We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 32 Posts
    Hi,

i managed to hide the tabs i wanted to (I renamed "Template Vars" to "Einstellungen") but the description text for some hidden fields (alias, description) are still visable. Is this a bug?

Best,

Mike
      • 13 Posts
      Quote from: michelle84 at Sep 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
      You can hide the tabs articles, templates, advanced settings and comments (but read the end of this post first)

In Form Customisation go to Regions, add a new tab and use the settings below to hide the tabs templates, advanced settings and comments:

Tab templates:
      articles-tab-template

Tab advanced settings:
      articles-tab-advanced-settings

Tab comments:
      articles-tab-comments

But, when saving, leaving the form customisation and return back to it, all the added tabs in FC are gone, and the tabs are back in articles sad

MODX 2.2.4 with Articles 1.6.3

This is the best solution I've found with the addition of one step: add the form customisations to a Form Customisation Profile which is only being applied to the user group your "Content Editer" is a member of, this solves two problems I was having:

1. You can still access advanced Tabs when you need to from the super-admin account
      2. You don't need to add and disable the tabs every time you go to change something in your form customisations for that template
        • 144 Posts
        I've always used the michelle84 solution.
        But today...
        articles-tab-comments remains visible, not hidden!
        Articles 1.7.2 pl , MODX Revolution 2.2.9-pl (traditional)
          ----------------------------------
          canale irc Italiano #modx server: tophost.azzurra.org
          • 151 Posts
          Quote from: mopmodx at Oct 15, 2013, 04:03 PM
          I've always used the michelle84 solution.
          But today...
          articles-tab-comments remains visible, not hidden!
          Articles 1.7.2 pl , MODX Revolution 2.2.9-pl (traditional)

You are right, if I add a new tab under regions, save and leave the form customisation and go back in, the tab is gone!

This should be on the prior list to fix because as an admin you want to prevent those tabs from being changed by a client. Very annoying bug.

Even better, just put the tabs from the articles standard into it, why must we make those tabs ourself?
            • 380 Posts
            Having used Articles on several sites I've decided to drop it on the current project because

1. I realised most of the items in Articles I switched off
            2. It was just a lazy way for me to install some packages for tags, archives etc.
            3. Somethings don't really work, like auto tweeting
            4. It doesn't comply with the standard, like missing fields such as longtitle or alias conventions

In reality all I was using Articles for was an alternate tree view (and I'm not even sure of the benefit of that)

I'd rather see a separate component to allow for "Alternate Tree View" defined for any parent.
              • 433 Posts
              If anyone needs to remove the article content field using Form Customization, here's how to do it.
              The problem is that this is a custom Articles field, so you can't control it with FC (it is a different field than modx-resource-content).

I did the following to be able to remove the field for certain templates.

1) open the database for your site (make a backup) and go to the table 'modx_actions_fields'.
              2) add 2 fields to this table, with following values:

id  | action | name     | type   | tab                   | form                | other    | rank
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              77 | 30      | ta       | field  | modx-resource-content | modx-panel-resource |          | 0
              78 | 55      | ta       | field  | modx-resource-content | modx-panel-resource |          | 0

Make sure the id's increment from the last one in the table, so they could be different from mine.
              'ta' is the id of the special articles content field. I found this name in assets/components/articles/js/article/update.js
              You have to add 2 rows to the table, one for update and one for create.

Now save the new records, clear the cache of the site an refresh the FC page. You will now find a new value 'ta' in the list (under 'Modx-resource-content' which you can disable for certain templates.

Of course this will be undone when you update MODX. I'll also file a bug for this but this is a quick fix. [ed. note: michelle84 last edited this post 10 years, 1 month ago.]
                • 572 Posts
                @michelle84 - Thanks so much for posting this, I've been looking for a solution to this for a while.
                  www.9thwave.co.uk
                     WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
                  • 353 Posts
                  Hi Guys,
                  How do I hide the Template, Advanced Setting and Comments Tabs for specific user groups using the Articles resource/extra? I dont want inexperienced users in there.
                  I'm uncertain re michelle84's suggestion above.
                  Does
                  Tab templates:
                  articles-tab-template

...suggest I create a new tab under regions and set the tab title to "Tab templates" and the id to "articles-tab-template". Do i set it as visible or not? It doesn't seem to impact the tabs in Modx Revo 2.2.14
                  See attached.
                  Thanks
                    • 1 Posts
                    Hello,

In the Form Customisation I created new profil "Content Admins".
                    I have assigned it to the user group "Demo" and activated it.

Permissions in Selected Policy - "Demo"
                    create, dashboards, delete_document, directory_create, edit_document, edit_locked, empty_cache, file_create, file_manager, file_view, frames, home, list, load, logout, menu_site, messages, namespaces, publish_document, resource_quick_create, resource_quick_update, resource_tree, save_document, steal_locks, tree_show_resource_ids, undelete_document, unpublish_document, usergroup_user_edit, view, view_category, view_context, view_document, view_offline, view_unpublished

In the profile I created new set :
                    Action : resource/create
                    Template : (empty)
                    Description : blank
                    Constraint Field : blank
                    Constraint : blank
                    Enable : Yes

Next step, edit set. I disabled option modx-resource-access-permissions and create new tab :
                    ID : articles-tab-template
                    Title : Tab templates
                    Visible : Yes

Also I turned off the visible options and save changes, no change, not work.

Modx version 2.2.14
                    Article version 1.7.6

Unfortunately tab are visible. Need help, please.

OKEY ! NOW WORKS what i change :

In the profile I created new set :
                    Action : resource/update
                    Template : (empty)
                    Description : blank
                    Constraint Field : blank
                    Constraint : blank
                    Enable : Yes

Next step, edit set. I disabled option modx-resource-access-permissions and create new tab :
                    ID : articles-tab-template
                    Title : Tab templates
                    Visible : No
                    [ed. note: createwebsite last edited this post 9 years, 9 months ago.]