We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 577 Posts
    Boy, would I love to see a calendar with multi events, users and such.

Anybody working on this or is this on road map?
      Tangent-Warrior smiley
      • 372 Posts
      I too am looking for this, and would be happy to test any workings. Can’t offer to write it as I have no idea how to do it smiley

heres features I think would make it really good

• Show Year, Month, Daily and list views.
      • List or browse events in the calender.

• Search or list events based on categories, date ranges
      • Can select multiple categories to view / search
      • Different colours based on the categories so it is clear to see what type of event it is when viewing monthly or weekly etc.

I think I have seen every PHP calender on the net, and none currently provide a good enough calender in my opinion. Would be another feather in MODx’s cap if there was one availbale.
        [img]http://www.emanz.ac.nz/assets/images/logo/emanz-icon_16x16.gif[/img] Emergency Management Academy of New Zealand [br] http://www.emanz.ac.nz[br][br]MODx Sandbox Login: sandbox Password: castle [br]
        Admin Sandbox Login: sandbox Password: castle
        • 3,250 Posts
        This is not MODx but do a google search for extcal2 and phpicalendar. These are two of the best php ones I have found. The first uses a db and the second uses ical files. Hope this helps!
          • 577 Posts
          Thanks for the tip.

I was hoping though that we’d get a calendar eventually laugh
            Tangent-Warrior smiley
            • 1,495 Posts
            Hi, if you guys don’t mind seeing script in beta testing, here is the calendar that I’m working on right now.

http://modx.novsun.net/test/dbcalendar.html

Suggestion or help will be very welcome.
            Currently it doesn’t support repetition, but it does support multi documents.

FYI, I use a lot of placeholder from MODx to have the templating system as flexible as possible, which it’s 75% done, I just need to make the templating for calendar table to be placed on chunk as well.

Regards,
              Wendy Novianto
              [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
              [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
              • 302 Posts
              Hee hee...

I just got out of a meeting. Looks like I’ll be making a calendar of events feature for our website. But not till March or April. Should be fun. If you beat me to it Wendy I won’t be upset wink

Mine will have some specific requirements tho. For instance, the database will actually be separate and will be tapped into from two different MODx sites. Thus a toggle will be in place to show on one or both sites. Multiple categories. Multiple views. Pretty much everything else that briggsys wanted too.
                Standard Disclaimer
                I could be totally wrong.
                • 1,495 Posts
                That’s way too cool...

Btw, I think as far as category implementation, I already did one, which is if you set the table to be flexible, which means allowing the user to be able to add more fields into it, you can set one field as a category, and the category can be defined from the submission form, and as far as color concern, you can use a hidden field to be changed everytime somebody change the category dropdown. Hemmm.... The more I try to explain it, the more I found it kinda hard for the end user to use it.

Anyway, my purpose to have the most flexible calendar, instead of using predefined calendar template. I copy the idea of Repeater control in ASP .Net, which allow pure flexibility in templating, without inserting any predefined html code into it, even though I do realize it’s almost impossible, especially when it comes to creating table for clendar, which it needs to be generated directly from the code.

jaredc, if you can help me, I won’t mind giving you the code to improve it. I’m kinda in the need to make this thing work ASAP, in less than a month. So if you have some free time to look over my code and improve it, it will be better.
                  Wendy Novianto
                  • 30 Posts
                  sweet! Any word on when this will be available for download? I’d love to help debug, this is pretty much the only feature that has been keeping me from using modx.
                    • 3,250 Posts
                    Ditto on being able to test.
                      • 1,495 Posts
                      I’m working on it right now. Tweaking and making it looks pretty. At first I’m planning to make this as a module, but I ended up becoming lazy, and include it as a snippet+plugin.

I’ll post an update by tomorow.

Do you guys think it’s better to have 30-360 mysq/db query or 30-360 accessing array from index 0 to the last?

Right now I fetch all the possible events in array, and going through it from index 0 to the last index to find a related events for specific date. So if we have 30/31 days on 1 month, it will go through the events list 30/31 times.

Another question, how to make an events repeatable? Events can span, but to make it repeatable, I still haven’t got a better logic to do it that requires less resources in the processing time and in the database space as well.
                        Wendy Novianto