We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 129 Posts
    I am getting beat by Articles ... but then I am a beginner smiley

I am trying to create a blog area for our new website. I am using one of our templates, with articles tags in the content area.
    [[+articles]]
    [[+paging]]

I have modified the ArticleRowTemplate to be two divs side by side, one with verbiage (title, post, date, etc) and one for a photo or graphic. The functionality and template for showing latest posts works just fine.

I created a TV called blogimage, put it under Articles in the TV tree. I changed the Include TVs to yes and added the name to the box below that (also the Process TV) in Advanced Settings on my blog resource. I checked that TV as being included in the main template and the Articles containers. But I will be darned if I can figure out how to have a TV entry input appear on the New Article or Edit Article forms. The only place it appears is on the main blog resource form under Template Variables tab.

How do I set this up, so that I can add a different photo with each article?

My other question which may be more appropriate as a separate thread, how can one control the template post by post for a latest post page. ie: have the most recent post as a full width div, then posts 2, 3, 4, 5, etc as smaller divs that can be floated two or three in a row.

Pedalers Bicycle Tours my website forged with MODX
      vandergraaf-M static website generator for MODX
      • 165 Posts
      I use TVs for both Articles containers and individual posts and they work correctly for me. All I did to set them up was create a TV, add it to the Articles category and ensure that the template access included ticks for both my Article and ArticleContainer templates. I get a Template Variables tab on the main Articles container for a global landing set of TVs, and when I go to edit an individual article, I can see post specific template variables in a Template Variables tab. I've not messed in advanced settings too much, but if it helps I have the following enabled:

Include TVs in Listing: Yes
      Process TVs in Listing: No
      Include TVs List: (empty)

• 165 Posts
        Quote from: mrcycling at Oct 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
        I am getting beat by Articles ... but then I am a beginner smiley
        My other question which may be more appropriate as a separate thread, how can one control the template post by post for a latest post page. ie: have the most recent post as a full width div, then posts 2, 3, 4, 5, etc as smaller divs that can be floated two or three in a row.

The default Articles placeholder
        [[+articles]]
        I'm pretty sure just does a fetch resources and paginates them automatically, so I guess it wouldn't be too big a deal to change that for two getPage/getResources call, first one gets the newest article, and give it a "showcase" type chunk tpl, and the second fetches x number of other articles, styled using a "recent post" chunk tpl or something, and then just use offset from the options for the snippet so it doesn't fetch your most recent one from the first call as well. Probably not explained that very well, but does that sort of make sense?
          • 129 Posts
          Thanks, I tried changing the few variables you suggested, but still have no way to enter data for the TV, there is no template variables tab on New Articles or Edit Articles. The blogimage TV only shows on the main articles page in the TV tab.

You second post makes sense and follows the logic I had guessed, but I have no idea to do make it happen.
            • 165 Posts
            Quote from: mrcycling at Oct 15, 2013, 10:38 AM
            Thanks, I tried changing the few variables you suggested, but still have no way to enter data for the TV, there is no template variables tab on New Articles or Edit Articles. The blogimage TV only shows on the main articles page in the TV tab.

What settings do you have for the blogimage TV?

• 129 Posts
              Name: blogimage
              Category: articles
              Input type: textarea
              Output: default
              Template Access: all the articles containers and web templates used
              Everything else: default

• 165 Posts
                Strange, that's pretty much what mine is set to and that works fine. Have you set some sort of access permissions on it?
                  • 129 Posts
                  Not that I am aware of.
                    • 165 Posts
                    Quote from: mrcycling at Oct 15, 2013, 10:53 AM
                    Not that I am aware of.

Very strange. Do you want me to have a quick look in the manager for you see if I can see anything out of place?
                      • 129 Posts
                      I appreciate the offer, but have to step out a bit for a meeting. Will resume this battle later.