We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 147 Posts
    Just downloaded latest edition of MODX (modx-0961p2.zip) and am having a terrible time just getting the files loaded to my local WAMP server (I am running WAMP 2.0 on Windows Vista). There are two items in the MODX zip directory -- a modx-o961p2 folder, and a modx-o961p2 file. The installation instructions say that the UNZIPPED files/folders should be put into the root directory of your site. I created a subdirectory out on my WAMP server called ’modx’, copied the UNZIPPED installation files/folders and tried to simply paste them into the new modx directory. When I do this, the copy process initiates, but then windows indicates that the copy process will take as much as 20 minutes and the process usually crashes. Something is terribly wrong. I have recently installed Joomla, Drupal, and CMSMadeSimple to my WAMP Server and the file transfer process was seamless and never took more than maybe a minute. I just discovered MODX and think it may be just the CMS solution I am looking for. I am concerned that I am having such trouble with the first step in the installation process though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 24,544 Posts
      Is it possible that your disk drive is nearly full? That could explain the timeout.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 956 Posts
        I’ve had similar problems in the past. Not sure what caused it. Lack of HD space surely wasn’t the problem. I would suggest you unzip it directly to your target folder. Or if you have to copy: right-click on the main modx folder, then uncheck "write protection" for all files / subfolders.
          • 147 Posts
          Thanks for the responses. Don’t think the problem has to do with space on my Hard Drive. Windows indicates that I still have 69 Gigs of free space. (I do not think WAMP imposes its own limit on the total amount of files you can post to the www directory.) As for unzipping, I tried that too. The same problems get in the way of unzipping as are present when I try to simply copy and paste the unzipped items. When I try to unzip, Windows indicates that the process will take over 20 minutes. I actually just tried to unzip the installation directory on a totally different computer (also running windows vista). Windows indicated that the unzip process would take about an hour.) Seems like the MODX installation files don’t like vista much.

I am frustrated because MODX actually looks like a real solution for me. I want a cms that allows me to easily create sites based on my own CSS designs. Some of these other products (drupal, joomla) make you jump through crazy hoops in order to just get your css up and running within their structure.

Should I try to install an earlier version of MODX? Do you think the current installation files are corrupt? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
          • Vista is known to have problems with certain Zip files ... looks like this is one of them. Maybe try an alternate zip-extraction app.
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 834 Posts
              Marconi,

not sure if this helps, but FYI, I’m running MODx on Windows XP, and WAMP, and I installed it in a sub directory.

It should only take a few minutes to unzip.

Content Creator and Copywriter
                • 147 Posts
                thanks for all of the advice. yeah, i will likely try another zip-extraction app. i actually just tried ExtractNow, but it does not look like it managed to extract all of the files. (i made sure to associate .zip files with the app before extrating, but this did not seem to do the trick.)

A couple of more related questions:

1. the zip directory includes a main sub-directory (modx-0961p2) and - at the same level - as a single file with the same name. it does not look like anything is actually in that file. is the file functionally relevant or can it be disregarded?

2. is there an image or list anywhere in the documentation that shows exactly what files / directories need to go onto the server in order to carry out a successful install?

hope to be able to get modx up and running sooner than later. really want to take it for a test drive.

thanks again folks.
                  • 956 Posts
                  The main folder has 3 folders and 3 files:

folders:
                  assets
                  install
                  manager

files:
                  ht.access
                  index.php
                  index-ajax.php

As for zip-extractor software... I can recommend WinRar: http://www.rarsoft.com/download.htm
                    • 147 Posts
                    GaneshXL (and others) -

Thanks again for all of the help. I finally managed to unzip the files (used ExtractNow), post them to the WAMP www. directory, and run a successful install.

Onward.

Marconi
                      • 46 Posts
                      Unfortunately the latest release, 0.9.6.1 simply doesn’t extract using any application with Windows Vista x64 Business edition. It’s the only archive I’ve come across which won’t extract. I’ve tried Rarsoft, ExtractNow and Vista’s own tool but to no avail. Fortunately I have a copy of 0.9.6 which I will have to fall back on, but it’s very frustrating.

Could the developers please zip the files up using a Vista machine in the hope that they will extract properly?

FYI, the ExtractNow log shows the following:

Processed archive C:\Users\Andrew\Downloads\modx-0961p2.zip
                      Destination output C:\Users\Andrew\Downloads\modx-0961p2\
                      Extracted modx-0961p2\
                      Extracted modx-0961p2\assets\
                      There were errors while extracting
                      Unable to create directory [C:\Users\Andrew\Downloads\modx-0961p2\modx-0961p2\assets\]

I have even created the directories manually and ensured that everything is writeable. It’s just not having it.
                        Learning a little more each day.