We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 51 Posts
    Just another quick question. I tried to search for "new tags revolution" but it didn’t find me anything, so I’ll just ask it over here:

Is there any simple way to convert an Evolution website to a Revolution website? Because with all the new tags a lot won’t work, if you simply copy it.
      • 1,390 Posts
      Quote from: paz at Aug 11, 2009, 10:14 AM

Just another quick question. I tried to search for "new tags revolution" but it didn’t find me anything, so I’ll just ask it over here:

Is there any simple way to convert an Evolution website to a Revolution website? Because with all the new tags a lot won’t work, if you simply copy it.

*Yes* there is...if what you are asking is about tag conversion (and not elements)...here is a guide..basically, a find and replace job... wink

http://bobsguides.com/migrating-revolution.html

cheers/k
        • 51 Posts
        Yes, I have worked this way in the past. I’ve even written a simple script that allows you to select the database tables you want convert (the options being site_content, site_htmlsnippets, site_snippets and site_templates), and then it generates an output similair to an SQL export in phpMyAdmin. The big difference between my generated output and phpMyAdmin’s out is that I immediately convert the tags.

But the main issue is that when I want to add a second website to the same Revolution install, it’ll have problems with the page ID’s (duplicate entries). That was solved by not adding the ID to the generated output. However, this will only allow me to insert the rows. Then there’s the problem of the page IDs in the links and the parent IDs for the navigation menu won’t either.

So I was hoping someone here had a solution for that, so I won’t have to go and update all links and parents manually.
          • 1,390 Posts
          Aah, I see.. sorry can’t help there wink

cheersk
            • 24,544 Posts
            Quote from: paz at Aug 11, 2009, 11:18 AM

Yes, I have worked this way in the past. I’ve even written a simple script that allows you to select the database tables you want convert (the options being site_content, site_htmlsnippets, site_snippets and site_templates), and then it generates an output similair to an SQL export in phpMyAdmin. The big difference between my generated output and phpMyAdmin’s out is that I immediately convert the tags.

But the main issue is that when I want to add a second website to the same Revolution install, it’ll have problems with the page ID’s (duplicate entries). That was solved by not adding the ID to the generated output. However, this will only allow me to insert the rows. Then there’s the problem of the page IDs in the links and the parent IDs for the navigation menu won’t either.

So I was hoping someone here had a solution for that, so I won’t have to go and update all links and parents manually.

One answer might be to add a fixed number to all the IDs in the DB (I think just the modx_site_content table) and do the same for all IDs found in link tags.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • With the new transport packaging system, it will be possible to create a backup tool that is independent of the actual id’s in the database. This would make a great add-on to the system in fact.