We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 697 Posts
    Hi guys,

Are u guys planning to bin the FCKeditor for 0.9.7?

I’ve come across several recurring bugs with xml connector errors and the document viewer showing up blank. I’ve applied every fix on these forums but still there are issues.

Is there a plan to introduce a new editor?

Thank you.
      • 7,075 Posts
      Are you referring to MCPUK, the resource browser from FCK Editor ?

Even before 0.9.7 there are plans and better than that, there is a beta of its replacement (AjaxFileManager) available wink

Still a few issues to iron out, probably won’t make it for 0.9.6.2 but maybe 0.9.6.3...

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 4,149 Posts
        splittingred Reply #3, 16 years ago
        Quote from: jusmeig at Feb 29, 2008, 04:32 PM

Hi guys,

Are u guys planning to bin the FCKeditor for 0.9.7?

I’m assuming you mean the mcpuk stuff; if so, yes. MODx will use a new in-house system which we call MODx.Browser, built on top of the Ext2 framework.
          shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
          • 834 Posts
          Can’t wait.

Any update on the new modx browser?
            Content Creator and Copywriter
            • 150 Posts
            Any more on this?

The forum description says "For all RTEs (Tiny, FCK, Xinha, XStandard) and File Browser related (MCPuck and its future replacement)" but it’s really hard to work out where the discussion for this "future replacement" is in this forum (unless I missed soemthing really obvious).
              Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
              • 7,075 Posts
              Guys, what more do you need ?

Quote from: splittingred at Mar 03, 2008, 05:18 PM
              MODx will use a new in-house system which we call MODx.Browser, built on top of the Ext2 framework.

I think it’s pretty self explanatory, mcpuk will be replaced by a modern browser built for MODx and using ExtJS. What additionnal info do you need ?

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                • 741 Posts
                Quote from: davidm at May 22, 2009, 10:28 AM

Guys, what more do you need ?

Quote from: splittingred at Mar 03, 2008, 05:18 PM
                MODx will use a new in-house system which we call MODx.Browser, built on top of the Ext2 framework.

I think it’s pretty self explanatory, mcpuk will be replaced by a modern browser built for MODx and using ExtJS. What additionnal info do you need ?

The only info we need is when it will be there! I get the xml connector error’s on most sites I build, it is starting to get pretty irritating. Is there a beta or svn release of the new browser? Is there even made a start on it?

mcpuk is working pretty good, only the xml error’s are driving me nuts tongue
                  with regards,

Ronald Lokers
                  'Front-end developer' @ h2o Media

• 150 Posts
                  No offense, but it’s a terribly vague line about a very important feature and time has moved on quite a lot since the new extJS version was mentioned in this thread, so I was just wondering if there was any additional information on this part of the project. I honestly expected there to be a thread or two specifically about it and that’s why I asked the question.

There really is no additional information other than that statement, so "what more do we need" is "something, anything" really. Some form of description as to how it will work for the end-user in comparison to the current file browser, some screenshots (assuming it’s part-way through development) and details for developers. I know final releases are likely a way off yet, but just little bits of information like this will give current users an idea of how difficult it might be to adapt to the new system, as well as any potential trainig issues for staff/clients.

My personal development-related questions are:

• Will it remember the last folder you inserted an image from? (Having to go through subfolders on big sites for each page on larger sites can be a little frustrating at best, and immensely time-consuming at worst, and on large sites such folder structures are necessary sometimes).
                  • Might there be a way (not out of the box of course, just something that could be developed) for you to restrict folders to certain pages, so if you have writers writing articles for your website for example, each "article" in the site could maybe have it’s own folder generated by the system? Or even have different media folders for different users?
                  • Following on from those two points, is there the scope from a development point of view to give it certain settings for certain situations - so a certain template might tell the file browser to default to a certain folder, a specific user/template combo telling it to use another different folder, creation of folders on the server for certain events (ie. user posting an article for the first time won’t have their own folder). So what system hooks, if any, are there planned for the resource browser is what I guess I’m getting at?

I did have a couple more examples but they’ve slipped my mind for now. Basically I know mcPUK is restrictive at best and quite out-dated, so I’d just like to know a bit about the sort of possibilities the new system might offer if that information is available, or even if the new filebrowser is even that far into development to answer any of those questions?

It’s very hard - no offense intended - to guage how far along Revo and Evo are from the front page of the MODx website - 5 months between blog posts and on occasion months between news posts. I know there’s plenty going on, but to the casual observer there’s not a lot of explanation along the lines of "this is what we’re doing at the moment". I don’t know - perhaps some sort of developer diary might be an idea? I personally think that it would help to maybe list the last few blog antry titles on the homepage - I didnt know until I checked just now that ther was a new blog entry earlier this month (I know, I can subscribe to the feed, but then again not everyone knows how to do that either wink).

Again, I know there are downloads of the current development build of Revo available for folks to tinker with themselves, but some blog posts and screenshots of some of the new/changed features would be good for folks who aren’t that technically-minded either or don’t know what "alpha" and "beta" mean.

Sorry, kinda went off on one a bit there wink
                    Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
                  • If you’d like to see the work going on in real time, monitoring the SVN logs would give you a lot of insight. Not much is happening on the file browser front for the initial releases worth mentioning at the moment.
                      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                      • 150 Posts
                      Fair enough - that last bit was all I needed to know wink

Again, from the average MODx user’s perspective though, a lot of us aren’t going to know what SVN is let alone be confident enough to use it (well I do as it happens, but not everyone would be able to for sure) so all I was suggesting is that even a monthly update - even if it doesn’t say much or show more than the odd screenshot here and there - would show some activity. Again, I know there’s plenty of activity in reality, but it’s not coming across on the website - you have to come here to the forums to see that, or know a bit about the history of the project and the team to know that.
                        Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing