We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 143 Posts
    I've just started to use ModX, please forgive what might be a complete noob question, but I have tried to research this...

I'm surprised that so many of the /manager operations are not ajaxified. Save a resource or perform another action and the whole screen refreshes. Is there a setting to ajaxify this environment or is that just the way it works? I know this CMS has roots going back quite a long time, but that page-at-a-time posting mechanism is a bit "last decade". wink

Thanks!
      Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
    • Most actions are definitely ajaxified, but there are a couple things that currently need a refresh. Creating a resource refreshes to the resource/update panel, and changing a template on a resource needs a refresh to load the proper TVs and form customization.

What kind of things are you doing that needs a refresh?

There's a community built AjaxManager plugin that loads in most panels through ajax too, but as it relies on a core hack and other extras need to be updated to work with it too, so I can't really recommend it.
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 149 Posts
        I would like to add that AjaxManager now works with Ace and CKeditor editors without any hacks, and there is no errors using third-party components having Custom Manager Pages (but they are not ajaxified). All you need is to `hack` your core. I think about including core patch into AjaxManager package.
          • 143 Posts
          Thanks for responses so far.

Quote from: markh at Dec 25, 2012, 03:07 AM
          What kind of things are you doing that needs a refresh?
          Go to the resources tab.
          Click on any resource.
          The entire screen refreshes with each resource click.

Go to the Elements tab.
          Click on any template
          The entire screen refreshes with each template click.

Same for clicking on any TV, Chunk, Snippet, or Plugin.

I'm not talking about editing and saving, just mean selecting a resource or element to open it.

Firefox17/Win7
            Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
          • Ah, right, yeah, all that stuff opens a new page. All of them do also offer a right click -> quick update which brings them into a modal window, but that can be limiting. You did just spot on describe the kind of things AjaxManager does. tongue
              Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
              • 149 Posts
              I have updated AjaxManager. Now it works out of box, but still requires manager folder to be writable.
              • Wasn't your pull request queued for 2.3? Can't say I'm too happy you're now including a core hack/patch in a package, though I'll just blame it on Jason for making transport packages too damn flexible!! tongue I just hope you're not blindly overwriting the entire manager directory and doing some proper checks on the version before writing to it.

• 149 Posts
                  No, sorry, there is no checks smiley I have pointed this requirement in the Installation Instructions. I can't push my patches because I am not sure this works well, so I need some feedback from AjaxManager users. But since AjaxManager required additional manipulations, there is no it's users (and feedback) enough. My patch can break a grid row (and tree node) Remove action in some panels (of the core or an extra).
                    • 143 Posts
                    I'll avoid the procedural issue brought up by mark and focus on my problem. Since I have a new installation I'll be happy to alpha/beta the update if it stands to improve the UEX as I describe. As a new user I might click something that should work which others might not click just out of habit. I'm a developer and do betas all the time - and I have my own software going out for beta from time to time. I understand the consequences and the value.

So is it ready to load? And what all should I do to get it to work in its current state? Please feel free to PM to avoid cluttering this thread.

Thanks!

• 143 Posts
                      Coming back to this.

Is AjaxManager ready for a beta in the field?

To confirm - will it ajaxify the manager functions I mentioned previously without any manual core hacks?

What might the consequences be for trying it?

Will it reverse out cleanly with an UnInstall?

Thanks!