We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Hi, I have been struggling with trying to get Facebook login to work with my website. I originally tried to use fbLogin rc2, but it would not install from the package manager, giving me a "package could not be found" error every time. So I manually installed the fbLogin rc1 and gave it a shot and configured it per the read me instructions. What happened with rc1 was when a user would click the connect to facebook button, the site would go into an infinite redirect loop and would no longer load until the snippet call was taken out of the template. But it did create and add the user to the ModX user database.
    Frustrated that I could not figure out how to stop it from doing the infinite redirect loop, I tried to install rc2 again, and this time it successfully installed. I believe it had to be something to do with having rc1 installed already that solved the install issue before because I had been trying for over a week to get rc2 to not fail installation. Anyway, where I stand now is with fbLogin rc2 configured properly per instructions of the readme and http://www.hyper-typer.com/news/facebook-login-modx is that when a user clicks the facebook connect button, if they are not logged in to facebook in their browser, it will bring them to the facebook login page but when they click Login it will bring them to a white page that contains only the facebook connect logo button under my site url. Instead of redirecting them to the page id specified in the system settings. And if the user is already logged into facebook and clicks the facebook connect button they are brought to the same white page with the facebook connect button. The id that is linked to the facebook connect button click (after a user is logged into facebook) is one of the hidden pages created by the fbLogin installer, I do not know which one it is because they are hidden to me in the resource tree and I am not sure if there is a way to show hidden resources (this is my first website using ModX). But I can say it is the third hidden page, I know this because the id was 50 but then I unistalled and reinstalled fbLogin and the id changed to 53. It is still creating the users in the ModX user database also.
    My php skills are very limited, so looking at the php files I am unable to come up with a reason as to why this is happening. I only changed the system settings via the installer all of the actual php code is unchanged.
    Note: I have the Login addon configured and working properly with a dedicated login page, update profile page, and logout page. I configured the Login addon to work with the Personalize addon as well. My ModX version is: MODX Revolution 2.2.0-pl2 (traditional)

If you want to see for yourself, the site url is http://www.ontocalypse.com

So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or is having this problem. Any help with this issue would be much appreciated! smiley [ed. note: komitsu last edited this post 12 years, 1 month ago.]
      • 93 Posts
      I inadvertently introduced a bug in rc2 that prevented the category being set in the installer so the installation of all snippets and chunks were failing. Fortunately a user on Github advised me of this and I rectified it with rc3.

I've just realised that this addon will only work with friendly URL's switched on as I need to know the URL for the resource that acts as the return location when the user returns from Facebook after adding our app or logging in and I suspect that is the issue you are seeing here.

Support for non-friendly URL sites may come at some point but due to time and resources constraints, I'm afraid I have no immediate plans to add it. I will however, update the blog post and readme to reflect this requirement and my apologies for any confusion.
        • 3 Posts
        Cool, thank you for replying. I haven't worked on the project in a couple months, because I am waiting on my client for certain things so that we can progress in building the site. But, this is great news, sometime this weekend I will see about configuring friendly URL's and install your new version. I'm glad someone did respond finally, because just the other day I was thinking about migrating the site to another CMS so I could meet the client's request of having Facebook Login without having to try and learn how to re-write the Facebook connecting code myself.

Thanks again.
          • 93 Posts
          Its not a huge job to add support for sites with unfriendly URL's now that I think about it. When I get a chance I will update the addon to support that. If you have any other issues let me know - I have subscribed to this thread now so should be able to provide some help.
            • 3 Posts
            Update -

Your add-on worked perfectly after I enabled friendly URL's and installed the new rc3 version. Thanks for the help. If I run into any other problems I'll post em on the forum in a new thread.
              • 93 Posts
              Please use the Github issue tracker. That way I will be notified of problems.
                • 255 Posts
                Just posted an issue on GitHub as well. Seems installer doesn't in 2.2.4. Has anyone had success installing on .2.2.4?
                  • 93 Posts
                  I have installed on 2.2.4 myself without issue - is anything showing in the install process that might be helpful in determining what the issue is?
                    • 255 Posts
                    I posted the console output to Github. Installer stops in the middle basically, and doesn't finish.
                      • 93 Posts
                      Will take a look as soon as I get a chance.