We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Endless save/save loop/endless save graphic/save looping

OK, so I'm trying to make sure all the keywords are in this thread because the search here is underwhelming at best.

This issue peeks up now and again, but it is NEVER resolved. I've searched and searched, and watched for solutions that work but it's always left unsolved in every thread. There are speculative discussions of compress_js/cs, tinyMCE, a key phrase in the content, container only, resources only, etc. but not any clear reason why it happens or what could fix it.

I think it's time to figure it out and put some real solutions in one thread so people can find it.

It seems to occur only in Chrome for me, and it's happening in Chrome for Dad too. Firefox does not have an issue on my end and apparently Dad isn't interested in Firefox enough to try it. (he's one of those IE lovers... it was hard enough to get him to install Chrome for MODX. big sigh...)

My Chrome is a fresh install with no add ons or plugins installed at all and I think Dad's Chrome is untouched by plugins as well. At least it's just dad's site, he forgives me at will so it's not the end of the world and he's not going to shop me because his site won't refresh after saving. But another client would complain much more, for sure.

It's occurred for me at some point in every installation from 2.0 up. I was using Chrome exclusively for MODX, but then I lost the ability to browse files when inserting images and I went back to Firefox. The new Chrome install (new win7 machine) does not seem to have this issue, but does have the save loop issue.

Refreshing the page works, the resource is saved. I've tried it on containers, non-containers, articles container, articles pages, and various elements. Elements (tv's, chunks, etc.) save fine.

Let's talk about this and find a real solution please?
      Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
      "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
      Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
      • 863 Posts
      The problem here could be, well, anything.

The best you can do is to try and debug the ajax call when saving. To do this, open up Dev Tools in Chrome before attempting the save, click the Network tab, and then select XHR at the bottom. Now try to save again.

In Dev Tools, you'll see in the left panel a request to 'connector.php' - select that and details related to that request will be shown in the right panel. Click the Response tab and if something went wrong during the save then an error message should be shown there.

Then you can post the error message here and we'll have some idea of what the problem is and where it is occurring.
        • 24,544 Posts
        FWIW, I'm using Chrome 19 and I've never seen that, though I do get a blank console in the Package Manager when I install a package immediately after searching locally for packages. I can prevent that reliably by reloading the Manager page first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 2 Posts
          I have the same problem, but in my case it's Safari 6.0 that does NOT work, whereas Firefox 14.0.1 DOES work. By that I mean that in Safari, I get the endless saving loop; it does save resource content changes, but will not save resource template changes. You have to force a reload of the site, to see if the content has been saved. Firefox, on the other hand, works without problem.

- Server OS: Linux running Apache
          - Server Version: huh
          - PHP Version: 5.2
          - MySQL Version: 5.0.92 database version, 5.0.77 client API version
          - your Browser type and version: Safari 6.0
          - No opcode caching

The error log contains only two entries:

[2012-08-07 14:01:16] (ERROR @ /connectors/element/propertyset.php) Error caching lexicon topic lexicon/en/core/default
          [2012-08-07 14:01:16] (ERROR @ /connectors/element/propertyset.php) Error caching action map mgr/actions
            • 24,544 Posts
            Failure to save template changes is almost always due to a mismatch between the MODX date_timezone setting and the server, PHP, and/or MySQL settings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • It looks like my Chrome issue was with an extension. So far so good with saving in Chrome after disabling it.

The offending extension is:
              Website Logon 1.0

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
                • 212 Posts
                Quote from: okyanet at Jun 08, 2012, 02:07 AM
                The problem here could be, well, anything. The best you can do is to try and debug the ajax call when saving. To do this, open up Dev Tools in Chrome before attempting the save, click the Network tab, and then select XHR at the bottom. Now try to save again.
                Hi Lucas,
                we get an endless saving loop, too; but only on using a certain template. All our other templates work without problems. In the Dev Tools we get for XHR: "500 Internal Server Error".

Do you have any idea what could therefore the reason for the saving loop when using our "problem template"?

Letti
                  • 863 Posts
                  @Letti - could be something to do with one of the TVs attached to the template? Remove them all from that current template and try to save; if it works then you know what the problem is.

You'll get a more informative error message if you turn on php error reporting.
                    • 212 Posts
                    Quote from: okyanet at Oct 16, 2012, 12:21 AM
                    @Letti - could be something to do with one of the TVs attached to the template? Remove them all from that current template and try to save; if it works then you know what the problem is.
                    Good idea. The TVs could be the reason. Btw: The endless-saving-problems started after upgrading from Revo 2.2.2 -> 2.2.5. Maybe we have a depricated type of TV in this template or something like this ...

• 212 Posts
                      Ok the causing TV is found. It is a TV of type "number". Output type: default. The TV is not used directly in the template. It is only made for uploading the site via an API to inform which other site has to be uploaded (contains the id of another resource).

Do you have any idea what could be wrong with this TV or we can find out what could be the reason?