We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 571 Posts
    That is fairly normal. Your MODX Manager will have a password specific to MODX.

To access files on the server using FTP software like FileZilla you will need a different user name and password.

The company you have purchased your web site hosting from may have provided this to you.
      If I help you out on these forums I would be very grateful if you would consider rating me on Trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/andytough.com

email: [email protected] | website: https://andytough.com
      • 24,544 Posts
      FileZilla would need to use the FTP username and password, not the MODX credentials.

Is there any chance you could get cPanel access? That may be necessary to correct the problem.

If tmp and uploads are the only 777 directories, your problem with uploading images may be unrelated to the rest of the trouble, since those directories wouldn't normally affect saving objects in the Manager.

In the Manager, do you see "Manage Users" under the "Manage" top menu option?

Do you see the gear icon at the upper right and Access Control Lists when you hover over it (not sure if that's there in your version)

If there's no gear icon, do you see a "System" menu option and anything related to permissions or ACL under it?

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 18 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at Dec 02, 2017, 09:11 PM

Is there any chance you could get cPanel access? That may be necessary to correct the problem.

Hey Bob! From what I could read on the internet cPanel access requires some additional information from the hosting company, right? It is not something I could do with /manager login and password, correct? If so, what questions should I ask the hosting company to get all the necessary info?

Quote from: BobRay at Dec 02, 2017, 09:11 PM
        In the Manager, do you see "Manage Users" under the "Manage" top menu option?

Do you see the gear icon at the upper right and Access Control Lists when you hover over it (not sure if that's there in your version)

If there's no gear icon, do you see a "System" menu option and anything related to permissions or ACL under it?

I do see "Manage users" and there is a gear icon on top. Inside of the Access Control Lists there are two entries: anonymous and Administrator(1).
          • 18 Posts
          Also, there is another annoying problem. After pretty much any change I make the main page of the website give me this error: "Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on null in /var/www/epowerlab.ru/data/www/epowerlab.ru/core/cache/includes/elements/modsnippet/56.include.cache.php on line 28"

If I go to that file and manually comment out or delete the 28th line the site loads ok. But then when I change something the line appears again. The contents of the file are:

<?php
          $q = $modx->newQuery('modResource');
          $q->where(array(
          'published' => true,
          //'isfolder' => 1,
          //'parent' => 1,
          'template' => 12, //??????
          ));

$q->sortby('id', 'ASC');
          $q->limit(1); // huh???? huh?? huh????

$q->prepare();
          $sql = $q->toSQL();

$query = $modx->prepare($sql);
          $query->execute();
          $total = $modx->getCount('modResource', $q); //????? huh????

//die('total:'.$total);

if($total>0) {
          $result = $query->fetchAll(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
          $pageId = $result[0]['modResource_id'];
          }

$page = $modx->getObject('modResource', $pageId);
          return $page->get('introtext');
          return;
            • 24,544 Posts
            That file is in the MODX cache, so it will always revert to the code of the actual snippet.

See which snippet has the ID 56 (the ID is in parentheses after the snippet name in the Elements tree). If you make that change to the actual snippet and save it, it will persist -- but it won't fix the underlying problem.

What's the name of the snippet?

To get cPanel access you usually just need the credentials for the hosting account, but obviously they are reluctant to give them out with some proof that it's your site or that you should be granted access to it. Once you log in to the hosting account on their main page, there should be a link somewhere to cPanel.

Since you obviously have access_permissions permission, though, you may not need cPanel access.

Try going to Manage -> Users, right-click on yourself and select Update User. On the General information tab, check the 'Sudo User' checkbox and then click on the "Save" button. That will bypass all MODX permission tests. If it doesn't solve your problem, the problem is not a MODX permission problem, so it's good to rule that out before looking at other possible issues. [ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 6 years, 4 months ago.]
              My MODX Extras
              • 18 Posts
              Quote from: BobRay at Dec 03, 2017, 09:06 PM
              Try going to Manage -> Users, right-click on yourself and select Update User. On the General information tab, check the 'Sudo User' checkbox and then click on the "Save" button. That will bypass all MODX permission tests. If it doesn't solve your problem, the problem is not a MODX permission problem, so it's good to rule that out before looking at other possible issues.

Hey Bob! That didn't change anything, unfortunately. I guess I need to contact the hosting company and ask for SSH and FTP access?

Your advice helped to fix the caching issue though, thank you!
                • 24,544 Posts
                cPanel access would be easier and safer. cPanel's File Manager would let you check and set file and directory permissions in a very safe and easy way.
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 18 Posts
                  Quote from: BobRay at Dec 04, 2017, 05:57 AM
                  cPanel access would be easier and safer. cPanel's File Manager would let you check and set file and directory permissions in a very safe and easy way.

Hello Bob! I'm a bit confused about the difference between cPanel and the admin panel I'm working in. Aren't they the same thing?
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    No, what you're looking at is the MODX Manager, which lets you administer a single MODX site.

cPanel is the Control Panel for your hosting service. It has nothing to do with MODX directly, though changes there can affect how MODX runs. cPanel lets you create and control email accounts; copy, compress, edit and change permissions on files; edit the database directly; set up FTP and database users, change your PHP version, and much, much more.

There's a demo you can play with here: https://demo.cpanel.net:2083/cpsess8045376101/frontend/paper_lantern/index.html?login=1&post_login=9287684759184.

If you click on the File Manager at the upper left of the grid, you can navigate though the files and folders. On the right side of the list, you'll see the file and folder permissions (e.g., 755, 644). If you highlight one or more files or folders, you can click on the "Permissions" option at the top to change multiple permissions at once.

It's possible that your host doesn't have cPanel (there are alternatives) or that they don't allow users to access it, but it's unlikely if they're a good hosting service.
                      My MODX Extras
                      • 18 Posts
                      Thanks a lot Bob, appreaciate your answers.