We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 17 Posts
    Hi there folks,

I’ve recently installed Modx after playing around with Etomite and deciding Modx was exactly what I was looking for. However, I’m experiencing a problem which I also experienced in Etomite, and it often happens after refreshing the browser while in Manager. The error message I’m receiving (often in one or more frames) is:

You don’t have permission to access /manager/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I’ve seen this problem discussed previously on this forum (http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,1527.msg10254.html#msg10254) and realise the culprit is the index.php file in the manager folder. I’ve emailed my host and I’m yet to receive a reply (sigh...), so is there anything that can be done?

I’m a newbie to this CMS lark so please go easy on me!  wink

My server configuration is as follows:

Operating system:  Linux
    Apache version:  1.3.34 (Unix)
    PHP version:  4.4.1
    MySQL version  4.0.25-standard
    PHPinfo:     http://www.a2dconverter.co.uk/phpinfo.php

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

Dan
      • 15 Posts
      Hey there,

i have excatelly the same problem.
      The second statement is not an issue at all, you just need to create a 403, 404 files...but the first one is REAL.

I am bumping my head all the morning today and i can’t get it work.
      Please help us, i need this installation to get work as soon as possible >:(

I can post my phpinfo link, too, if anyone can get something out of it.

Thx for helping
        • 7,075 Posts
        Never had this problem...

Stupid question but let’s ask it anyway : Are you using clean urls ? If so have you renamed the ht.access file in the manager folder into .htaccess (I am not talking the main .htaccess here...) ?
          .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
          • 15 Posts
          Hello,

the installation is totally fresh and i didn’t change anything yet.

I can login to manager with no problems, i can edit all the configurations etc, except templates. If i open Minimal template and just click on Save, i get the mentioned error. Also, if i create a new template and copy/paste the code from included template i get this error.
          But, if i create a new template and put in just something like:
          Bla bla, wooo, is it working? > than there is no problem at all, the template is saved just OK.

So, i guess there is not just a index.php problem?

Also, maybe i should point out, that i have two different domains at same hosting provider, they just remain on different servers. I installed the MODx with excatelly the same steps on both domains and it works fine on one and on the other....is not grin
            • 15 Posts
            Bump :’(
            • Para, sounds like there’s definitely a corruption somewhere, but I’ve no idea where to even begin...
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 15 Posts
                I have two account at this hosting provider, and on one domain MODx works perfectly but on the other one doesn’t. Accounts are on two different servers.

So i have sent them a support ticket and i hope they’ll look what are a configuration differencies on these two servers ( apache, php, users... ) and i’ll see if they come up with something. If they can’t find a cause for this, than i am out of options, whixh is quite pitty cause i relly need MODx on this account :’(

Well, if someone comes up with something, pls let me know, i would really appriciate it.

thx anyways rthrash
                  • 17 Posts
                  Glad to see I’m not the only one with this problem, but sorry that other people are experiencing the same difficulties... sad

Mine is a fresh install and I’m not using clean URL’s. 50% of the time everything is fine, but after a while I start receiving the errors. Strange thing is if I wait a few minutes and then refresh the browser, everything returns to normal.

Apart from that, Modx is fantastic - everything I need bar the crashes!
                    • 15 Posts
                    Thx God you mentioned this fme_design.
                    Now, when i log into manager first thing i do is refresh it and than it works OK.

Wierd, but at least i can work on my site grin

Thx again, i’ll still try to find a solution to this problem, but it is better like this than if it wouldn’t work at all.

ta-ta grin
                      • 15 Posts
                      Hello again, damn i’m quick grin

Hosting provider admin contacted me and said this error was caused by some rules in mod_security, they fixed it and MODx is working fine now.

Try contact your hosting provider to check the same thing!!

woooh, another problem’s gone for today grin

have phun