We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 36 Posts
    could somebody please hlep?
    • Quote from: General_Sun at Apr 30, 2006, 05:42 PM

Hi as a relative newb working off a reseller account, could someone please give specific instructions on how to access the httpd.conf file that was talked about in that linked thread, or how to do that rewriteBase thing. Or how to turn on mod_rewrite (or even check if it is turned on).

Right now my htaccess reads

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /ajax/index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

Which should be right according to instructions. Thanks in advance.

That is not the complete contents of the ht.access that ships with MODx. Start with the original file that was included and simply prefix the subdirectory as you did in the one line you show above to match any subdir location you installed modx in (I assume modx root dir is /ajax?). Report the results and someone can help you diagnose the issue. The more information you can provide, the better chance you’ll have of getting assistance on these kinds of issues.
        • 1,611 Posts
        Well if you have an account on a shared server then you probably don’t have access to the httpd.conf setting file. So you need to make sure that your host allows .htaccess files on a per-directory basis and that mod_rewrite is installed and enabled in Apache. The best way to find this out is to ask your host’s tech support people.

I’m assuming that this is a Linux+Apache server setup (if not, let us know)...

What is happening the way you have it set up now? Are you getting a 500 Server Error or 404 File Not Found or...? Do your MODx pages appear properly if you use the old-school URLs (e.g., ajax/index.php?id=3)?
          "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
          • 36 Posts
          Thanks guys for your comments

To OpenGeek: I didn’t post the entire file because I figured that was the relevant line. The file of course is much more than that one line.

to ZAP: Thanks, I’ll see what my tech support says. And I get this:
          Internal Server Error

When the htaccess is turned on. Thanks.
            • 1,611 Posts
            Hmm... Well a 500 Internal Server Error usually means something bigger than just FURLs not working via mod_rewrite. If it goes away when you delete your .htaccess file then you know that you have something in there that really bugs your PHP or Apache installation.

I’ve mostly seen this on servers running suExec. Try commenting out just the two PHP directives (the ones that set compression). More and more servers prohibit those in an .htaccess file (you have to use a php.ini file instead), and they will return a 500 error if you include them there.

If that fixes the problem and you can then use FURLs, then you’re all set (although you might want to check what your PHP compression values are by default on your server and ask your host to help you change them if you’re not happy with those settings).
              "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options