We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Quote from: OldGuru at Sep 08, 2009, 01:04 PM

If I understand correctly, conversion of tags done by installer is all needed to make current applications work under Revo. Of course, further changes will be needed when I want to take advantage of the new Revo features in current applications, but it’s not a priority. The most important factor is minimizing the downtime of current applications when switching the whole site to Revo.
    This is not completely accurate; some Add-Ons may work with only the tag conversion, but most will need to be converted before they will work under Revo. It won’t be a huge effort to modify them so they work, but it will often require at least a few small changes in the PHP code.

Quote from: OldGuru at Sep 08, 2009, 01:04 PM

The new applications are totally independent of current ones. Even users are different. My aim is to develop new apps in Revo and when they are ready for deployment, port current apps to Revo with minimal disruption to the service.

I plan to do this in the following steps. Please bear in mind that I am not yet quite familiar with Revo and may have made incorrect assumptions.

• Install Revo in a sub-dir
    • Develop and test new apps using Revo
    • Make a transport package of new apps
    • Uninstall Revo
    • Upgrade Evo 9.6.3 to Revo and make current apps work under Revo
    • Add the new apps using the transport package to the new installation of Revo

As I said, I’m no Revo expert so there may well be simpler ways to do this.
    You don’t have to make transport packages of Add-Ons, but will be good practice.

There is currently no upgrade from Evo to Revo at this time. We’re hoping to have an upgrade script in the Revo installer, but it is possible that it will be a Revo Extension package that will be responsible for migrating sites from Evo. This is TBD. If you want to do this now, you’ll need to manually migrate your site data. There are some approaches to this discussed in the forums here, but I’ll have to look for them when I get a chance...
      • 24,544 Posts
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 39 Posts
        Thanks for the information.
        Quote from: OpenGeek at Sep 10, 2009, 04:06 AM

This is not completely accurate; some Add-Ons may work with only the tag conversion, but most will need to be converted before they will work under Revo. It won’t be a huge effort to modify them so they work, but it will often require at least a few small changes in the PHP code.
        I have used only three add-ons in current apps: WebLoginPE (bad choice embarrassed), Wayfinder, and eForm. If Revo supports 963’s document parser class’ API (which I believe it does) then I don’t expect too much problem fixing these snippets.

You don’t have to make transport packages of Add-Ons, but will be good practice.
        I’ll make transport packages only for my own snippets, templates and other resources. I may also recreate them in the new Revo installation by simple copy & paste instead of creating transport package if the time I save is significant.

There is currently no upgrade from Evo to Revo at this time. We’re hoping to have an upgrade script in the Revo installer, but it is possible that it will be a Revo Extension package that will be responsible for migrating sites from Evo. This is TBD. If you want to do this now, you’ll need to manually migrate your site data. There are some approaches to this discussed in the forums here, but I’ll have to look for them when I get a chance...
        I’ll wait for the stable release before porting current applications to Revo.

I take it that I do not need to make any changes to have both Revo and 9.6.3 installed on my site, as described above, without conflict. I am not clear about one thing though; in the case of a 404 error, which installation’s "Page Not Found" page will be displayed?
          • 39 Posts
          Quote from: BobRay at Sep 10, 2009, 05:07 AM

This may help: http://bobsguides.com/migrating-revolution.html
          Thanks Bob, but I’d prefer to port current apps only to stable release of Revo to minimize the risk of down time. By then, hopefully a tag converter, or at least a well-defined procedure, will be available and probably the Revo version of most of the add-ons that I’ve used will have been released.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Quote from: OldGuru at Sep 10, 2009, 05:31 AM

Quote from: BobRay at Sep 10, 2009, 05:07 AM

This may help: http://bobsguides.com/migrating-revolution.html
            Thanks Bob, but I’d prefer to port current apps only to stable release of Revo to minimize the risk of down time. By then, hopefully a tag converter, or at least a well-defined procedure, will be available and probably the Revo version of most of the add-ons that I’ve used will have been released.

I you read carefully, you’ll see that the instructions at Bob’s Guides tell you how to get either the latest release or the SVN version. smiley
              My MODX Extras
              • 39 Posts
              Quote from: BobRay at Sep 10, 2009, 09:45 PM

I you read carefully, you’ll see that the instructions at Bob’s Guides tell you how to get either the latest release or the SVN version. smiley
              I did read it carefully, but just the beginning of it. After reading:
              MODx Revolution hasn’t officially been released yet and I suspect that there is no exhaustive list of the steps necessary to make the conversion. The information on this page is incomplete and only here as a potential resource for testers and those who can’t wait to get started with Revolution.
              there was no point in reading the rest because I don’t intend to port my current apps to Revo before a stable version is released. My comment was based on the above comment at Bob’s Guides.
                • 24,544 Posts
                Quote from: OldGuru at Sep 10, 2009, 11:40 PM

there was no point in reading the rest because I don’t intend to port my current apps to Revo before a stable version is released. My comment was based on the above comment at Bob’s Guides.

Fair enough, but "stable version" is a somewhat flexible term. The current version is a Beta but a number of sites are currently running it (including modxcms.com) with little trouble. There are parts of Revo that are not fully mature (e.g. permissions) but otherwise it’s quite robust.
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 39 Posts
                  Quote from: BobRay at Sep 11, 2009, 05:12 AM

Fair enough, but "stable version" is a somewhat flexible term. The current version is a Beta but a number of sites are currently running it (including modxcms.com) with little trouble. There are parts of Revo that are not fully mature (e.g. permissions) but otherwise it’s quite robust.
                  I was not suggesting that current Beta version is not stable in the real sense of the word. I meant it in the customary sense which is applied to the official release coming after Release Candidates. As long as it is not officially released, it’s safe to assume that the development team still don’t feel confident that it’s fully ready for public use.

BTW, as per my previous question, if installing both 963 and Revo on a website does not cause any conflicts, do you know what happens if a 404 error occurs? For logging purposes, I capture 404 error by a plugin in 963 and intend to use a similar plugin in Revo. So, which plugin will be activated when a "Page Not Found" error occurs and is there any way that I can control that?
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Quote from: OldGuru at Sep 11, 2009, 06:41 AM

BTW, as per my previous question, if installing both 963 and Revo on a website does not cause any conflicts, do you know what happens if a 404 error occurs? For logging purposes, I capture 404 error by a plugin in 963 and intend to use a similar plugin in Revo. So, which plugin will be activated when a "Page Not Found" error occurs and is there any way that I can control that?
                    OpenGeek can give you a more definitive answer, but I’m fairly sure that as long as the two installs are using separate databases (or separate table prefixes) the index.php file for each install will handle the request and the parser will invoke the plugin for that install.
                      My MODX Extras
                    • Quote from: BobRay at Sep 11, 2009, 08:25 AM

Quote from: OldGuru at Sep 11, 2009, 06:41 AM

OpenGeek can give you a more definitive answer, but I’m fairly sure that as long as the two installs are using separate databases (or separate table prefixes) the index.php file for each install will handle the request and the parser will invoke the plugin for that install.
                      This is completely up to how to order the rewrite rules, if you are using those. TBH, I’ve never considered trying this, so, feel free to experiment and report back...