We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 34 Posts
    I had a consultant install Modx Rev v 2.5.7-pl for me. I'm trying to change from a site in WordPress/ html. Consultant set up three menus from Manager per instruction but they go nowhere. From Manager, I can edit a menu item: however how do I put a link to a page in the Menu?

My site has two types of pages that I need to add. One type are imagemaps which I've had working for years in html. I have around 4 one-page custom imagemaps. Do I need to link to html in Modx Rev or is there a feature for this?

Another type of page are country pages which are Tables. These usually have 3 columns and may be 20-25 rows. Column 1 usually carries an image. Is there an easy to use table plugin for Modx or must I code all these in html?

I have no problem buying plugins but I can't afford to spend another 2K for an install with an empty shell. On Windows-10, apparently no technical problems, just "how do I"? No, googling youtube videos hasn't been useful. Note: the inability to handle large #'s of images is why I left WordPress, Modx apparently has no such limitations.

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

[ed. note: julius nepos last edited this post 5 years, 10 months ago.]
      • 932 Posts
      Hey,

Welcome to the wonderful world of MODX.

Q. Do I need to link to html in Modx Rev or is there a feature for this?
      A. You can either insert the HTML of the page into a chunk and call it onto the page, or into a template and assign the resource the template you just created. Or if you don't want to get involved in that you could just create or edit a resource and hit the 'settings' tab and change the resource type to 'static resource' and link it to a static html.

Q. Another type of page are country pages which are Tables. These usually have 3 columns and may be 20-25 rows. Column 1 usually carries an image. Is there an easy to use table plugin for Modx or must I code all these in html?
      A. I'm not stricktly aware of a table plugin which you could use. I think most developers would either create their own from either MIGXDB or a MIGX TV. Assuming you're not a developer though I'd suggest consider hiring a developer to create this for you, it'll most likely only be a few hours work.

Yep if I recall Dell uses MODX as an image library smiley
        ■ email: [email protected] | ■ website: https://alienbuild.uk

The greatest compliment you can give back to us, is to spend a few seconds leaving a rating at our trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/alienbuild.uk about the service we provided. We always drop mention of services offered by businesses we've worked with in the past to those of interest.
        • 34 Posts
        Quote from: lkfranklin at Apr 30, 2018, 02:47 PM
        Hey,

Thanks but "how do I put a link to a page err, "resource" in the Menu?". How do I use the manager to edit menus? While it's great to create chunks, I've read that these are html things. I need to edit the menus in the Manager.

I think I've found it. I put:
        <a href="[[~34]]">My Description</a> in the Menu Title field. Any suggestions on how to rearrange these things? I have 4 Menu Items in poor order. How do I make item# 2 at the top??? I can't believe I'm the only one to try to make menus in Modx.

A new Revolution revelation, I have the Wayfinder 2.3.3-pl menu app already installed but don't know how to use.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Wayfinder is definitely what you want. It will make almost any kind of menu based on the tree (or any part of it) at the left side of the Manager.

Putting a Wayfinder tag in your template is the usual method.

https://docs.modx.com/extras/revo/wayfinder

Welcome to MODX. smiley
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • discuss.answer
            • 34 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at May 01, 2018, 04:09 AM
            Wayfinder is definitely what you want.

Well I modified the post to just discuss Menus. I have Wayfinder installed on Rev 2.5.7-pl.

I can see from the Modx Docs there are examples of wrappers and snippets and chunks and something called "Output" However how do I get a Menu item to call a particular chunk?

It appears that the menus I've gotten were setup from the Manager. I can find no templates which call Wayfinder functions nor relevant chunks.

Here's what I need to do on my Homepage [illustrated]. After this I have 4 imagemaps which show countries. Each of these Imagemaps should have a left menu item which is just a list of countries as a backup. For example people may not be able to click on Paraguay next to bigger Brasil, so I want it in a list at left.

This shows the [hoped for] menu layout of the Homepage. The menu Items are in the blue boxes. Any way I can do this with Wayfinder?
              • 1,154 Posts
              Yeah Wayfinder would be great for you. Here is a good video to get you started, he uses just the basic snippet call that you can put in your template.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKXD2-LC1Wg

For each menu they would be separate Wayfinder calls. Each call specifies a Modx resource number (the parent resource), and then Wayfinder will dig however many levels you want it to. Remember a resource can also be a container.

