We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 249 Posts
    I know this is venturing off-topic, but it would be so beneficial to have a benchmarking add-on for Revolution for users to test the capabilities of the server hosting the site. The data from the tests could be uploaded to a section in the modx.com website along with hosting information (company, plan type, IP, location, etc) where it can be saved and charted against other data sets. People will be able to say, wow - this host has great performance here, or wow - that host has a lot of lag there...

my 02c
      lo9on.com

MODx Evolution/Revolution | Remote Desktop Training | Development
      • 150 Posts
      Quote from: cyclissmo at Jul 14, 2011, 11:15 PM

I know this is venturing off-topic, but it would be so beneficial to have a benchmarking add-on for Revolution for users to test the capabilities of the server hosting the site. The data from the tests could be uploaded to a section in the modx.com website along with hosting information (company, plan type, IP, location, etc) where it can be saved and charted against other data sets. People will be able to say, wow - this host has great performance here, or wow - that host has a lot of lag there...

my 02c
      +1 but for Evo as well...
        "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
      • Interesting idea, what kind of data do you think would be relevant?
          Patrick | Server Wrangler
          About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
          • 9 Posts
          Cloud computing and Cloud hosting in particular is about "providing/using a high quality metered resources". The concept of claiming you do "4G Hosting" with an unlimited bandwidth is just another step of bringing an overselling into a web hosting niche where it does not belong.
            HostColor.com - Quality MODx Web Hosting
          • I have dealt with a lot of different companies setting up servers for clients... I have been very happy with Bluehost for simple shared-hosting services. I haven’t been at all impressed with GoDaddy... I compared several VPS providers here, including GoDaddy and MediaTemple:
            http://tipsfor.us/2011/04/18/comparison-of-vps-providers/

• 12 Posts
              I used to be satisfied with BlueHost, but recently their policies have gotten quite poor. MODx used to run okay (not fast, but I didn't know better), but after I began deployment, I got letters stating I was using "too much space" on my UNLIMITED package... WHAT?! The sad part is, I wasn't even using that much space - about 4GB. That's when they began throttling the hell out of my account. Made MODx unusable. Didn't even call or complain. Just gave 'em the boot. Later they sent me an email stating they could not reach my credit card to charge the next year of hosting onto it... at twice as much as I originally was paying. Didn't respond. They email again, telling me they'll give me another year at $5.99.

No thanks, BlueHost. They went down the tubes quite quickly.

There are many shared hosts that run MODx well. But if you want to unleash the full potential of the CMS, have a mid-to-large amount of data or are hosting a professional project, (like all other CMS), you'll want a more professional-friendly host. I didn't even know how fast MODx was until I installed it on a dedicated host, and now I can never go back smiley.

I run a few projects in MODx over Google's App Engine. Couldn't be happier. Funny thing is - I'm able to do much more on App Engine then I was on BlueHost before the throttling kicked in... while still keeping it under Google's limit for free accounts. You can see why budget hosting services are insanely profitable. I've found its easier just to pay more out the gate than to try and develop & deploy, then find out you need to migrate to a different server.

App Engine & Amazon services for MODx all the way. Either that, or find a shared host that doesn't make you sign a year's contract smiley
              • Yeah, I noticed the same with Bluehost. Throttling is a bummer... I'm kinda concerned now when a host gets popular (Liquidweb? How much time do we got?)

I rent space on my server if anyone has outgrown their shared host but can't quite afford the skills/price of setting up their own VPS.
                • Re Bluehost - I'm hosting two distinct live sites (mine as well as a friend's) plus several subdomains attached to my own domain; altogether about 300MB. Both sites seem to be running fine with Evo, and a shiny new Revo installation in dev.sottwell.com also seems to be working fine.
                    Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                    Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • I strongly do not recommend GoDaddy: in a word, they are incompetent and their services repeatedly fail... I've had nothing but trouble with them: http://tipsfor.us/2011/12/24/why-godaddy-is-a-horrible-host/

Maybe if Bob Parsons focused on quality service instead of sexy advertising I could forgive this type of thing, but as it stands, their hosting is unusable, and their registrar services are a rough ride.