We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • On a few of our MODx sites we have thousands of users (over 13k)...Granted, not all of them are active, but they are there nonetheless...and growing.

Given the current layout of the Web Permissions page in the MODx manager, any user defined in a given Web group is displayed next to the Users in group: label. We have multiple web users and multiple web groups, most of which are a part of 3 groups or more at a time...this causes the Web Permissions page to take extremely long to load, as it is outputting all of these user names per group.

Question: Is this something that should be limited? Maybe moved to a separate, paginated section? Should it be an option in the site configuration?

Just curious if others have seen this as an issue and interested in feedback on a better way to represent the data/access web permissions w/ many web users.

Thanks!
      Mike Reid - www.pixelchutes.com
      MODx Ambassador / Contributor
      [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
      I could see this having problems in 0.9.7’s trees, too, as well.

Maybe something to talk about.
        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
      • Yes, I’ve had occasion to wish I could get a view of users filtered by group! Maybe this could be an option on the user view page itself? Sort of like the categories for resources?
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
          • 194 Posts
          i’m having the same trouble. i think paginating the users would be a good idea.
            • 576 Posts
            I’ve been working on this problem for the past week and a half, optimizing the db queries and such. I have only 10 managers but close to 30 document groups and over 700 documents.

My optimization brought the render times from 2+ seconds down to a reasonable 0.2-0.5 seconds. I will be commiting the changes on Monday as I would like to do some more testing.

Attached is my current revision of the files, use at your own risk smiley Extract it to a temp folder, examining the contents, and backing the files you replace.
            • Quote from: sirlancelot at Oct 19, 2007, 08:38 PM

I’ve been working on this problem for the past week and a half, optimizing the db queries and such. I have only 10 managers but close to 30 document groups and over 700 documents.

My optimization brought the render times from 2+ seconds down to a reasonable 0.2-0.5 seconds. I will be commiting the changes on Monday as I would like to do some more testing.

Attached is my current revision of the files, use at your own risk smiley Extract it to a temp folder, examining the contents, and backing the files you replace.

This sounds great! Without being able to look at it first, may I ask if it handles the output of associated Web Users/Web Groups differently? The main issue I was having is over 12,000+ users getting output PER doc group...It’s nice to see "Users in this group" but IMHO not necessary. I think there are better ways to represent the data, for example in the web user search form allowing "Search By Web Group" or something where pagination is already built-out... smiley

Can’t wait to test the new tweaks!
                [Module] MultiMedia Manager / [Module] SiteSearch / [Snippet] DocPassword / [Plugin] EditArea / We support FoxyCart
                Quote from: pixelchutes at Oct 19, 2007, 09:21 PM

This sounds great! Without being able to look at it first, may I ask if it handles the output of associated Web Users/Web Groups differently? The main issue I was having is over 12,000+ users getting output PER doc group...It’s nice to see "Users in this group" but IMHO not necessary. I think there are better ways to represent the data, for example in the web user search form allowing "Search By Web Group" or something where pagination is already built-out... smiley

Can’t wait to test the new tweaks!
                It looks pretty much the same. I’ve just optimized what’s "under the hood"

My ideal way of handling things would be to use some JS to pull the "Users in group" when the user clicked on or hovered over. But I’m not an AJAXian, so this is out of my reach :-/
                • Quote from: sirlancelot at Oct 20, 2007, 06:34 AM

My ideal way of handling things would be to use some JS to pull the "Users in group" when the user clicked on or hovered over. But I’m not an AJAXian, so this is out of my reach :-/
                  I’ve done Ajax in a module, but more for the fun of it than out of any sense of need. I can (sort of) see the "need" for something like that on the front-end, to impress our viewers, but I really don’t have anything against refreshing the frame when working with a Manager module. Surely a manager-admin type can have just a few seconds of patience, and I can’t help but feel that directly dealing with the API and being able to simply use the MODx object in the module’s code makes for a more stable application. And certainly much easier to code.
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  • Quote from: pixelchutes at Oct 05, 2007, 08:20 PM

On a few of our MODx 0.9.6 sites we have thousands of users (over 13k)...Granted, not all of them are active, but they are there nonetheless...and growing.

Given the current layout of the Web Permissions page in the MODx manager, any user defined in a given Web group is displayed next to the Users in group: label. We have multiple web users and multiple web groups, most of which are a part of 3 groups or more at a time...this causes the Web Permissions page to take extremely long to load, as it is outputting all of these user names per group.

Question: Is this something that should be limited? Maybe moved to a separate, paginated section? Should it be an option in the site configuration?

Just curious if others have seen this as an issue and interested in feedback on a better way to represent the data/access web permissions w/ many web users.

Thanks!

Reviving this old topic...

Anyone else out there currently running into issues related to Web Access Permissions displaying every associated user, per group? Many of my sites have a lot of users and multiple permission groups, which makes adding new permission groups a nightmare sad ...Not only does it take minutes to render the page, but the behavior must be repeated multiple times just to get a Web user Group, Resource Group, and then link the two. Sure, I could just do this from the database directly, but this page model needs some serious re-evaluation IMHO.

In the meantime to keep our systems functioning realistically we must update manager/actions/web_access_permissions.dynamic.php after every upgrade. Commenting out Lines 106 and 107 is enough to speed up the page response time to allow editing Web Access Permissions for sites with a very high web user count...

//if ($pid == $row['id']) echo ', '; // comma separation :)
                    //echo '<a href="index.php?a=88&id='.$row['user_id'].'">'.$row['user_name'].'</a>';

What would be the best way to bring some attention to this issue and possibly integrate a solution into the core?
                    • The user management back-end does need work. There should be options on filtering and sorting users from the user page, and the permissions creation pages really don’t need to have those user listings. It’s just not something that comes up very often.

If it’s not already a feature request in Jira, maybe it would be good to get it in there so it will not get forgotten.