We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 39 Posts
    Our website is developed on 9.6.3 (installed in webroot). I am developing a new service on the website (totally separate from other services and with different users). To facilitate future migration to Revo 2, I want to develop the applications for the new service directly on Revo.

Is it possible to install Revo (preferably in webroot’s parent directory) with a separate database while keeping my 963 installation? I also have the option of installing Revo on a sub-domain (if possible), but prefer to install it on the same domain.

Appreciate your help.
      • 39 Posts
      Is there anyone here who knows whether it’s possible, and safe, to have both 9.6.3 and Revo installations on a single site?
        • 4,149 Posts
        It is not; Revolution has a different DB structure.
          shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
        • Actually it is possible if you use different table prefixes (or a different database), and are willing to do a little manual manipulation of the Revo files. You would need to rename the index.php to another PHP file (e.g. revo.php), alter the .htaccess rules and the settings (see request_controller System Setting) to match your modified gateway PHP filename, as well as manually locate the Revolution manager under a different directory (though you can choose to do this in the advanced distribution automatically). You might also need to be conscious of any Add-Ons in Revo that use legacy file locations that might conflict with your existing 0.9.x/1.x assets/ directory, though this would likely not be a common problem.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Why not put Revo in a subdirectory (using a different table prefix)?
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • As an alternate approach, you could develop your webapp using xPDO and 0.9.x/1.0.x and later easily convert it to Revolution.
                • 39 Posts
                Quote from: OpenGeek at Sep 08, 2009, 02:40 AM

As an alternate approach, you could develop your webapp using xPDO and 0.9.x/1.0.x and later easily convert it to Revolution.
                The main reason to develop using Revo is that I want to use the full potential of Revo in the new applications. Then, when the stable release of Revo is available, I can use the Revo installer to automatically convert current apps. New apps can be "copied" without too much problem.

As BobRay suggested, I want to install Revo in a sub-directory albeit with a separate DB. In this case, shall I perform a standard installation or shall I make the changes you mentioned to ensure both installations work properly?
                • Quote from: OldGuru at Sep 08, 2009, 04:55 AM

The main reason to develop using Revo is that I want to use the full potential of Revo in the new applications. Then, when the stable release of Revo is available, I can use the Revo installer to automatically convert current apps. New apps can be "copied" without too much problem.
                  There will not be any automatic conversion of scripts written for current MODx releases to Revo in the installer. There will be a migration guide that can help you convert them; only legacy tags will be automatically converted in content fields or external files containing MODx content. But I don’t see how you can use the full potential of Revo if the whole site is not in Revo. How do you see this working?

Quote from: OldGuru at Sep 08, 2009, 04:55 AM

As BobRay suggested, I want to install Revo in a sub-directory albeit with a separate DB. In this case, shall I perform a standard installation or shall I make the changes you mentioned to ensure both installations work properly?
                  My suggestions were for installing it in the same directory. Installing in a sub-directory is possible I suppose, but I wouldn’t know how to tell you to make it work without knowing more about how you plan to use the standalone webapp you want to develop in Revo.
                    • 39 Posts
                    If I understand correctly, conversion of tags done by installer is all needed to make current applications work under Revo. Of course, further changes will be needed when I want to take advantage of the new Revo features in current applications, but it’s not a priority. The most important factor is minimizing the downtime of current applications when switching the whole site to Revo.

The new applications are totally independent of current ones. Even users are different. My aim is to develop new apps in Revo and when they are ready for deployment, port current apps to Revo with minimal disruption to the service.

I plan to do this in the following steps. Please bear in mind that I am not yet quite familiar with Revo and may have made incorrect assumptions.

• Install Revo in a sub-dir
                    • Develop and test new apps using Revo
                    • Make a transport package of new apps
                    • Uninstall Revo
                    • Upgrade Evo 9.6.3 to Revo and make current apps work under Revo
                    • Add the new apps using the transport package to the new installation of Revo

As I said, I’m no Revo expert so there may well be simpler ways to do this.

Thanks for your help Jason.
                      • 39 Posts
                      Quote from: OpenGeek at Sep 08, 2009, 06:46 AM

Installing in a sub-directory is possible I suppose, but I wouldn’t know how to tell you to make it work without knowing more about how you plan to use the standalone webapp you want to develop in Revo.
                      I described my plan in the previous post. Could you please tell me if it works and what other steps, if any, shall I take to make sure there will be no conflicts between 9.6.3 and Revo. If you could also suggest a simpler way to do it, I’ll be grateful.

The new apps are accessed by its own group of users and have a separate login page.