We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 149 Posts
    Starbuck, if you are ready to take a participation in beta (or maybe alpha smiley ) testing - I would be glad )
    Now all you need is to install AjaxManager (make sure /manager/ folder is writable).
    There are few known issues, so sometimes you have to press F5. Please report any bug if you have a time.
    Known issues:
    1) multiple loading of panels (two or more at once), so don't click repeatedly while loading panel )). I'll fix it later.
    2) there is no Browse Packages button on first Packages Panel loading
    3) TinyMCE and CodeMirror don't work. So, use CKEditor (for now it has some functional restrictions), and Ace.
    4) Extras are not ajaxified. And it seems will not ((

To remove AjaxManager, don't press Remove Package! Use Uninstall button, and select Restore radio, otherwise you get broken Manager. Anyway, if you get it broken, just reupload manager folder form distro.
      • 149 Posts
      Mark Hamstra, the $modx object is not available while installing package, so I can't check MODx version.
      • Quote from: danya_postfactum at Jan 10, 2013, 06:54 AM
        Mark Hamstra, the $modx object is not available while installing package, so I can't check MODx version.

Tried $object->xpdo as well? I think that should work but haven't tried.
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
          • 143 Posts
          I installed AjaxManager today and while the UI was behaving a bit differently for the better, there were other issues. The Manager was unresponsive, and eventually only displayed the top menu bar. Once in a while the dashboard would display but not the resource pane. As discussed in another thread I was trying to improve performance and turned on compress_js. From that point nothing would load. I manually edited the database to disable compress_js and AjaxManager. I was able to get back to the package manager. I immediately UNinstalled AjaxManager.

The browser came back with:
          Could not find action file at: /home/fatcat/modx.nebula-rnd.com/manager/controllers/default/workspaces.php

Couldn't find it? I went to the site and sure enough, there is no longer anything under manager/controllers. The whole thing got blown away. I restored the default tree under that from a backup that's now a couple weeks old. There's no workspaces.php anywhere in there either.

Now it's back to where it was, always a menu, occasionally a dashboard, no resources, and no functionality.

I went back into the database and turned off all of the individual cache and compress settings. I ran CacheClear and refreshed the browser. No joy. I tried using the manager menu option to clear locks. It said Access Denied. Hmmm. I tried to access my user, Denied. Logout, Denied. Flush all sessions, Denied. I don't know if the access controls in the database are messed up or if my local cache is holding. I'm getting the same results with FF and IE. Need to clear cookies on both for this domain.

I renamed the cache directory and created a new one with 775 permissions. Refreshed browser. Still no good.
          I manually deleted the cookies for this site. Finally, got logged out. Tried to log back in.
          Firebug reports none of the modext scripts are available. Sure enough, manager/assets/modext is gone too. Restore from backup.

FINALLY got the manager back. It's slow as hell (average page load 20+ seconds) but I can deal with that for now.

My summary:
          1) DO NOT INSTALL AJAX MANAGER!
          2) IF YOU HAVE AJAX MANAGER, DO NOT UNINSTALL IT!
            Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
            • 149 Posts
            Sorry, but you should read installation instructions:
            Installation Instructions

Important: You have to update your modx to 2.2.6-pl !

Important: This package will modify your manager assets and controllers. Make sure your manager folder is writable !

Important: Check Restore radio in Uninstall dialog if you will have to uninstall AjaxManager!

Install via Package Browser, clear MODX cache, set the list of your working correctly components in ajaxmanager.compatible_namespaces system setting.

You probably had to clear browser cache by Ctrl+F5 or enable/disable compress_js

I'm waiting for MODX 2.3 to commit my patches, but I don't think this happens soon.

I'm using AjaxManager on all my sites and have no problem, really. But I know, problems are possible in some cases (wrong chmod, MODX or browser cache, some extras etc)
              • 143 Posts
              I understand it's beta and I followed all of the above instructions - except that I did not check Restore. I wanted this thing out of my system which simply didn't work with the package installed anyway. That said, the package is still downloaded, just uninstalled.

As described in this post on optimization, I cleared server and client cache many times.

In a recent post here you did say
              To remove AjaxManager, don't press Remove Package! Use Uninstall button, and select Restore radio, otherwise you get broken Manager. Anyway, if you get it broken, just reupload manager folder form distro.
              Indeed you provided a warning which I missed, and I had a broken manager. But restore the whole thing from distro!?

No plugin should be as destructive as this was to the environment. What possible reason would you have to delete the entire managers/controllers/default tree, and managers/assets/modext? What else got wiped out that I might not know yet?

Do I need to reinstall and reconfigure the CMS and other addons (site data separate of course)? I have no idea yet how I would install other addons and get them to use existing settings. And at this point I don't remember what minor code tweaks I made that I was hoping to contribute back here.
                Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
                • 149 Posts
                AjaxManager updates manager/controllers/default and manager/assets/modext. It does not handle merging process itself. This is part of standart MODX package handling: MODx saves current objects (folder contents) into zip-archives, and then inject new files. That's all. To make MODX to restore previous folder contents you have to set Restore radio, otherwise MODX will just remove these objects (folders). If you missed this, you can just reupload (merge with current lame one) manager folder from MODX distro.
                  • 143 Posts
                  I appreciate your patience... I have found the zzz.preserved.zip files created during the AjaxManager install. One has the 'default' tree and the other has modext. Looking at timestamps, I installed Group Edit and MIGX after AjaxManager. However, they do not have zips in the modPlugin folder. MIGX was later uninstalled.

It seems safe to assume that I can replace the default and modext folders with those backups? Do you agree?

Spacibo.
                    • 149 Posts
                    As I know, none of extras uses /manager/ folder except my ones (ace, ckeditor, ajaxmanager), so you can safely use default /manager/ folder. Or you can unpack zips you are talking about.

AjaxManager is beta because of modx patch. But there is another problem - bad third-party extras. Devs will not fix extras until AjaxManager is used, and AjaxManager will not be used until it works with extras. So, AjaxManager will never be used by regular modx users ) . So, I need feedback from testers. I send patches to extra devs to get AM working with must-have extras when MODX 2.3 is released.
                      • 143 Posts
                      I installed Ace and CKEditor before AjaxManager. On your confirmation I'll use the zzz.preserved.zip data rather than default. Do Ace and CKEditor actually modify those folders? Are specific permissions required on the folders after restore? I don't like 777 permissions.

Anything else that needs to be changed to get back to the baseline?

Thanks again.