We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 12 Posts
    Of course. Direct database edits are generally a bad idea unless something is wrong anyway. One of the CMS purpose is to keep you from breaking your application smiley

I too have experienced the loss of a few extras, but its well worth it to be able to use new ones such as Articles. Articles is just what MODX needed.
      • 141 Posts
      I'd been meaning to transfer over from Evo to Revo ever since Revo 1pl was released but a number of things held me back, mainly due to my heavy use of ditto filters which until recently couldn't get working right in GetResources.

Articles has convinced me to finally make the change and it is an incredible extra - finally becoming a wordpress beater for Blogging (Modx has always been superior as a CMS but lacked things like Pingomatic for Blogging)

One way I have been able to cut down on time taken between editing pages is to select "continue editing" rather than "close". This means that the whole page and site tree don't refresh after each save and if you are editing a number of documents it saves a heck of a lot of time smiley
        • 12 Posts
        I think you can set the resource tree not to refresh after each save. I may be wrong though. Our server is on site on an upgraded LAN, so the resource tree usually finishes its refresh in the time it takes to move from the keyboard to the mouse

Articles came both just-in-time for me. I had to migrate my company's blog off Wordpress and into MODX. Not sure if anyone has ever been in the midst of something like this, but if you ever are, RUN AWAY. Wordpress is an absolute mess of data. There is no decent separation. I have not much respect left for Wordpress after what I had to go through to extract this data. About two days after I had finally finished, Articles came out sporting an 'import from Wordpress' function. Cruel, cruel irony. But at the same time, this was exactly what the company needed for blog & news management. It really upped the ante here - now MODX is even more feasible for quick & simple management of fresh content. It's a win either way. We coupled our blog with the Disqus social comment API and the ShareThis API. Came out great.
          • 141 Posts
          Agreed about Wordpress, it's horrible for data seperation and the TinyMCE has never worked right for me either. To be honest I think Wordpress is pretty much overrated anyway however there is no denying that the way it used Pingomatic to get posts indexed in Google so fast was a work of genius.

The more I use Revolution the more I like it but I do wish there were better ways of importing data - especially from Evolution.
            • 12 Posts
            Right. Wordpress got its popularity from being so simple. It works well for a lot of people, but sometimes I can't believe what some people use it for. It's a blog, not a CMS in my book.

Pingomatic was excellent, but I can't help but feel that if the framework was natively more SEO-friendly, search engines would be able to effectively index the content without the help of Pingomatic. I did some SEO checks post-project deployment to evaluate MODX's native SEO abilities & see where we need to bridge gaps. I was impressed to see not many of those bridges were needed. Saved me a ton of time smiley
              • 202 Posts
              @andrew.gates: were you not able to export the WP content as an XML file?

I ask because I've been able to import a WP blog via its XML file. I love Articles.
                • 141 Posts
                @andrew agreed WP is simply a blogging tool but get's miss-used as a CMS too often. I know that pages can get indexed pretty fast even without pingomatic (especially post Google Caffeine) but with pingomatic or such a tool I've seen pages indexed within seconds...
                  • 12 Posts
                  Quote from: ultrasef at Jan 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
                  @andrew.gates: were you not able to export the WP content as an XML file?

I ask because I've been able to import a WP blog via its XML file. I love Articles.

Yes, the fact that Articles can import the WP XML export is awesome. It makes things 1000 times easier. But I had started migration before Articles was first released, and extracting data from this monster without the help of a tool such as Articles was near impossible. It was a filthy file with massive amounts of unneccessary code that made data extraction barely possible. It would have been faster for me to copy-paste every single blog post on my companies blog. Luckily before I began that process, Articles came along smiley