We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I’m excited as well, and please rest assured that the Tattoo development roadmap which is being defined now, will include research and development tasks for making use of the Zend framework where it is practical and makes sense in the context of a Content Management Framework. But keep in mind that this is an early release of the Zend framework, and that many of the things that have already been implemented in the Tattoo codebase using existing frameworks, will most likely be abstracted using a Factory pattern. This would allow pluggable implementations of the core framework pieces for each "service" available in Tattoo, while the Tattoo API’s for related to these services would remain consistent. In this way, you could create a hybrid core system that uses the best of pieces from whatever frameworks you want to use for specific tasks. Example: I might use the base Tattoo CacheManager, along with the Zend Logging services and Zend_DB for the db layer (vs. Creole, which is used in the current prototype, or direct PDO/SDO, which I also plan to support in Tattoo), and maybe Zend Web Services API. This way, the Content Management Framework doesn’t become dependent on any specific external projects, yet can still take full advantage of ones needed in specific scenarios.

This really reinforces the need to stay focused on Content Management-related features going forward. Tattoo will have a niche to fill, and trying to duplicate the functionality already available from a plethora of other frameworks would be an exercise in futility. MODx may be both a CMS and a PHP Application Framework, and the current hosting landscape where PHP 4 is prevalent, warrants it to fill both roles, but I’d like to see Tattoo focus more on being a pure CMF core, providing facilities where necessary for integrating best of breed frameworks, tools, and services, be they from Zend or anyone else.
      • 42 Posts
      Through past discussions, i believed that Prado could become the underlying framework, it’s a pity changes have been made to my mind.

I propose to have a look on this thread http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,1494.msg9981.html#msg9981

Apart from this, i maintain my Best of Breed applications here http://www.shortcut.cc/landscape/ if it can be useful out there (look section BoB lists)

By the way, this space could be used as a repository for Modx modules, plugins, snippets ...
      Maybe best option later on would be to make sitebar php script "compliant/integrated" into Modx script or Modxcms web site, just a suggestion
        Alexandre Emeriau
        • 138 Posts
        If the team is going to use a framework I hope they check cakephp www.cakephp.org
          patagonia, argentina
        • We’ve got a different take on frameworks which will be revealed in short order.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 1,495 Posts
            One thing to note thought, that we’re actually a framework, but framework for both coders and designers, while cakephp and alike are framework for coders only.
              Wendy Novianto
              [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
              [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
              • 7,075 Posts
              Code Igniter is closer to Ruby On Rails with a MVC model and even if I did not test it, the quicktime demo makes me think even a non-coder like me can get a grasp on it...

To me, the woud-be Tattoo competitor, the one I’ll really keep my eye on...
                .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                • 1,495 Posts
                I’m using CodeIgniter right now, so I might want to chip in a little bit of the inside.
                It’s a nice simple framework that serves its purpose. It might be good to implement this for MODx developers convenient, but it’s a different approach with MODx. So rest assure, our competitions are still rare. Not many CMS or Framework have the same functionality like MODx. We’re a new breed of CMS/CMF system on PHP I believe, other than Etomite, our older bro.
                  Wendy Novianto
                  [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                  [font=Verdana]Xituz Media