We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • WIndows Zip Extractors, even on the best days are slow. WinRar or 7ZIP are the fastest out there. Glad you go your install done though.

Cheers,

Jay
      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • 147 Posts
      I am running windows vista. ExtractNow works wonderfully for me; clean and fairly quick too. I highly recommend it for unzipping MODx.
        • 2 Posts
        Quote from: aksteven at Jul 03, 2008, 02:32 PM

Unfortunately the latest release, 0.9.6.1 simply doesn’t extract using any application with Windows Vista x64 Business edition. It’s the only archive I’ve come across which won’t extract. I’ve tried Rarsoft, ExtractNow and Vista’s own tool but to no avail. Fortunately I have a copy of 0.9.6 which I will have to fall back on, but it’s very frustrating.

Could the developers please zip the files up using a Vista machine in the hope that they will extract properly?

FYI, the ExtractNow log shows the following:

Processed archive C:\Users\Andrew\Downloads\modx-0961p2.zip
        Destination output C:\Users\Andrew\Downloads\modx-0961p2\
        Extracted modx-0961p2\
        Extracted modx-0961p2\assets\
        There were errors while extracting
        Unable to create directory [C:\Users\Andrew\Downloads\modx-0961p2\modx-0961p2\assets\]

I have even created the directories manually and ensured that everything is writeable. It’s just not having it.

I’m having the exact same problem! tongue

If you open the Archive in any Zip program ie: Windows compression, 7Zip, Winzip, Winrar, it shows a folder named modx-0961p2 and a (0 byte) file with no extension with the exact same name. huh

If you go into the folder there are three folders inside named. assets, install, manager and 3 (0 byte) files with the same name along with ht.access, index.php, index-ajax.php. thats a total of 6 files huh

I am running Vista64 home edition so it must be something with this file that Vista does not like... I see there are other people that are experiencing this. I really do want to try MODx. I hope you guys figure something out! I do not have any problems with any other zip files I have downloaded and I have had Vista for over a year now, and have opened many many zip files. huh

Please make this work I am really anxious to get started building my MODx site. grin
        • It is possible to download the latest trunk release using an SVN client such as TortoiseSVN for Windows from the repository instead of the zip.
            Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
            • 2 Posts
            Alright I fixed it myself. I ended up getting the newest Version of 7Zip and extracted the files, then re-zipped them with the proper file structure then uploaded the zip to my server. Once that was complete I unzipped it in the root on the server and went straight to www dot MySite dot com/install and the installer started straight away. YAY!!!!

Now I just need to learn how to configure everything wink

Cheers!
            • This issue will be solved with 0.9.6.2 release in a few days. If you are anxious, you can download the archives for 0.9.6.2-rc2 from http://modxcms.com/beta.html.
                • 24,544 Posts
                The zip file is definitely wacky, IMO. It contains a number of zero-byte files that have the same name as the various directories. Other .zip versions of MODx don’t have these (nor does the 0.9.6.2-rc2 zip file).

When Vista tries to extract those zero-byte files, it chokes because you can’t have a file with the same name as a directory. You can see that everything is there if you explore the .zip file but it won’t extract.
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • BobRay.

Confirmed. I’d say we need to get this fixed.