So, just make resources top_menu left_menu_1 and left_menu_2, and put say two resources in them, those will be the links you will see. Styling can be done for each or can be unified. Each Wayfinder call can be level 1, but each parent id will be different.

For the two left menus, you could even combine them into a chunk and place, with html, whatever you like in between them, Chunks are bits of html to make parts of the site. For instance a picture, or even some sort of stuff like your twitter feed or live results from the track.

Edit: I think even those child resources (of the current resource) could be done using Wayfinder, but that's slightly tricker, the child resources of the current resource.
                • 1,154 Posts
                BTW 2k for an install *without porting the data* is...not very reasonable. Well, there may have been some consulting as well, making these decisions is not easy.

But I understand that its hard to find a person you can trust who can do the job. And porting the data into the new site can get expensive its true. Converting a site is a little tricky but Modx has as few limitations as possible.

For those tables, they should be no problem, Modx displays tables by default because they are just html (meaning the structure of the webpage). When you move them you can do so gently and then you will need to work out the picture links, and the pictures may need an extra or two.

Let us know how you are getting on. Someone will always come round with a bit of useful knowledge wink [ed. note: nuan88 last edited this post 5 years, 10 months ago.]
                  • 34 Posts
                  Quote from: nuan88 at May 04, 2018, 07:16 PM
                  Yeah Wayfinder would be great for you. Here is a good video to get you started, he uses just the basic snippet call that you can put in your template.

Thanks very much. That's a really great explanatory video. He made the menus with just that one line Wayfinder snippet. My current Wayfinder snippet is 200 lines of code and I have no clue what any of it does PLUS my menus don't work which is why I'm here in the 1st place. I saved it as created a new snippet with just that one call.

While this is off tangent, I'm wondering if I should not just reinstall my whole site? None of the Modex directories are there Manager, nor connectors, nor core. There are over 5000 files in 1,100 directories. It makes finding anything hard.
                    • 34 Posts
                    Quote from: nuan88 at May 05, 2018, 01:06 PM
                    BTW 2k for an install *without porting the data* is...not very reasonable.
                    For those tables, they should be no problem, Modx displays tables by default because they are just html (meaning the structure of the webpage). When you move them you can do so gently and then you will need to work out the picture links, and the pictures may need an extra or two.

Let us know how you are getting on. Someone will always come round with a bit of useful knowledge wink

Thanks very much. There are 2 reasons which made Wordpress a bad fit for me & I'm hoping ModX does better.

** I should add that I contracted out for a WordPress Developer. The Dev I got convinced me to go with ModX instead due to my site's requirements: a decision I still agree with.

1) Site was always getting hacked but maybe it could've been made into one of these hardened installs. They were getting in thru the plugins of which I had many. We did the best hardening at the time but I understand there have been improvements.

2) Biggest issue. WP cannot handle big picture archives well. I eventually got this one plugin developer to write a specialty plugin for me, however it still lacked the critical feature needed to make the whole thing work. I understand once you get that complex tho, you're moving out of the WordPress sweet spot tho.

3) My website is 300 pages mostly of coded by me html pages. Tables are a big part of this so that's good news.

• 1,154 Posts
                      Yeah Modx can host and serve your html pages easily, with no adjustments needed at all. Totally understand the issues with WP, its for people with limited skills mostly.

With Modx, you have a ton more control, but there are a lot fewer finished tools to get you functionality quickly. However, there are a lot of solutions out there for nearly everything you could need, they just need a bit of tinkering with.

While this is off tangent, I'm wondering if I should not just reinstall my whole site? None of the Modex directories are there Manager, nor connectors, nor core. There are over 5000 files in 1,100 directories. It makes finding anything hard.

Well, with Modx its fairly easy to start again, as long as you have the old database. But I don't know what your situation is? Those directories are on the server side of things, not in the manager.

If you are playing with Wayfinder then you are in the manger, where you can create resources and templates, right? After you log in? And that's where hopefully you can see your resource tree, that's basically your webpages and a few extra helper pages as well.

On the server side you will see (in public_html) folders like manager, core and connectors.

Where are your html pages now? In your Modx tree or not?