We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Oops... sorry I failed to mention this is an install on an IIS web hosting server (Windows 2003 server) my php version is
    PHP 5.0.4
    Thanks Ry-õne... the good news is not to worry I musta had a glitch in one of the fields...
    I re-entered everything and I’m good now...
    Should I click to install the SAMPLE SITE, I kinda think I should or I won’t know where to start.
    The only thing in this brand new web are the files I uploaded after extracting the modX zip installation.
    modX wouldn’t overwrite anything within itself I wouldn’t think.
    Recommendations where to start next.

OK now the BAD NEWS damn hoping to avoid this part
    I said ok to the sample site, since I see it was an optional item I said why not.
    But
    I’ve got a big bad error here:
    Checking if manager/includes/config.inc.php exists and is writable: Failed!
    Everything else was OK! My webhost allows practically nothing in the webspace to be writeable.
    They have virtual directories, and applications roots, I could setup, but I’ve no idea what either of them do, or how it would change the application codes. Any workable solutions. Can confi.inc.php be anywhere other than within the web root space level.

Again, The install went well then!!! smiley Thanks.
      • 1 Posts
      If anyone is following my saga, thanks for the replies so far...
      I’m at the Administration guide for modX
      Steps 2 and three, the thing is I didn’t set up a site locally at all, and thought I could just build it on my remote hosted server which is IIS 2003 am I wrong? I thought maybe I could just work from the sample site and develop something.

Here’s a very tough question, shoulda put it in my stupid questions thread, but here goes.
      For a beginner working with PHP and a CMS, is IIS simply the wrong server, thereby making modX the wrong CMS for me now?
      Would it be easier to run a dotNetNuke... puke if you like whatever. Not quite ready to throw in the towel by any means on the modX.
      They show things such as permissions 777 or 666, whatever and I sometimes see those labeled as unix/linux issues, so I disregard those. Meanwhile I continue to not understand though also.

Do I need to setup a phpmyadmin, is that a web-based application if that’s what i need to edit my database stuff, or is MODX going to handle all of the details I need to worry about... stumped, not hearing much. Back to work.
      Thanks.
      • Quote from: tzmedia at May 01, 2006, 05:49 PM

If anyone is following my saga, thanks for the replies so far...
        I’m at the Administration guide for modX
        Steps 2 and three, the thing is I didn’t set up a site locally at all, and thought I could just build it on my remote hosted server which is IIS 2003 am I wrong? I thought maybe I could just work from the sample site and develop something.

Here’s a very tough question, shoulda put it in my stupid questions thread, but here goes.
        For a beginner working with PHP and a CMS, is IIS simply the wrong server, thereby making modX the wrong CMS for me now?
        Would it be easier to run a dotNetNuke... puke if you like whatever. Not quite ready to throw in the towel by any means on the modX.
        Not a tough question at all. Our founding developer, Raymond Irving runs MODx on IIS quite successfully, but the one thing you must understand in using IIS is that PHP was developed around Apache and the open source paradigm, and the majority of us here use Apache to work with, test, and host MODx. Personally, I refuse to run IIS because of my own experience with it and personal choices; I run XAMPP (Apache/MySQL/PHP/Perl) for local testing on Win32 systems and host production sites exclusively on LAMPP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP/Perl) servers of one flavor or another.

If you’re not a PHP developer, or don’t need true XHTML/CSS freedom in your design templates, dotNetNuke may be a better choice for you; it’s definitely more tailored for the less proficient web developers / designers out there, or at least a little more so than MODx would be currently.

Quote from: tzmedia at May 01, 2006, 05:49 PM

They show things such as permissions 777 or 666, whatever and I sometimes see those labeled as unix/linux issues, so I disregard those. Meanwhile I continue to not understand though also.

Do I need to setup a phpmyadmin, is that a web-based application if that’s what i need to edit my database stuff, or is MODX going to handle all of the details I need to worry about... stumped, not hearing much. Back to work.
        Thanks.
        File permissions, or the ability for the "user" running the web server process to be able to write to a file is simply a permissions issue. The 666/777 is indeed the Unix way of addressing this; Windows permissions are a little more straightforward, though I don’t mess with them, so I forget exactly where they are dealt with in IIS.

And Yes, PHPMyAdmin is generally essential unless you are a MySQL command line guru, or have another tool to manage the database from. MODx does provide facilities to produce backups, but no interaction for editing data or doing advanced maintenance on the DB.
          • 1 Posts
          Thanks O.G. (Oh-Gee) smiley
          I might be out of town a couple days, not sure how my project will look during that duration.
          I guess I haven’t posted any links yet so I’m safe.
          But seriously I think I can get it sorted, I’d like to see what all is going on as far as some of the features, that may be exclusive to modX.

I’ll let the less proficient crack slide on account of I’m just a newbie... but you will always have developers in different stages of their individual education and learning curves in any technology, but I’m hitting them all by storm where i can... smiley
          signed: wanna-be-dev’R -- fledgling geekdesigner/hacker
          Upcoming events: geek jousting...lol!#!
          • Quote from: tzmedia at May 01, 2006, 06:56 PM

I’ll let the less proficient crack slide on account of I’m just a newbie... but you will always have developers in different stages of their individual education and learning curves in any technology, but I’m hitting them all by storm where i can... smiley
            signed: wanna-be-dev’R

Oooops... embarrassed

Sorry, I knew that would be taken the wrong way when I hit post. But I certainly didn’t mean that as a crack at your specific proficiency level. It’s just a fact that currently MODx is most effective as a tool for highly-proficient XHTML/CSS designers and/or PHP developers at this stage in our evolution. This doesn’t mean that there is no benefit to others in various stages of their maturation as a developer or designer, I was just trying to compare what dotNetNuke is based on, something we generally refer to as YAPS (Yet Another Portal System) in this community, and who it is targeted at, so you can evaluate which one might better fit your needs currently.

And kudos to your aspirations of geek-dom laugh