We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 64 Posts
    Installing Revo 2.2 rc3
    Webhost is 1and1.com (I know they suck)
    PHP 5.2.17
    MySQL 5

Mac OS Safari 5.1.2

Standard Install
    Uploaded new files
    Didn't overwrite the config file nor the components directory.
    Ran Setup, everything passed the checks, ended in error 500 page.

Ran it again and it completed.
    Loged in and the manager loads the dashboard, but not the file tree, nor does any of the manager navigation work. The navigation is all there but clicking doesn't result in anything. Logout doesn't even work.

I've re-uploaded all the files and re-installed and got the error 500 again. Before the upgrade I installed the gatewaymanager extra.

Looked at my browser error console. A bunch of 400 errors.(see attachments)

Hope that's enough to start finding the problem.
    [ed. note: CBorah last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
    • I suspect the 500 error may be related to 1&1, as they limit the memory limit enough that it could cause problems.

If you are unhappy with 1&1 is there any specific reason you keep using them?
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 387 Posts
        I have had a similar experiences - tried several installs with fresh uploads. (also 1and1.com)
        Same errors - 400, bad request
        I tried the nightly build with similar results.

Reverted back to 2.2rc2 which installs and works!
          • 387 Posts
          I just tidied house (uninstalled and removed any unused extras), upped the php memory from 90 to 128M with php.ini files and tried again with 2.2 rc3.
          Same result - I just get the manager menu and nothing else - neither do any of the buttons do anything.
          The site works

Looking at the management page there are a series of 400 (bad request) errors clicking on the first of these opens
          "mysite.com/manager/min/index.php?f=/manager/assets/modext/widgets/modx.treedrop.js,/manager/assets/modext/widgets/windows.js,/manager/assets/modext/widgets/resource/modx.tree.resource.js,/manager/assets/modext/widgets/element/modx.tree.element.js,/manager/assets/modext/widgets/system/modx.tree.directory.js,/manager/assets/modext/core/modx.view.js,/manager/assets/modext/core/modx.layout.js"

which has this content:
          400 Bad Request
          Please see http://code.google.com/p/minify/wiki/Debugging.

So I am thinking that I am seeing this bug:
          http://bugs.modx.com/issues/6247
          Even though the way I read it this bug should be resolved in rc3.
          And rc2 works for me.
          Did the fix work for some and break it for me?

• 387 Posts
            I now have my manager working:
            I 'manually' changed the compress_css and compress_js settings in the modx_system_settings table from '1' to '0' thereby turning off the compression and now all is well.
              • 64 Posts
              I went back to rc2 and my site is working again as well.

This was however the last straw with 1and1. It will be a pain in the butt to move all my domains and websites to another host but I'm going to do it. It seems to be a never ending list of problems with 1and1. Good luck.
              • The last time I checked 1&1 forced a memory limit on you, despite setting higher values such as 96MB, you would be limited to (I think) 24MB regardless.

CBorah, you may want to check out SkyToaster as a hosting option. There is even free migration assistance.

• 387 Posts
                  First I would like to say that I have no relation to 1and1 apart from having a few sites hosted there. I am not sure I would not recommend them as a host - but I have not had many problems with them, and I've never needed to use their customer service so I can't speak to how good it is.

On my account at least the php memory limit was 90M and when I added a php.ini file with an increased memory limit of 128M loading phpinfo.php reported the memory as 128M. Increasing the memory did not help with the problem under discussion.

I have also tried a fresh Revo 2.2rc3 install which works fine - I still have no idea why the manager on my other rc3 install does not work with compress_js turned on, the only differences are that it was an upgrade and has several more extras installed.

• Whistlemaker,

One thing that just came to mind, what browser are you using? Could you try using a different browser and/or the private/incognito browsing mode to see if that helps?

Thanks for the information on 1&1, it sounds like they have changed their configuration some since I was a customer. If you ever need to work with their support, I can only hope they have changed it as well. It took them 2-3 days if not more to respond to me when I was a customer.

Otherwise what extras did you have installed that were different?
                      • 387 Posts
                      I usually use Safari - I could (and will) try a different browser, though I don't hold out much hope since a fresh install on the same server works perfectly which suggests to me something in the update process is causing the problem with my particular installation, or it is one of the extras I have installed.

I am also going to try installing the same extras on both installations.