We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Right my host is a total stickler for file permissions stuff.
    Did I mention the host is free because I just started moderating their forum’s.
    So I can probably suggest any additional goodies I need.
    Problem is they officially started offering dotNetNuke and WordPress express installs.
    Which it remains to be seen how express those installs really are, meanwhile I’m shopping for something else.
    What’s so ugly about firefox and pick of theme, as long as it’s not one of the Mac emulator themes... lmao.
    Cause I never know which button’s to push on those.
      • 1 Posts
      I’m getting all of the files uploaded now.
      It might of been nice to have them in a folder within my webroot rather than taking up the whole thing.
      I thought it best to just drop them in for now.
      What would be the procedure for placing the install in a sub-directory, I could give it a cool sub-domain name.
      Would it involve a ton of rewrites to the application or could it be done using the control panel, or not recommended at all for newbies, I can live with that, and an explanation of why life’s rough.
      Thanks again.
      • Just create any directory you’d like to install it in and go with it; it just works, but you need to change the .htaccess file per the comments located in the file.
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 1 Posts
          Windows IIS doesn’t support htAccess does it, that’s what I’m hearing at my host and everywhere I’ve ever looked about it. IS that going to be a problem, that’s for file permissions and the like to protect files from being hotlinked?
          The files will be stored in the database maybe for the most part, it wouldn’t be much of a problem anyways.
          I think I’d definately like to put it in a sub directory, I was having trouble getting it all uploaded otherwise.
          Going by the installation files it looke like it had to be in the root directory, but didn’t mention the files could be in their own folder.
          Thanks.
          • It’s only an issue if you care about Google indexing your site. There are hacks to make IIS work with FURLs, but I can’t seem to sort those out. Good luck!
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 1 Posts
              Thanks, I do care, but that would be a separate issue than an install issue.
              I work with and IIS server guy who might be able to get me over that little glitch.
              Getting it to work w/ my stringent webhost might be another story, but I can look into the hacks later.
              I know he’s set those up here on some client-related stuff.
              thanks again.
              Does a ? question mark show up in the URL, isn’t that all it really is is just to get rid of the question mark in the query string then, I know he’s done that not for PHP apps but stil...
              Maybe there’s more to it, but that ought to be do-able then. Later on.
                • 1 Posts
                Any way to verify a successful upload of the whole modX application?
                I used smartFTP but had a hard time of it.
                Thanks.
                  • 1 Posts
                  Hey all, ok i’ve got the app uploaded decided to put it into a sub-directory, that way instead of upgrading it ever I may just go with a fresh install of subsequent versions.
                  But I seem to have a live one, if I can manage to wire up the database I should be all set then, and my first CMS app of any consequence will be on the road to stardom... lol.
                  Thanks alot though seriously.
                  Standby!

[Edits:]
                  1. I agreed to the license terms without reading them, if you folks need my first born child, you might be waiting awhile... lmao.
                  2. Connection to host: failed! shee-it go figure, my host sucks for installing new stuff without some glitches, or it’s just me... note to self - darn newbies!!

Also I’ve got this from my website, does this mean anything or any recommendations, not sure I know why I’d need this stuff or what they are talking about here:
                  Database Maintenance

Please note that our MySQL support is limited to the creation of the database and the operation of the server. Any maintenance (table creation, schema changes, etc) must be performed by you. You have several options to maintain your database; we recommend one of the following

MySQL AdministratorQuery Browser httpdev.mysql.comdownloads
                  MySQL Front httpwww.mysqlfront.de
                  PhpMyAdmin httpwww.phpmyadmin.net
                  ------------------------ thanks again!

Do any of these look suspect for creating the failure:
                  Database name: M777_modX9
                  Table prefix: modx_9

Now please enter the login data for your database.

Database host: http://nj-mysql-0677.myhost.com
                  (substituted for actual host name # numbers for security)

-------------------------------------
                  Edit 3 I found this in my webhosts forum’s so maybe I need something else in place, that other hosts give you already installed or something:
                  There are other ISPs that install phpMyAdmin for you or have a "on-click install" feature for setting up phpMyadmin, coppermine, phpbb and more. These would be good value added features the ULE could add.
                  --------------------------------------

I thought this looked easier than classic ASP stuff everything is so specific to get it right, thought I’d be up and running first time, didn’t happen ... hmmmmm any ideas then?
                    • 1 Posts
                    Cool I went ahead and stepped through the install couple more clicks, the database failes but on the results page I got all green OK’s, but these:
                    -------------------------------
                    Checking if manager/includes/config.inc.php exists and is writable: Failed!

For new Linux/Unix installs, please create a blank file named config.inc.php in the manager/includes/ directory with file permissions set to 777.

Creating connection to the database: Database connection failed!

Please check the database login details and try again.
                    -------------------------------
                    Thought of another question I created a database using my webhosts onsite tools but am I supposed to upload anything to that database or was it supposed to be created on setup I assumed everything would just be created, just a guess though, I’ve really no idea how to setup a PHP application this was my first, so the cherries still on... lmao.

What am I missing then, I have a feeling it will still be simple to get up and running.
                    Thanks.
                    • It sounds like the permissions aren’t right on your config.inc.php file (or one doesn’t exist at all) and that you don’t have the right database connection information. Fix those two errors and it should install.