We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 964 Posts
    In all my sites I create a new SEO tab, then create around 10-12 TVs related to Metatags, Sitemap and GAnalytics.
    Then I move all the TVs to the new tab and I also move description and alias, to this tab to have everything together.

With MM I would do this with two or three lines of code.
    With the new FC rules it takes a lot of time and repeating...

Why do I do this?
    I hide all unused stuff and just leave what the client will need in the manager.
    So it looks like the client is just filling some forms... works great!
    [The new TV tabs could modify this, I have not finished my first Revo site yet!]

Suggested solutions:

1) When I create a new TV, have a drop-down with the new tabs (if they exist) and actions (multi-select)
    to select. So in essence I would be creating the new TVs and its rules at the same time. All in one time.

2) Package the FC Rules, new tabs, etc in PackMan so then all is set after installing the distribution.

3) If we cannot have the packaging of rules right away, it would be nice that when you move, lets say,
    a chunk from the drop-down to the Chunks PackMan list, that chunk would be gone from the drop-down. Or maybe
    using one of those double boxes with the transfer arrows in the middle, tha available chunks in the left side
    and the moved to PackMan chunks in the right...

If you have more improvement suggestions that you would like to discuss for possible implementation,
    put them in this thread... thanks...

MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
      • 4,149 Posts
      Quote from: charliez at Aug 17, 2010, 07:11 PM

1) When I create a new TV, have a drop-down with the new tabs (if they exist) and actions (multi-select)
      to select. So in essence I would be creating the new TVs and its rules at the same time. All in one time.
      Would this apply to only the specified Templates, or all Templates for that TV? If the latter, that’s an easy add. If the former, the UX would be a bit more complex. But all in all this is a great suggestion, and one that IMO should go in JIRA asap.

2) Package the FC Rules, new tabs, etc in PackMan so then all is set after installing the distribution.
      Definitely a good feature request for PackMan, however, i wonder if there’s a better way to do scripting of FC rules. I wonder if an XML schema would be better than a package at this level, with export/import options on the FormCustomization page.

Basically, would allow you to build an XML script that could be used to import/export FC rules at will.

Also, would it be useful to have ’groups’ of FC rules? As a way of filtering different rules?
        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
        • 37 Posts
        YES it would be great to be able to filter rules !!!

I have another suggestion : would it be possible for the constraint to take several coma separated values ?

What I mean is that for the moment this

constraint class : modResource
        constraint field : id
        constraint : 1,2,3

does not work. and so I have to create several rules like so :

constraint : 1

constraint : 2

constraint : 3

And think it would be awesome if this :

constraint(s) : 1,2,3

did work !! It would save me a lot of boring time and make more sense I think.

I hope I am being clear enough here.
          • 55 Posts
          I second the comma separated values for a Constraint! It’s the largest problem I have right now with Form Customization. I really need to be able to apply rules to multiple templates. The XML import/export would be greatly welcomed as well or maybe even being able to specify rules via a chunk (I could then copy/paste rule chunks between sites, etc.).
            • 24,544 Posts
            That’s a great feature request. Please file it in Jira.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 107 Posts
              This might be along the same lines but since I love that we can customize the manager I use it a lot. I’d love it if there was a way to create a set of FC rules and apply the set to a user group. Then allow that set to be duplicated and applied to a different user group. In the last site I just built I had 13 FC rules and had to duplicate each one to apply them to a different user group. That was time consuming. It would be great if we could just export the set and then import it into a different MODx install to save time there as well.
                Crawford Paul

Bridgecourt Web Design - Proudly using ModX CMS
                Serving Welland, Niagara, Ontario, Canada and the world!
                http://www.bridgecourt.com
                • 24,544 Posts
                I’m not sure if PackMan will let you package FC rules or not. It’s tricky because the rules are tied to actions by the action ID number and that might not match the action IDs in the other site if you customize the menus or the sites aren’t from the same release.

The rules are in the modx_actiondom table and you could try exporting it in PhpMyAdmin and importing it in the other site, but I’m not sure it would work and, if not, it could blow up the site.

My MODX Extras
                  • 368 Posts
                  I too would love to see some kind of filtering or search for FC rules - similar to the way System Settings works. Once you get past 2 or 3 pages of rules, it gets hard to find the one you want.

Comma-separated values in constraints would be great too - but why stop there? It would save me dozens of rules to be able, for instance, to hide multiple fields or move multiple TV’s with a single rule, like ManagerManager.

I don’t know if this is possible, but high on my wishlist is an "action" comprising both "core - resource/update" and "core - resource/create" so that every rule related to both creation and editing of a resource doesn’t have to be created twice.

Another nice feature (reaching on this one shocked) would be automatically populated dropdowns on "containing panel", "constraint class" and maybe even a couple of others.
                    Jason
                    • 183 Posts
                    Quote from: kenquad at Sep 04, 2010, 04:58 PM

I don’t know if this is possible, but high on my wishlist is an "action" comprising both "core - resource/update" and "core - resource/create" so that every rule related to both creation and editing of a resource doesn’t have to be created twice.

I would appreciate this, too!
                      Add-On to easily manage your multilingual sites: Babel
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Quote from: kenquad at Sep 04, 2010, 04:58 PM

I too would love to see some kind of filtering or search for FC rules - similar to the way System Settings works. Once you get past 2 or 3 pages of rules, it gets hard to find the one you want.

Comma-separated values in constraints would be great too - but why stop there? It would save me dozens of rules to be able, for instance, to hide multiple fields or move multiple TV’s with a single rule, like ManagerManager.

Another nice feature (reaching on this one shocked) would be automatically populated dropdowns on "containing panel", "constraint class" and maybe even a couple of others.

These are great ideas. Could you use the Bugs and Requests link at the top of this page to record them so they don’t fall through the cracks?

My MODX Extras