We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 150 Posts
    Anyone have any experience with GoDaddy’s hosting now that they have re-branded it? Is it as fast as it is supposed to be? Are their backups as good as they are supposed to be? Is there service good?

I’m currently on MediaTemple and happy; there are times when I notice a bit of a lag. I like that I can tell people about the cloud features and load balancing, which is why I haven’t looked around until now. Now I see there are other companies that offer this. I want a host that actually has automatic backups, because I have to do manual backups as of now. I saw GoDaddy touting their 4GH hosting as the best there is, and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this?

Also setting up MODX on GoDaddy - how easy/hard is it? I noticed they have auto-install now...
      "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
      • 11 Posts
      Hi goonz,

I’m about to launch a site on godaddy running modx, it has been absolutely wonderful. The thing I can’t say enough about is their tech support, usually about two minutes and I’m on the phone with someone who knows what they’re talking about and is friendly. They access my account, do whatever I need done and then show me how to do it myself = awesome.

The site runs ok. It’s not as fast as I’d like it but I think that has a lot to do with my newbie use of snippets. As far as the speed of the server, when I test "normal" pages it loads like a dream.

Also, I was able to enable FURLS and use them without ANY trouble, which is much more than I can say for other hosts. modx works really well with godaddy.
        • 150 Posts
        Fair enough. And the support techs spoke typical North American english? Any one else?
          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
        • I am working on a site hosted with GoDaddy. It is a drastic improvement over their prior incarnations, but as Johnny noted the speed is a little off. I haven’t worked with their support as I was able to resolve the issues that came up.

It should be fine for hosting a single site/account or as a staging server, but I would not use it for hosting multiple client sites under one account.
            Patrick | Server Wrangler
            About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
            • 11 Posts
            Quote from: AMDbuilder at Jul 14, 2011, 08:27 PM

It should be fine for hosting a single site/account or as a staging server, but I would not use it for hosting multiple client sites under one account.

Agreed. And yes, North American English... wink
              • 150 Posts
              Quote from: AMDbuilder at Jul 14, 2011, 08:27 PM

I am working on a site hosted with GoDaddy. It is a drastic improvement over their prior incarnations, but as Johnny noted the speed is a little off. I haven’t worked with their support as I was able to resolve the issues that came up.

Right. The marketing is good, but I am super worried about the speed...
                • 11 Posts
                Quote from: goonz at Jul 14, 2011, 09:27 PM

Fwiw, I’ve had good experiences with bluehost.com. That’s where I do my own dev work... They’re fast, and you can get a dedicated account (if you like), which is even faster.

Also heard good things about hostgator.com, though I can’t speak from experience with them, check out their VPS hosting which looks to be pretty cheap.
                  • 150 Posts
                  Quote from: JonnyRadar at Jul 14, 2011, 09:51 PM

Quote from: goonz at Jul 14, 2011, 09:27 PM

Fwiw, I’ve had good experiences with bluehost.com. That’s where I do my own dev work... They’re fast, and you can get a dedicated account (if you like), which is even faster.

Also heard good things about hostgator.com, though I can’t speak from experience with them, check out their VPS hosting which looks to be pretty cheap.
                  Thanks for the tips. I really would like to stick with a company that offers a grid service solution though...
                  • You are more likely to have speed issues on a grid service in my mind then a VPS server. If services are spread among several servers (grid) you add the delay in communicating between servers.

If you are looking to improve reliability a cloud vps setup would better accomplish your goals. If there is an outage on your main server (or heavy traffic) resources are expanded or server switches to a backup.

Our main VPS server has gone 3 months without any outages, and only 3 minutes the month before. The point if well managed VPS servers can be just as reliable if not more so than grid servers... Granted that is just my two cents.
                      Patrick | Server Wrangler
                      About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                      • 150 Posts
                      Price point of a VPS? And there are places that manage the backups etc?