We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Quote from: wendy at Dec 21, 2005, 08:03 PM

Anyway, to help directing this conversation to the right direction, I just found a better way to help lazy programmer such as me to built something from scratch...

Do you guys know about POG?
    http://www.phpobjectgenerator.com

That’s the link, it is able to generate a class to build object for your data on your DB. All you need is generate the code, change the code being generated to include certain functions that you want, and start using it.

Hope that helps.
    Ehmm.. if someone know a better solution, the discussion is still open.

Hmmm, actually Wendy, I am working on a top-secret project that includes a complete database-abstraction and object-relational framework. It’s an experiment, but I have already completed a proof of concept integration and am working on refining and cleaning up the core, redefining the API, and moving all legacy functionality to an optional legacy API file that can be loaded only when needed. It is using technology similar to POG, but based on the Apache Turbine project (a J2EE object-generation framework), called Propel (see http://propel.phpdb.org/ for more information) to generate PHP 5 (or even PHP 4 with a separate runtime) classes and DB-platform optimized SQL directly from an XML schema definition. And I have eyes on creating a run-time version of the class/SQL-generators so you can define, generate, and test your own classes/tables directly from the MODx manager.

If you have any thoughts, input, or questions regarding what this integration project is all about, please don’t hesitate to ask. Guess I kind of let the cat out of the bag with this one, but I wanted to let everyone in on what I’ve been doing the last two weeks. wink
      • 1,495 Posts
      My goodness...

Let me rest my mind for a moment... I’m reading the docs right now, and still amaze with the advanced technology in PHP. I almost use this for my ASP .Net application and found it usefull a few months ago, but with the limitation of programming environment in .Net, it forces me not to use this, because I need to use Visual Studio to compile it, or I need to use the command comiler which really is a pain for me. So I decided to keep using the old style.

I can’t believe it that it’s going to be integrated into MODx. I’ll give my approval for sure, if I’m the boss. There is no more better than this, espicially if what you said is true, that MODx will have its environment for us to test and run all this database relation thing. I don’t have any bigh picture yet about the project, but one thing I know for sure that you always know what you’re doing Jason. It’s really nice to know that the future is near for MODx.

Anyway, so when is this going to be inluded? In the next release, version 0.9.1? I think I’m asking too much now.
        Wendy Novianto
        [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
        [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
      • Quote from: wendy at Dec 22, 2005, 02:11 AM

Anyway, so when is this going to be inluded? In the next release, version 0.9.1? I think I’m asking too much now.
        We don’t have any definitive answers on the Propel-powered MODx other than it will not be included in 0.9.1, which will be out in a matter of hours. But, rest assured we are piecing together the big picture of the project as we speak, and if the level of success I’ve had in refactoring MODx to use Propel in the past two weeks is any indication, well, enough said for now.
          • 1,495 Posts
          Thanks for the answer Jason.

One more thing though, how many core programmer under MODx right now? Had we gained interest for experienced developer/programmer to join the team? I’m a programmer, but I never get my hands dirty in pure PHP & MySql development software. If there is something that I can help, feel free to contact me.

Wendy Novianto
            • 3,250 Posts
            Check out http://modxcms.com/modx-team.html

The list is a little out of date (missing David for that matter...) but it should give you an idea of the size of our team.
              • 1,495 Posts
              Quote from: Mark at Dec 22, 2005, 03:01 AM

Check out http://modxcms.com/modx-team.html

The list is a little out of date (missing David for that matter...) but it should give you an idea of the size of our team.

Yeap, I just remember that page. Thanks for the link.
                Wendy Novianto