We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    For new Resources in MODX, you can set a future publication date so that the new content won't appear until that date, but sometimes you want to stage changes to an existing Resource and not have the changes appear until a future date. That's exactly what StageCoach does for you.

StageCoach creates a "staged" version of the Resource that will replace the original at the specified date and time. All you need to do is set the date in the "Stage Date" TV.

The new version has been refactored to use the OnWebPageInit event, which makes it more reliable for use with cached resources. An option to update the publishedon date has been added and some minor bugs have been fixed.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 406 Posts
      Nice idea, I had to read this several times to understand it's for existing/current resources.
      Maybe underline word 'existing'??
      Thank you for putting it together. smiley tom
        • 20 Posts
        Just wanna say that this would have saved me a lot of time in the past and is a brilliant idea. Looking forward to an excuse to us this. Go Bob, go.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Thanks for the kinds words. smiley
            My MODX Extras
          • Does this have to be used with a "timed" publishing model? Or can you simply use it to view staged changes, then replace the published resource at the moment you decide you're satisfied with the changes?
              • 24,544 Posts
              I've never tried this, but offhand it should work. Set a stage date in the future, save the resource, and edit the staged resource until you like it.

Then edit the original resource and set the stage date to the current time or earlier (click on the Date part of the StageDate TV and click on "Today", then click on the time part and select any time prior to the current time). The next visitor to the page should see the updated version and the staged version will be deleted.

Let me know if it works.
                My MODX Extras
                • 535 Posts
                Just...wow.

In some sites, i had to replace some fresh content in the middle of the night but with this... OMG i can go to party smiley !!!

Very nice concept ! Thank you !
                  CTRL+SHIFT+U - Clear Cache
                  CTRL+SHIFT+H - Hiding Heft Panel
                  CTRL+SHIFT+N - Fast Create Resource
                  CTRL+ALT+P - Preview Recource (in edit resorce window)
                  CTRL+ALT+S - Save
                  • 8 Posts
                  Bob, does this work with TVs that are also showing up within the resource? I've had had no success getting it to work with TVs. Here are my steps...

1. Go to existing resource and set stagecoach to some future date. Save.
                  2. Go to duplicate page in Staged Resources and edit content area.
                  3. Edit TVs that are associated with staged resource in TV tab. Save.
                  4. Go to the live page after date/time of publish. Content is updated, TVs not updated, Staged Resource page is gone.

Thanks for any insight.

Tony
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    From the docs: wink

In order to speed up the initial page loads, StageCoach does not update TVs by default. If you will be changing the values of any TVs in the staged Resource, be sure to set the stagecoach_include_tvs System Setting to Yes.
                      My MODX Extras
                      • 8 Posts
                      Bob, you are awesome. Thank you. smiley

Tony