We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 141 Posts
    Not sure if I need to report these as bugs but I am having a few niggling issues with the creation and editing of resources in Revolution 2.2pl2.

My setup is:

A virtual dedicated server running Centos 5 Linux running PHP 5.3.5 and mysql 5.077

The issues I am having are as follows:

1) Whenever I change a resource to a different template the save button becomes greyed out and I have to edit something on the page just so I can then save it.

2) My templates are amended using form customization both for updating and creating on specific templates.

As Revolution seems to default to choosing a template for a new resource based on parent rather than sibling I often have to change the template. When I do the layout does not update to how it should based on the form customisation and I have to save the page before this gets updated.

3) Every so often the page will not update after save and sometimes when I change to a different template the information I placed within disappears and I have to add it again. Even worse the page doesn't always seem to refresh correctly and the buttons disappear, some of the elements don't look right and often are even missing.

These niggles may not seem like much but I am trying to convert a site with a few thousand resources over from Evolution to Revolution and as Provisioner doesn't even work in Revolution 2.2 I am having to do this manually. on average each resource can have 10 to 15 TV's with data in - as you can imagine it's going to take some time anyway and Revolution going kaka on me makes me feel like just sticking with Evolution instead...
    • Re:
      1) Whenever I change a resource to a different template the save button becomes greyed out and I have to edit something on the page just so I can then save it.

see: http://bugs.modx.com/issues/6581#change-14815 (unsolved)

Re:
      3) Every so often the page will not update after save and sometimes when I change to a different template the information I placed within disappears and I have to add it again. Even worse the page doesn't always seem to refresh correctly and the buttons disappear, some of the elements don't look right and often are even missing.

See above bug issue for the solution and a link to a more descriptive thread - hint: It's the timezone setting
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 141 Posts
        Hi Frogabog,

Thanks for the reply and glad in a way it's not just me having these issues however regarding 3) I saw that and checked Timezones however my MySQL and PHP match up perfectly as far as timezones go so it can't be that problem, unless it's cause I haven't set the timezone in modx manager. I wouldn't have thought it could be that though as it says it takes it from server if set - which it is!
        • The setting in the manager is what worked for me. You might want to try setting it there anyway, see what happens?
            Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
            "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
            Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
            • 141 Posts
            Thanks Frogabog, I will give it a go, do you just use the same format ie: Europe/London?
              • 24,544 Posts
              The workaround is to right-click on the resource in the tree and select Quick Update. That will let you change the template.

FYI, when on the Create/Edit panel, changing the template makes the page unsavable (for me anyway).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using . . . PLEASE!
              MODx info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/MODx.html
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 12 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Jan 15, 2012, 09:42 PM
                The workaround is to right-click on the resource in the tree and select Quick Update. That will let you change the template.

FYI, when on the Create/Edit panel, changing the template makes the page unsavable (for me anyway).

This is what I do when making singular resource changes as well - works well to get past the template save issue. It appears to me that validation that takes place in the full edit resource form causes the issue, which may not be present in quick update. Just speculation from reading about the bug.

When I need to change the template in the full form, I usually change it and tab down to the next field, add & delete a space & then am able to save. I've been quite busy recently so I may not remember correctly, but I seem to remember either Revo 2.2-RC1 or RC2 still saving if you use CNTRL+S method rather than clicking 'Save'. Not sure if this still works. According to our Technical Analyst, it does not work in the latest PL.

On a sidenote, and while I am not recommending this, I know enough about SQL & Revo's schema that I just make mass changes like this directly in the database. That said, this could be an easy way to break your application, so never do this unless you have real-time backups.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  I can't remember for sure, but the Batcher extra may allow you to make bulk template changes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using . . . PLEASE!
                  MODx info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/MODx.html
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 12 Posts
                    I tried batcher's template edit, but it wouldn't work on 2.2RC1. Haven't yet tried it on PL2
                      • 141 Posts
                      I couldn't get batcher to work in 2.2pl2, there must have been quite a few changes made to 2.2 as there are quite a few extras that don't seem compatible and I am still mourning the loss of Provisioner.

Thanks for all the input guys, I have started using quick create but as mentioned in another thread that is limited as you can't edit TV values.

@andrew.gates I'd rather stay away from direct database edits if I can help it and it sort of defeats the purpose of using the CMS for me (I'm the only one that administers my website).