We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    Hi,

Hopefully I found the right thread to post my question.

I tried to find any kind of information regarding the state of the current development of the Revolution version and it seams that after nothing was written after august 2009 (as far as I can found).

So can it be possible to keep us updated on the advancement of the Revo project and when we can expect RC1 to be released. If I can make a suggestion, the main page of the ModX site should have a link to a Revo page where information about this fantastic project could all be grouped alongside with 3th party components, snippets and others.

It would really be appreciated.

And thanks for the good work!
      • 4,149 Posts
      LeCitadin,

You can follow SVN commits here:
      http://svn.modxcms.com/crucible/changelog/modx

And check on the current open issues for Revolution here:
      http://svn.modxcms.com/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10105
        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
        • 24,544 Posts
        Quote from: splittingred at Oct 08, 2009, 08:16 PM

And check on the current open issues for Revolution here:
        http://svn.modxcms.com/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10105

You’ll have to log in to Jira to see these.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 8 Posts
          Hi again and thanks for the reply.

I just spent about an hour browsing the urls you provided and I am still confused about which version I should start learning considering that much more work seams to be done in Evolution versus Revolution. I even say some work done on REVO 2.0.1 back in 2008 (???) while 2.0.0 is still in beta now.

Maybe you guys are extremely busy with the EVO maintenance which would explain the lack of resources for the REVO advancement. It would be nice to know.

Personally I would prefer Revo because of the OOP design around the xPDO module and the use of the great extJs Javascript framework. To me, those are major advantages over any other Framework/CM(S/F) and this is the kind of product on which I would like to build my web projects and business. I have not committed any time learning the EVO version because I am in the process of selecting a CMS/Framework for my project and REVO seams the way to go for me. Considering I might be ready to put my project online in the next 6 months, can I start with REVO or should I do it in EVO and convert it to REVO later on?

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I would appreciate simple textual information about where both product lines EVO/REVO are going and some kind of time frame for their releases for the reasons I mentioned above. I do not need exact date, just your best guess.

Thanks!
            • 4,149 Posts
            Quote from: LeCitadin at Oct 13, 2009, 02:36 PM

Personally I would prefer Revo because of the OOP design around the xPDO module and the use of the great extJs Javascript framework. To me, those are major advantages over any other Framework/CM(S/F) and this is the kind of product on which I would like to build my web projects and business. I have not committed any time learning the EVO version because I am in the process of selecting a CMS/Framework for my project and REVO seams the way to go for me. Considering I might be ready to put my project online in the next 6 months, can I start with REVO or should I do it in EVO and convert it to REVO later on?
            It depends on what your project requirements are; if you detail out what you would need, we can answer that question with some more accuracy.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I would appreciate simple textual information about where both product lines EVO/REVO are going and some kind of time frame for their releases for the reasons I mentioned above. I do not need exact date, just your best guess.
            We are in the process of preparing Revo for the beta-4 release; that should be out within the next 2 weeks or so.

As for RC1 - that wholly depends on community involvement in finding and committing fixes for Revo as it is, so it’s hard to give an estimate. (We also have to do client work to pay bills, too!) We hoped to get it out sometime in winter of this year. We’ll see.
              shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
              • 8 Posts
              Quote from: splittingred at Oct 13, 2009, 02:42 PM

It depends on what your project requirements are; if you detail out what you would need, we can answer that question with some more accuracy.

I believe that any good CMS/Framework can do about anything as long as it is not in a very specific domain, which is not my case. For me, it is not just the end result that counts. In my day job, I am a .Net consultant, so I am using the tools that are provided by my clients. Sometimes its fun and some other time its not, and that’s fine. For my personal projects though, I want to be able to choose a tool with which I can have fun and learn. To me, I think REVO could address those personal requirements. Hey, it’s still a past time after all. The future might be different though if I decide to work full time from home. So "fun to use" beta tools are fine, but they still needs to work eventually. This is kind of why I am asking questions about RC1 and how well this project is.

As for RC1 - that wholly depends on community involvement in finding and committing fixes for Revo as it is, so it’s hard to give an estimate. (We also have to do client work to pay bills, too!) We hoped to get it out sometime in winter of this year. We’ll see.

As hard as it may be to give an estimate, I thank you for your answer. It gives me hope that REVO RC1 might be ready in time for my project. I will start working on it with REVO so I can hopefully submit feedbacks on issues that need to be addressed.

I would like to contribute fixes, but I know I am not quite ready yet. I am quite new with PHP and I am still learning my abc’s with the language and the other components (MySql and Appache).

Also, while reading other posts, I came up with one in which you listed your team’s Twitter accounts. So now I (@P_Boucher) am following you to get the latest news on the evolution of the promising product. So please keep us posted on how thinks are going. It might even be useful to get help from the ModX community.

Thanks again.
                • 4,149 Posts
                Quote from: LeCitadin at Oct 13, 2009, 04:23 PM

Also, while reading other posts, I came up with one in which you listed your team’s Twitter accounts. So now I (@P_Boucher) am following you to get the latest news on the evolution of the promising product. So please keep us posted on how thinks are going. It might even be useful to get help from the ModX community.

Thanks for your interest! I often post updates, screencasts, and other info about Revolution on my twitter account; you should start getting them then. smiley
                  • 3,975 Posts
                  Just in case, Shaun goes by http://twitter.com/splittingred wink
                    Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                    • 2,877 Posts
                    This version is much nicer than the beta 2 I’ve been playing with! grin
                    YOU ROCK!!!
                      @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
                      http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
                      http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower