We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 194 Posts
    Even though I’ve been working with MODx for 2 years, Revolution is now making me look like an idiot, which I’m guessing is actually the case! laugh

Anyway, I’ve started with a blank Revolution advanced install and can’t work out where to start creating my (test) site!
    In 0.9.6 you had the obvious starting point "Manage Resources" -> "Templates", "Chunks" etc.

In Revolution I don’t have this - all I see that’s partially relevant is Modules -> Manage Modules. Where can I start adding my templates, snippets, chunks etc?

I read in the announcement that Revolution can run multiple sites in one instance - how is this done? Is this what contexts are for? If so, how do you assign for example, a domain name to point to a particular context?

Thanks in advance - loving the look and feel of the new manager by the way - it’s totally awesome, and I’m itching to get more comfortable with it!

Andy
      Andy Shellam | www.networkmail.eu | @Pandy06269 @NetworkMail

modx Revolution 2.2.6
      Windows 2012 | IIS 8 | php 5.4.11 | MySQL 5.5.29

Content-Managed Websites Built on MODX
    • There are tabs (elements, files) at the bottom of the document tree. Elements are the snippets, templates, chunks etc.
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 194 Posts
        Ah, my bad. I am an idiot - I never noticed the "Elements" and "Files" splitter at the bottom-left of my screen (underneath where the site navigation structure is in 0.9.6.)

I did notice, however that the TinyMCE editor either hasn’t installed or doesn’t work. When I create/edit a document, I see in the editors drop-down - "None" and a blank entry. If I select the blank entry, it just acts as if there was no editor loaded.

modx Revolution 2.2.6

• 4,149 Posts
          splittingred Reply #4, 16 years ago
          Quote from: andyccn at Apr 30, 2008, 07:43 PM

Ah, my bad. I am an idiot - I never noticed the "Elements" and "Files" splitter at the bottom-left of my screen (underneath where the site navigation structure is in 0.9.6.)

I did notice, however that the TinyMCE editor either hasn’t installed or doesn’t work. When I create/edit a document, I see in the editors drop-down - "None" and a blank entry. If I select the blank entry, it just acts as if there was no editor loaded.

You’ll have to download the package here, then put it into core/packages, then follow instructions here.

Then (there’s a bug in the current alpha-1 release), you’ll need to add this line:
          <script src="{$_config.manager_url}assets/modext/util/spotlight.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Add that above the utilities.js include line on manager/templates/default/browser/index.tpl.

Then it should work. There’s still some bugs, but that’s the idea.
            shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
            • 194 Posts
            Hi Shaun,

Thanks for that info - it worked!

When I edited the browser/index.tpl file using MODx’s internal file editor, it stripped out all the <script> tags when it saved it (but that’s a bug for JIRA methinks, amongst a few others I’ve found.)

Cheers,

Andy

modx Revolution 2.2.6

• Quote from: Pandy06269 at Apr 30, 2008, 08:26 PM

When I edited the browser/index.tpl file using MODx’s internal file editor, it stripped out all the <script> tags when it saved it (but that’s a bug for JIRA methinks, amongst a few others I’ve found.)
              That could possibly be your Apache server doing that; see if mod_security is enabled and filtering script tags in POST’s. More info at http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/What_is_mod_security_and_how_does_it_affect_me
                • 194 Posts
                Quote from: OpenGeek at May 01, 2008, 12:05 AM

That could possibly be your Apache server doing that; see if mod_security is enabled and filtering script tags in POST’s. More info at http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/What_is_mod_security_and_how_does_it_affect_me

Ah thanks for that, Jason. Looking through the above link it certainly seems likely - I’ll give it a whirl tonight. I’ve never experienced it on 0.9.6 though.

Is there anywhere I can get more info on site contexts, and how to link a domain to specific contexts (e.g. www.site1.com -> modx097/site_1_context, www.site2.com -> modx097/site_2_context or something similar.)

I’ve looked at this page: http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/MODx097/Contexts but it only explains what they can do, not how to link different domains, subdomains etc.

Thanks again for a great system, can’t wait till the stable release!

Andy

modx Revolution 2.2.6

• Quote from: Pandy06269 at May 01, 2008, 08:34 AM

Is there anywhere I can get more info on site contexts, and how to link a domain to specific contexts (e.g. www.site1.com -> modx097/site_1_context, www.site2.com -> modx097/site_2_context or something similar.)
                  To stay with the flexible spirit of MODx, there are many ways to approach this now, and early adopters will no doubt find approaches that I never intended. But basically, the main two approaches to accessing contexts involve either using a plugin to detect a GPC variable to ’switch’ contexts from the main index.php, or creating directories with their own slightly modified index.php files which explicitly initialize a specific context.

In a plugin, you could simply initialize a new primary context:
                  <?php
                  // some example plugin code to switch contexts ...
                  switch ($_REQUEST['lang']) {
                      case 'es':
                          $modx->initialize('spanish');
                          break;
                      case 'fr':
                          $modx->initialize('french');
                          break;
                      default:
                          break;
                  }
                  ?>

Similarly, for domains ...
                  <?php
                  // some example plugin code to switch contexts ...
                  switch ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) {
                      case 'asub.domain.tld':
                          $modx->initialize('asub');
                          break;
                      case 'bsub.domain.tld':
                          $modx->initialize('bsub');
                          break;
                      default:
                          break;
                  }
                  ?>

You can also simply work with a modContext object without affecting the $modx->context that is loaded, or use a single MODx core with various virtual host directories containing index.php files with custom $modx->initialize() calls to a specific context.
                    • 194 Posts
                    Ah, thanks again Jason, I’ll have another play later this evening armed with the above post. I have a feeling this functionality will help in making MODx more attractive to corporate users!

Cheers,
                    Andy

modx Revolution 2.2.6

• 194 Posts
                      Quote from: OpenGeek at May 01, 2008, 12:05 AM

It doesn’t appear to be Apache:

Compiled in modules:
                      core.c
                      mod_authn_file.c
                      mod_authn_default.c
                      mod_authz_host.c
                      mod_authz_groupfile.c
                      mod_authz_user.c
                      mod_authz_default.c
                      mod_auth_basic.c
                      mod_include.c
                      mod_filter.c
                      mod_log_config.c
                      mod_env.c
                      mod_setenvif.c
                      mod_ssl.c
                      prefork.c
                      http_core.c
                      mod_mime.c
                      mod_status.c
                      mod_autoindex.c
                      mod_asis.c
                      mod_cgi.c
                      mod_negotiation.c
                      mod_dir.c
                      mod_actions.c
                      mod_userdir.c
                      mod_alias.c
                      mod_rewrite.c
                      mod_so.c

httpd.conf:
                      # LoadModule foo_module modules/mod_foo.so
                      LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so

If I try adding the SecFilterEngine off directive into a .htaccess file, I get a 500 server error with the following log message:

Invalid command ’SecFilterEngine’, perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration, referer: http://vdev.networkmail.eu/modx-097/manager/

I’ll add it as a bug in JIRA.

modx Revolution 2.2.6