We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    I am interested in hiring an experienced modx developer(s) with a goal of utilizing available modx features to develop a social networking site.

* anticipated start time - within 2 weeks
    * anticipated job duration - not sure - if faster then better
    * budget constraints - $3-4K
    * payment terms - to be discussed, but flexible
    * scope of work - let’s call it a dating/networking for accomplished professionals - please send a PM for detailed scope of work
    * IP ownership constraints (e.g., can the work be donated back to the community) - if anything new is developed, would be glad to donate it back to community.

(This post will stay open until informative responses are obtained or after jobs are filled or completed)

Thanks,
    AJ

• I can understand you want to use MODx if you’re familiar with it, but it’s important to use the most suitable script for the job. MODx Evolution is flexible, and I’ve moulded it to do some amazing things, but it’s not a framework for custom development, and doesn’t have social networking features built-in. Using a different software package could be more cost-effective and have less problems in the long-term.

Do PM me details, I’d be interested in talking further about this job.

Regards,
      Peter
        MAPLEDESIGN MODX development and MODX web design and custom development. Proud to serve UK and International clients!
        • 2 Posts
        Peter, I have sent you a PM regarding your comments.

AJ
          • 81 Posts
          Hi,

We were developing a complete suite of Social Networking snippets for MODx. We put it on hold because we needed paying work and that employer was having a cash flow problem. We would be happy to fish it out and finish it off for you.

Email me or PM me with/for more details.

Ramsay
            • 11 Posts
            Hi everybody,

@modx_nova + @pbowyer: Which suite you guys take now for Social Networking?

@pbowyer:
            but it’s important to use the most suitable script for the job

What would you recommend?
            • You could build this app on Revolution as you would have the huge advantage of modUser and creating complex roles and user groups that many social networking apps would provide. In addition you could also build this on xPDO with smarty outside of MODx entirely.

The thing that I always wonder when I read such threads is what constitutes a social networking feature? Sharing, messaging, walls, twitter/facebook/LinkedIn integrations or what.

In any event, best of luck on your project.
                Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                • 2,877 Posts
                I have a solution with weblogin (+ a bunch of sottwell snippets) that let users have their own profiles and are using custom db tables for extra user fields (e.g. youtube). Then just using Jot, MaxiGallery and a custom NewsManager for users who want’s to add products/blogs etc. Then I use dbEdit module to moderate it all.

But yes this takes some hours to set up! tongue
                  @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
                  http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
                  http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
                  • 129 Posts
                  Sounds like fun...all is possible

Would need to know more on your exact requirements for social features (as said above it might be easier to implement in another system).

Please pm to discuss details further.

newviewit.com
                    [center]-- smiley --[/center]
                    [center]New View Media - Custom Website Design[/center]
                    [center]Custom Website Design & Marketing = Strategic Business![/center]
                    • 283 Posts
                    We DO have a fully functioning social networking system built (if not yet live) and ready to go , built on MODX EVO and with LOTS of functionality including status updates, buddy lists, buddy news stream (facebook style - my buddy commented on etc) User Galleries, normal profile comments ala myspace style, frindly usernames (www.mysite/myname) and allsorts of other cool little bits and bobs ready to go ..

Cant broadcast the URL to the general populace, but would be more than willing to give interested parties a sneak preview ....
                      Everytime you use Flash ... a puppy dies .....
                      R.G Taylor
                      • 283 Posts
                      Quote from: pbowyer at Oct 15, 2009, 08:22 AM

and I’ve moulded it to do some amazing things, but it’s not a framework for custom development

I would disagree with that statement almost entirely .... i would say it is a GREAT API for custom development, in fact I would say it excels as an API more than as a CMS ....

that is why we use it almost exclusively ...
                        Everytime you use Flash ... a puppy dies .....
                        R.G Taylor