We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    Quote from: BobRay at Oct 18, 2018, 10:30 PM
    It's difficult to know without knowing what that person actually did.

These are my best guesses at this point (assuming that the site is not hacked):

• The smarty files are not the right ones for your version of MODX.
    • Some smarty files are from a different MODX version than others.
    • The latest version is installed in a new location but there are some references to the old files, which are still there.

I think the last one is most likely based on the directories with numbered names you mentioned earlier.

The person downloaded a full all version and overwrote everyting, the downloaded files had been hacked previously, I solved before updating ModX, but now when I try to update, it only allow me a new installation, and I think it will overwrite the databases and all the articles created, or at least there is a good chance it happens
      • 8 Posts
      The person downloaded a full all version and overwrote everyting, the downloaded files had been hacked previously, I solved before updating ModX, but now when I try to update, it only allow me a new installation, and I think it will overwrite the databases and all the articles created, or at least there is a good chance it happens.

It is not all, it is old

Is there anyway to uodate without the installer?
        • 24,544 Posts
        When it will only let you do a "new" installation, it relates to the config.inc.php file (by default, in the core/config/ directory). The config.inc.php file contains the database name and credentials. If they are not correct or the MODX tables with the specified prefix don't exist in the DB, it assumes it's a new install.

You *definitely* want to do an "upgrade" install, unless the site you're upgrading has been hacked. In that case you might consider creating a new MODX DB from scratch, installing new MODX files into an empty directory from a fresh download, running setup in "new" mode, and either importing the old DB (after dropping or emptying all tables on the new site), or cutting and pasting content from the hacked site. Neither method is much fun, and you'll want to keep safe backups of the various sites and good notes on which are which as you go.

If you import the DB, you'll want to make sure the two versions of MODX are the same.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting