We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 80 Posts
    Did Susan just say she has Cootie’s? shocked haha okay, I have to agree about being accurate but when you hand your site over to your client it seems really technical and I would imagine that as a developer one would be used to the difference between user friendly words and the technical jargon behind them... I mean since we already know it it’s not like I need a label that says lexicon... (wait, what the heck is a lexicon anyways? does it mean label? or Catagory? or what? I get confused every time I see this word haha)
    Is there a way to have user friendly words with a tool tip that would contain the "scientific" terms for "progressive learning" smiley
      Environment:
      modx: rev 2.0.8-pl
      localhost: Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) PHP/5.2.11 DAV/2, MySQL client version: 5.1.37
    • Here my impression of the manager user interface...

A. Context & Resource (Resource Tree)

1. It was nice to have the Resources Tree but sometimes it’s annoying. It will be better when we were not working on resource/element/file related page, the auto-expanding of the tree is off.

2. As already mentioned in previous comment, wordpress like table-grid is a solution to address the problems caused by 1000+ of resources. If we have table-grid, the Resources Tree should not show all resources, but only that on the root (of the context) and the container/folder resources.

3. When a user has limited permission to view context (without edit or save), right-clicking the context resulting unexpected "Access Denied!". I guess right-clicking on the context should only toggle on-off the tree, not displaying the context’s editing page. Or... related to point 2 above, it will display the table-grid. (perhaps it’s also should be applied to container).

B. Suggestion: Abilty to add new classKey

Beside modDocument, modWeblink, modSymlink, and modStaticResource, I want to create a new classKey. (i.e. modProduct). Is that possible to add a new classKey? (Sure, it’s possible laugh, but I mean dynamically to add a new classKey through manager)

Well, actually I’m looking for shopping cart module for MODx. Yes, there are such addon for Revo but I don’t like their approach in managing products and product-categories (sorry laugh). Instead of creating new tables for handling product/categories, I want to use default MODx resource to handle it.

I’m still trying to figure out the power of Form Customization (FC)(http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Customizing+the+Manager). Maybe TV and FC are the answer, but maybe not. I’m just trying to find out the best and fastest solution.

Cheers
        zaenal.lokamaya
      • Quote from: lokamaya at Mar 15, 2011, 12:40 PM

2. As already mentioned in previous comment, wordpress like table-grid is a solution to address the problems caused by 1000+ of resources. If we have table-grid, the Resources Tree should not show all resources, but only that on the root (of the context) and the container/folder resources.

3. When a user has limited permission to view context (without edit or save), clicking the context resulting unexpected "Access Denied!". I guess clicking on the context should only toggle on-off the tree, not displaying the context’s editing page. Or... related to point 2 above, it will display the table-grid. (perhaps it’s also should be applied to container).

I realize that Revo manager already have search utility (action=47), and maybe I can make search page as default view when working on resources page. So, when user click the context on Resources Tree, it will display "search page" with list of resources specific to that context.

--FYI, current search page ignores permission granted to specific user. I think it’s a bug.

zaenal.lokamaya
          • 297 Posts
          I’m sorry guys because I’m always with the same thing but, I think the tree element is really important. Is one of the best things on MODX. But there is a problem with this tree. Not for all the people, not for all enviroments, but there is a problem.
          Each time we do something the tree is reloaded. Why?
          If the tree were reloaded fast it would be great, but this is not what is happening.
          For example, we have a small/medium website with 6 levels of content. Each time I do something (save, edit... ) the tree has to load again. If i’m in the last level and "save" a document, MODX reload the entire page and launches 15 ajax requests, 7 of them related to the tree to load each level and it takes several seconds to finish. Can it be handled in a best way? Why have you do you force a tree reaload each time? It’s frustating to wait for the tree to reload when you have to make a lot of changes sad
          I posted this before in forums and as an issue here http://bugs.modx.com/issues/2510
          I hope you think about it and can give me ( us ) a solution.
          • Are you using MODx 2.1 ?
              • 297 Posts
              I have not tested the production website. But I’ve just made a test in other website in a fresh install of MODX 2.1 and the problem persists. The way the tree reload is the same than in prior versions, making a new ajax request for each level of the tree.
                • 297 Posts
                It doesn’t happen on save. It happens when I cancel ( button ) or when I click another element to edit it.
                  • 42 Posts
                  I agree that Revo is a much more productive environment overall compared to Evo and the MODx team did an amazing job pulling this off. The overall system is extremely well architectured.

On my priority list would also be the tree refresh issue which has now been mentioned in a multitude of posts in this forum, so it is something which bothers users and something they are concerned about. I would not push it too low down the priority list.

The tree refresh latency depends also a lot on the amount of AJAX requests fired and the wait time for results to come back not only the client, so I doubt that the move to ExtJS 4 will solve this entirely.
                    • 863 Posts
                    This is not a suggestion but a pat on the back for the dev team cool

As someone who avoids the mouse at all costs, the keyboard shortcuts that made it into recent releases are a *massive* time saver for me. Working in the back end now feels much snappier and a joy to use. Thumbs up guys!!
                      • 0 Posts
                      Yeah, Very Nice with keyboard shortcuts, it´s joy now.
                      Does anyone now a shortcut for: Create Document Here ?

When using Ctrl+Shift+N to Fast Create Resources it opens the pop-up fine, but when you hit "Save", the window stays open, and each time you click "Save", it creates another resource with the same name, so you end up with multiple resources in the background ?!

Anyone else experiencing this ?