We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 49 Posts

A few days ago in another forum post the following query:

-------------

I have a personal project and I am playing with Revolution
    I’m lost, I understand little or nothing of php.

For the front-end and to fill the database:

<form action="XXXXXX.php" method="POST">
    Nombre: <INPUT type="text" name="nombre">

Cuenta: <INPUT type="text" name="cuenta">

<input type="submit" name="Enviar" >
    </form>

Can you send data to the fields of TV? For visitors fill the fields provided front-end catalog, classified ...
    It can send data to tables with a different prefix to the Revolution?
    What are best practices?
    Any article to read?

Or is it better to go to the PlayStation until third-party components are developed

-------------

The lack of response made me think I was completely wrong, and started reading the tutorial custom table. It’s a little distressing to proceed with this tutorial without knowing if I will be able to generate forms to submit data from those tables.
    Customization Form The new component for me for no good either, but got it wrong, try to modify the administrator. And what I intend is to make a conventional form in the front-end.
    Elsewhere in the forum referred to TV as similar to the CCK Drupal, and if so what would be solved.
      • 49 Posts
      I wonder if this has something to do:
      http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,38654.msg236219.html#msg23621

Are you going to do this any way to build a catalog on Revolution?
      Can we use eForm in Revolution? Although I would prefer the TV because in this case is not for commerce. It is to assemble a catalog of a service company with the sole idea of contact with customers.

• 49 Posts
        EForm second thought is not an option, because if not misunderstood, eForm will not have an automatic upgrade to another third-party component performing the same function in Revolution.
        As such, this makes me a choice or begin to study php, or look for another CMS.
        And the lack of response prompted me to look for other open source alternatives is available to my knowledge, something like ocPortal cms.
          • 1,390 Posts
          Sorry for the lack of response. Since Revo is still in Beta, and it is relatively new, there aren’t many addons for it, yet. Would it be an option for you to use Evolution instead?

cheers/k
            • 49 Posts
            I am the only one who has to apologize for trying to use a framework for developers and that I’m not.
            In Evolution should use eForm, and as I said the previous post, you may not make an automatic upgrade (correct if I’m wrong).

I feel like I’m close, but it’s very confusing.
            90% of this project have tables and custom forms.

More than a dozen businesses with different fields, some are going to look for coverage area, one by GoogleMaps. A user can have several services in the catalog. There are services where the phone will be referred only to the user and others where the phone will be referenced to the address. Other items which are not services should be able to build his own well-defined product catalogs. The first record consists of two levels, customer or dealer will later have a higher level. Internal messaging and so on.

As you will see the creation of custom forms and tables in this vital project.
            For this reason I prefer to start development in Revolution.
              • 589 Posts
              Quote from: Mortal at Sep 09, 2009, 07:09 PM

I feel like I’m close, but it’s very confusing.
              90% of this project have tables and custom forms.

Franky, it sounds like a job for a programmer.
                • 386 Posts
                Hi Mortal

in Evo you can use eform and it’s events to collect, validate and store user submitted data in the database, snippets to re-display this data however you want, and webloginpe for registration/authentication of users. That gives you a basic framework for building CRUD applications. Alternatively you may wish to write your own classes to handle user registration, form validation and so on; take a look at the cakeMODx for a starting point:
                http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php?topic=35663.0
                (The advantages of rolling your own is that you will fully understand it, it will be optimised for your application, and it will therefore be easier to port to Revo).

You may also wish to take advantage of xPDO for mapping your database tables to php objects (ORM). It can be used with Evo’s database structure (there’s an xml schema somewhere in the forums) and again this will arguably make it easier to move to Revo at some later date.

I must agree with Eol that in practice you will find it hard to write the logic for a complex application unless you are comfortable with PHP/SQL.
                  Snippets: GoogleMap | FileDetails | Related Plugin: SSL
                  • 49 Posts

EOL:
                  It really is a big challenge for a non-programmer, but otherwise everything is solved from knowing Revolution create, modify, and delete objects called (I think they call this CRUD).
                  This at first you can intimidate, or incite to learn more (I think I’m leaving the first option).

therebechips:
                  Within misunderstanding me, I realize that knowing how to work with objects Revolution (and this is the big difference with Evolution), would have a total control not only the html, but also the logic without having to know SQL syntax , and that really worth it.
                  What happens is that the documentation xPDO as the same project will be completed xPDO develop after Revolution.
                  I’m not comfortable with php, but finally took the first step, I just install NetBeans IDE 6.7.1
                  "look at the cakeMODx" I’ll do it although I understand that you are referring to the API Evolution.
                  I decided to continue to develop with Revolution, and customized tables. I think better than the template variables. I understand that with the addition of custom tables to create relationships one one or one to many I can assemble my own package for a future server can change or avoid future conflicts with newer versions of Revolution.
                  Thanks for the replies, for now I will continue studying Revolution, luckily no time is pressing me.
                  (I think I’m the first to start from scratch with Revolution and Spanish speaking)
                    • 49 Posts
                    The file referred build.schema.php a directory that does not exist in my installation of Beta 3 Revolution

15. include_once MODX_CORE_PATH . ’model/modx/modx.class.php’;

Where did this file? modx.class.php

http://svn.modxcms.com/docs/display/revolution/Using+Custom+Database+Tables+in+your+3rd+Party+Components
                      • 49 Posts

I found the problem to define the way the file ’build.config.php’ in my case the directory is called RevB3:

**** With ’build.config.php’

2. define(’MODX_BASE_PATH’, dirname(dirname(dirname(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))))) . ’//’);

When you run ’build.schema.php’ I get this error:

>>>> Warning: include_once(C:\xampp\htdocs\RevB3\core//core/model/modx/modx.class.php

Watch "RevB3\core//core/"

****And with ’build.config.php’

2. define(’MODX_BASE_PATH’, dirname(dirname(dirname(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))))) . ’/RevB3/’);

When you run ’build.schema.php’ I get this error:

>>>> Warning: include_once(C:\xampp\htdocs\RevB3\core/RevB3/core/model/modx/modx.class.php)

Watch "\RevB3\core/RevB3/core/"

***And the file "modx.class.php" I found it in

C:\xampp\htdocs\RevB3\core/model/modx/modx.class.php

How do I fix this?