We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    This is an auto-generated support/comment thread for <a href="http://modxcms.com/extras/package/514">[Plugin] EditArea 0.5.1-GA</a>.

Use this forum to post any comments about this addition or any questions you have regarding its use.

Brief Description:
    <b>Introducing the new EditArea installer!</b> The installer is a multilingual derivitive of the new MODx Evolution installer and drastically simplifies the Installation/Upgrade process.

EditArea works on IE 6 through 8, Firefox 1.5 through 3.5, Safari 3.1 through 4, Opera 9 through 9.6 and Chrome 1 through 2, plus Camino 1.2. More information available in the <a href="http://www.cdolivet.com/editarea/editarea/docs/compatibility.html">Browser Compatibility Chart</a>

To view a live example, <a href="http://www.cdolivet.com/editarea/editarea/exemples/exemple_full.html">click here</a>.

<strong>Did you know</strong> that you can now save directly from EditArea using either the toolbar save icon, or the CTRL+S hotkey while EditArea is focused, plus the new word wrap feature is now enabled by default.
    • Very nice job on the installer, pixelchutes!
        Mike Schell
        Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
        Email: [email protected]
        GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
        Twitter: @mkschell
        • 195 Posts
        I also like to say: Nice Job!

A suggestion for further versions:
        Enable the syntax selection i.e. for users storing JS Code in Chunks or...

Maybe as an plugin config option?

Thanks

JUSI
          • 195 Posts
          It’s me again smiley

Here is another improvement suggestion:

When I look into my server logs after using EditArea I see many lines like this

File does not exist: /path/on/my/server/assets/plugins/edit_area/core/edit_area/plugins/modx/langs/de.js

Wouldn’t it be nice to check if the language file exists before trying to open it?

Greetz
          JUSI

EDIT: found that the "language files" are empty at the moment. So creating a blank "de.js" solved the log issue for me as a quick fix.
          Anyhow, would be nice to check it...
            • 2,310 Posts
            Nice job, particularly with the installer grin
            What about adding the option to set all the content to RTE Off?
            I use a snippet at the moment to change all the demo content to RTE Off, then reverse it when the site is handed over.
            $rs= $modx->db->query('UPDATE `modx_site_content` SET `richtext`=0');
              • 195 Posts
              Found this in my server logs when editing a plain text doc:
              File does not exist: /path/on/my/server/assets/plugins/edit_area/core/edit_area/reg_syntax/txt.js

Looks like it’s searching for the syntax of plain text ...
              Maybe this shoul be fixed for not bloating the error logs.

As a quick fix i’ve created the "missing" file as a blank file.
                • 7 Posts

• EditArea now supports Russian language (and maybe some others), please add it into plugin:
                  -$langs = array(’dan’ => ’dk’, ’eng’ => ’en’, ’fra’ => ’fr’, ’ger’ => ’de’, ’ita’ => ’it’, ’jap’ => ’ja’, ’ned’ => ’nl’, ’pol’ => ’pl’, ’por’ => ’pt’);
                  +$langs = array(’dan’ => ’dk’, ’eng’ => ’en’, ’fra’ => ’fr’, ’ger’ => ’de’, ’ita’ => ’it’, ’jap’ => ’ja’, ’ned’ => ’nl’, ’pol’ => ’pl’, ’por’ => ’pt’, ’rus’ => ’ru’);
                • Installer requires to chmod /manager/includes/config.inc.php to 0666, and then back to 0644... Annoying.
                • I’m using MODx Evolution 1.0.0, and save button of editarea doesn’t work. Although in 0.9.6.3 it worked...
                Anyway - thanks for a nice plugin! smiley
                • @MarSoft,

Quote from: MarSoft at Aug 23, 2009, 01:00 AM

* Installer requires to chmod /manager/includes/config.inc.php to 0666, and then back to 0644... Annoying.

You bring up a good point. For the next release, I will plan to remove some of the MODx installer permission checks that do not pertain to the EditArea package itself. Thank you for the feedback.

Quote from: MarSoft at Aug 23, 2009, 01:00 AM

* I’m using MODx Evolution 1.0.0, and save button of editarea doesn’t work. Although in 0.9.6.3 it worked...
                  Anyway - thanks for a nice plugin! smiley

You’re welcome! As for the save button not working, this was a known bug under Evolution that has been corrected . It’s very likely that you may have had the old version of the modx.js plugin cached on your system. The save button (and ctrl+s save hot key) have all been confirmed to work on MODx Evo 1.0.0+ w/ EditArea Plugin 0.5.1... Please flush your cache and try again cool
                    Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
                    MODx Ambassador / Contributor
                    [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
                  • Quote from: jusicgn at Aug 12, 2009, 07:59 PM

A suggestion for further versions:
                    Enable the syntax selection i.e. for users storing JS Code in Chunks or...

Maybe as an plugin config option?

@JUSI,

Today the content-type of the resource/element being edited is passed into EditArea, forcing that syntax selection. I recall personally seeing an issue with this where I was working with alternate content-types for certain Resources, but the code behind the end result was not the same as the content-type... Ideally the syntax list would still be available to change at run-time, but would still allow a pre-defined syntax selection. It seems that by defining the syntax, you lose the ability to select an alternate syntax option.

I will definitely look for a good way to resolve this issue, but at a minimum, will plan to enable the syntax options list. Makes complete sense. While the majority of my own personal work is on the PHP syntax, I must not forget that there are others using HTML, CSS, or JavaScript, etc more often...Great suggestion!
                      Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
                      MODx Ambassador / Contributor
                      [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
                      Yes, that’s what I’ve in mind.

Preselected highlighting with the ability to change the syntax.
                      Would be great if you get this to work!

Greetz
                      JUSI