because nearly half of it is for commenting!

Probably goes against the point of MODX with you being able to make what you want of it, but every time I use Articles, I ALWAYS want the option of a post image, why not include this by default? I've seen other people mention on the forums they want this too. http://forums.modx.com/thread/87179/how-to-enter-article-specific-tvs#dis-post-480280 - for example.
            • Category support is a must in my opinion. The rest is spot on wink
                GEL STUDIOS
                MODX Professional | MODX Ambassador

Website | Email | Twitter | Facebook
                • 384 Posts
                +1 for Category support

Regarding the default theme, can I suggest that any default Articles templates are responsive by default? I'm thinking here mainly of new users. Personally I'd like to see Twitter Bootstrap 3 used but there are others who use Foundation and Skeleton etc. worth a discussion?
                  • 712 Posts
                  Quote from: eladnova at Oct 15, 2013, 06:05 PM
                  +1 for Category support

Regarding the default theme, can I suggest that any default Articles templates are responsive by default? I'm thinking here mainly of new users. Personally I'd like to see Twitter Bootstrap 3 used but there are others who use Foundation and Skeleton etc. worth a discussion?

I'd love for people to create more themes for Articles. How to handle switching between them is something that would probably still need to be figured out.
                    jpdevries
                  • FAO JP.

If you'd like for someone to jump in and make a new articles 2.0 default responsive theme, I'd be more than happy to dedicate a few hours of my time for such a purpose smiley

G
                      GEL STUDIOS
                      MODX Professional | MODX Ambassador

Website | Email | Twitter | Facebook
                    • composer like dependency manager? smiley
                      so its installer won't override existing packages.
                        Rico
                        Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas A. Edison
                        MODx is great, but knowing how to use it well makes it perfect!

www.virtudraft.com

Security, security, security! | Indonesian MODx Forum | MODx Revo's cheatsheets | MODx Evo's cheatsheets

Author of Easy 2 Gallery 1.4.x, PHPTidy, spieFeed, FileDownload R, Upload To Users CMP, Inherit Template TV, LexRating, ExerPlan, Lingua, virtuNewsletter, Grid Class Key, SmartTag, prevNext

Maintainter/contributor of Babel

Because it's hard to follow all topics on the forum, PING ME ON TWITTER @_goldsky if you need my help.