We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 372 Posts
    I came across the other day, seemed relevant from my experiences of the past few days.

If Architects Had to Work Like Web Designers

Unknown
    January 10, 2002

Please design and build me a house. I am not quite sure of what I need, so you should use your discretion. My house should have somewhere between two and forty-five bedrooms. Just make sure the plans are such that the bedrooms can be easily added or deleted. When you bring the blueprints to me, I will make the final decision of what I want. Also, bring me the cost breakdown for each configuration so that I can arbitrarily pick one.

Keep in mind that the house I ultimately choose must cost less than the one I am currently living in. Make sure, however, that you correct all the deficiencies that exist in my current house (the floor of my kitchen vibrates when I walk across it, and the walls don’t have nearly enough insulation in them).

As you design, also keep in mind that I want to keep yearly maintenance costs as low as possible. This should mean the incorporation of extra-cost features like aluminum, vinyl, or composite siding. (If you choose not to specify aluminum, be prepared to explain your decision in detail.)

Please take care that modern design practices and the latest materials are used in construction of the house, as I want it to be a showplace for the most up-to-date ideas and methods. Be alerted, however, that kitchen should be designed to accommodate, among other things, my 1952 Gibson refrigerator.

To insure that you are building the correct house for our entire family, make certain that you contact each of our children, and also our in-laws. My mother-in-law will have very strong feelings about how the house should be designed, since she visits us at least once a year.

Make sure that you weigh all of these options carefully and come to the right decision. I, however, retain the right to overrule any choices that you make.

Please don’t bother me with small details right now. Your job is to develop the overall plans for the house: Get the big picture. At this time, for example, it is not appropriate to be choosing the color of the carpet. However, keep in mind that my wife likes blue.

Also, do not worry at this time about acquiring the resources to build the house itself. Your first priority is to develop detailed plans and specifications. Once I approve these plans, however, I would expect the house to be under roof within 48 hours.

While you are designing this house specifically for me, keep in mind that sooner or later I will have to sell it to someone else. It therefore should have appeal to a wide variety of potential buyers.

Please make sure before you finalize the plans that there is a consensus of the population in my area that they like the features this house has. I advise you to run up and look at my neighbor’s house that he constructed last year. We like it a great deal. It has many features that we would also like in our new home, particularly the 75-foot swimming pool. With careful engineering, I believe that you can design this into our new house without impacting the final cost.

Please prepare a complete set of blueprints. It is not necessary at this time to do the real design, since they will be used only for construction bids. Be advised, however, that you will be held accountable for any increase of construction costs as a result of later design changes.

You must be thrilled to be working on as an interesting project as this! To be able to use the latest techniques and materials and to be given such freedom in your designs is something that can’t happen very often.

Contact me as soon as possible with your complete ideas and plans.

PS: My wife has just told me that she disagrees with many of the instructions I’ve given you in this letter. As architect, it is your responsibility to resolve these differences. I have tried in the past and have been unable to accomplish this. If you can’t handle this responsibility, I will have to find another architect.

PPS: Perhaps what I need is not a house at all, but a travel trailer. Please advise me as soon as possible if this is the case.

http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/archives/000455.php
      DropboxUploader -- Upload files to a Dropbox account.
      DIG -- Dynamic Image Generator
      gus -- Google URL Shortener
      makeQR -- Uses google chart api to make QR codes.
      MODxTweeter -- Update your twitter status on publish.
      • 2,314 Posts
      :) i especially like that part:
      PPS: Perhaps what I need is not a house at all, but a travel trailer. Please advise me as soon as possible if this is the case.
        • 615 Posts
        Great! laugh This is so to the point. laugh laugh
          I think, thererfor I am! But what I am, and why...?
          • 7,075 Posts
          lol I might even use it when I get preposterous requirements tongue

Thanks to @lossendae for pointing me to that thread !
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 2,877 Posts
              @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
              http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
              http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
            • i’am a real architect as well.
              trust me. it happens. LOL.
                Rico
                Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas A. Edison
                MODx is great, but knowing how to use it well makes it perfect!

www.virtudraft.com

Security, security, security! | Indonesian MODx Forum | MODx Revo's cheatsheets | MODx Evo's cheatsheets

Author of Easy 2 Gallery 1.4.x, PHPTidy, spieFeed, FileDownload R, Upload To Users CMP, Inherit Template TV, LexRating, ExerPlan, Lingua, virtuNewsletter, Grid Class Key, SmartTag, prevNext

Maintainter/contributor of Babel

Because it's hard to follow all topics on the forum, PING ME ON TWITTER @_goldsky if you need my help.
                • 1,390 Posts
                Made my day...lol laugh

cheers/k
                  • 204 Posts
                  We have a client we’re seriously considering sending this to. After a month of scope creep it seems like the perfect way to describe our experience working with them.

Thanks! laugh

• 386 Posts
                    I had a client just like this a few years ago. After months of scope creep we finally rolled out their highly custom (and for us at least, hugely expensive) e-commerce site.

A few months later the client had a conversation with a bloke in a pub who told him that he should replace the site with one powered by Actinic, because, and I quote, "Perl is better than PHP". Handily, the bloke in the pub said he could do it from his bedroom in a few days. Sure enough, a few days later the client switched the nameservers and the Actinic site went live.

Needless to say it was a disastrous for the client’s business. The customers were freaked by the sudden change and the new site looked very dodgy (think 1997 homepage, lurid green with flashing text). The Actinic site wasn’t integrated with the back office fulfilment systems so every order had to be processed by hand. Before the switchover they were taking £1000 worth of orders each day, a week after it was (the client later admitted) under £100.

Madness.
                      Snippets: GoogleMap | FileDetails | Related Plugin: SSL
                      • 40 Posts
                      Quote from: therebechips at Sep 30, 2009, 09:58 AM

I had a client just like this a few years ago. After months of scope creep we finally rolled out their highly custom (and for us at least, hugely expensive) e-commerce site.

A few months later the client had a conversation with a bloke in a pub who told him that he should replace the site with one powered by Actinic, because, and I quote, "Perl is better than PHP". Handily, the bloke in the pub said he could do it from his bedroom in a few days. Sure enough, a few days later the client switched the nameservers and the Actinic site went live.

Needless to say it was a disastrous for the client’s business. The customers were freaked by the sudden change and the new site looked very dodgy (think 1997 homepage, lurid green with flashing text). The Actinic site wasn’t integrated with the back office fulfilment systems so every order had to be processed by hand. Before the switchover they were taking £1000 worth of orders each day, a week after it was (the client later admitted) under £100.

Madness.

Actinic >:( Horrible, horrible memories.

It amazes me how dismissive of our knowledge clients can be (luckily, a very small number of them), in favour of their own bad ideas, only then to take advice from a nephew who made a really good Myspace layout, or some "SEO" salesman who then rings you and tells you that the reason the site isn’t top in Google is because of meta tags *facepalm*.