We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,161 Posts
    Do you need to do this from an active installed version of MODx 1.0.2 or would using the basic files from the download archive be OK? Is this why the paths to the manager/includes file is all messed up?

This is really annoying. Why use a newer version of TinyMCE in the new version of MODx if you can’t add critical CSS configurations???? As it is the RTE has tons of unwanted options that clash with the template CSS. Not being able to add CSS selectors to the RTE makes it unusable...

Sorry for the vent, but this is one of these time wasting hassles I simply loathe...
      • 1,098 Posts
      Do you need to do this from an active installed version of MODx 1.0.2 or would using the basic files from the download archive be OK
      I did it from a website previously installed.
        • 1,161 Posts
        Quote from: microcipcip at May 31, 2010, 07:25 PM

Do you need to do this from an active installed version of MODx 1.0.2 or would using the basic files from the download archive be OK
        I did it from a website previously installed.

Got it. Thats a hassle though. Would having different installs on different serves create manager/includes path issues?

I looked into the CKEditor. It looks promising but there are issues with adding custom CSS selectors which is the whole object here, no?
          • 1,161 Posts
          Wait a minute!!!

Inside the Plugins folder the new version of TinyMCE is just called "tinymce" but in the older version (via MODX 1.0.2) the plugin folder is called "tinymce3241"

Changing the folder name seems to do the trick! Even my added CSS selectors that I previous added via the 1.0.3 MODx Manager session show up!

This means you CAN use the files from the basic archive rather than copying them from an active server install.

Phew!

PS: I hope we can update MODx 1.0.3 to ANY version of TinyMCE that allows you to add CSS selectors!!!!
            • 1,098 Posts
            I’ve installed it in many website and I didn’t have any issue. I like CKEditor, I have it installed in my website because TinyMCE doesn’t allow me to add html code when I write tutorials, it automatically delete class="" from the code.

However, there are some problems with CKEditor.
            1) No CSS Selector
            2) Internal links are missing (I mean tree menu link)

But Yama is very skilled I think that he could resolve these problems easily. Recently he has updated CKEditor I will try it and see what’s new.
              • 1,161 Posts
              Thanks for the update!

I have sort of been watching the development of this plugin. It does seem like CKEditor is getting a lot of attention which is great. I will wait for the dust to settle and see how these issues have been resolved.

It seems like these RTE’s always get bigger which each version. What I want is a simple RTE with minimal choices if I so decide. I want to build my CSS and have those declarations as custom options. I want to avoid having clients picking six fonts, crazy colors, and ten text sizes after I have taken all that time designing a site and making the CSS happen...
                • 1,098 Posts
                Yes, I agree. But I can’t imagine what they could do without it! smiley

The number of feature to show or hide can be customized but I am a noob with this kind of things, it would take several hours to understand how it works.