We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 22 Posts
    I know this has been a topic many times and I read through all (most?) of the regarding threads.

Following situation:

MODX install 2.5.2-pl
    PHP 7 on a shared hosting (Hosteurope) - I do have quite a few MODX installs with this hoster (evo & revo for many years) and no technical problems so far.
    MODX is hardened: core-folder outside the root and manager-folder renamed
    My page is a 3-language install using BABEL

I am just trying to move the whole page to another folder on the same webspace to do some content-modifying on a non-accessible install. So, no subfolder and no subdomain - using a spare domain for the testing.

what did I do?
    - First I installed a clean MODX (same version of course) in the new folder-structure (paralell to the productive install)
    - then I installed all the same plugins I am using in the productive install
    - I checked the productive install for errors with BobRay´s SiteCheck-Plugin
    - I cleared all the caches, sessions, and so on before the DB-export
    - I exported the DB and imported it in the new install (after logging out of course)
    - I rerunn the setup on the new install (disabled JS-compress and CSS-compress)
    - I rerunn SiteCheck on the new install (outside MODX) -> no errors whatsoever
    - I cleared the browser-cache, cookies, and so on.
    - of course I checked manually all the paths and also the rewrite-part in the .htaccess

Tried to login in the manager with diferent browsers and with and without "www" with the same result: no resource-tree and the "Undefined"-Error

As I did have issues in the past with BABEL I first uninstalled BABEL on the productive page befor the DB-export, without improvement
    I even tried to deactivate all the installed plugins via phpmyadmin without success

So here you find me, after spending hours reading and searching for hints...

Any ideas?
    I would grant access to the install for some MODX-Crack here in the forums ;-)

MODX is great, but sometimes you just want to, well... go and change the Job. Maybe plant tomatos in the garden or become a shepherd

Thanks in advance,

The frogge

This question has been answered by hugofrosch. See the first response.

• 24,544 Posts
      Have you tried visiting the Manager with your browser in private or incognito mode? Sometimes a leftover cookie will mess up the Manager.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 22 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at May 09, 2017, 04:04 AM
        Have you tried visiting the Manager with your browser in private or incognito mode? Sometimes a leftover cookie will mess up the Manager.

Yes, I tried that. With Chrome and Firefox - same result - "undefined"
        And I also noticed in the frontend that the charset obviously got messed up while copying the DB.
          • 24,544 Posts
          I don't think you mentioned the compress_js and compress_css System Settings. If you haven't already, try turning them off.

Do you have anything running that injects JS? (Lots of extras do.) Possibly there's a JS conflict between MODX and one of your extras.

My MODX Extras
            • 22 Posts
            compress_js and compress_css is turned off - yes, I had problems with that in the past already ;-)

The extras I have installed:

• Google Analytics Dashboard Widget
            • Babel
            • Breadcrumbs
            • CodeMirror
            • fastField
            • FirstChildRedirect
            • getFeed
            • getPage
            • getResourceField
            • getResources
            • Redirector
            • SimpleSearch
            • sitecheck
            • TinyMCE
            • Wayfinder

Well, of course I could uninstall all of the extras before migrating the DB. But, well... it´s an productive project. I would have to take the site offline for that time. And have the risk of crashing something while reinstalling all of the extras. You think it´s worth a try?
              • 571 Posts
              It might be worth removing TinyMCE before migrating.
                If I help you out on these forums I would be very grateful if you would consider rating me on Trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/andytough.com

email: [email protected] | website: https://andytough.com
                • 24,544 Posts
                And you can disable any plugins (in the modx_site_plugins table in the DB, if necessary) after you move things.

Be sure to manually clear the cache after disabling them. You might also poke around looking for leftover pieces of Babel.
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 22 Posts
                  I´m starting to believe that the problem has to do with the core-folder that I moved out of the domain-reach on the webspace as suggested here:
                  https://docs.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/security/hardening-modx-revolution

Why do I assume this?
                  Next project, next problem:
                  This time with an MODX install 2.5.1-pl with another provider.
                  Also hardened MODX as indicated in the link above
                  Also tried to move MODX to another folder just to do some content and template modifications out of sight of the visitors
                  This time a simple install, one context, one language, no BABEL-Plugin

So, nearly the same steps:
                  - installed 2.5.1-pl in the new folder using a spare domain
                  - installed all of the plugins used in the productive page
                  - deactivated js_compress and css_compress
                  - exported DB of the productive page
                  - imported in the new install via phpmyadmin
                  - checked all the paths

Result: the resource-tree is showing, but without showing the resources
                  Rerun install after deleting the cache manually and ended up with the following error:
                  Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function parseProperties() on null in /homepages/40/d232973071/htdocs/**************/core/model/modx/modelement.class.php:524 Stack trace: #0 /homepages/40/d232973071/htdocs/**************/core/model/modx/modx.class.php(1606): modElement->getProperties() #1 /homepages/40/d232973071/htdocs/**************/core/model/modx/modmanagercontroller.class.php(147): modX->invokeEvent('OnManagerPageBe...', Array) #2 /homepages/40/d232973071/htdocs/**************/core/model/modx/modmanagerresponse.class.php(74): modManagerController->render() #3 /homepages/40/d232973071/htdocs/**************/core/model/modx/modmanagerrequest.class.php(180): modManagerResponse->outputContent(Array) #4 /homepages/40/d232973071/htdocs/**************/core/model/modx/modmanagerrequest.class.php(128): modManagerRequest->prepareResponse() #5 /homepages/40/d232973071/htdocs/**************/manager/index.php(62): modManagerRequest->handleRequest() in /homepages/40/d232973071/htdocs/**************/core/model/modx/modelement.class.php on line 524

So, the first problem is not solved, the second problem at hand.
                  To tell the truth: after 8 years of MODX just getting tired of it because I always end up having issues while moving a page from one place to another. This should not be that troublesome.

And if you do not harden modx and hide the core-folder you can be sure to get hacked sooner or later, even with the newest version of MODX. Had this quite a few times on different server and different providers.

Sorry, just a bit of a bad mood here at the moment...

nontheless happy for any suggestion on both the problems

• 571 Posts
                    I was moving a couple of sites the other day and made a mistake in the database part of the config.inc.php file

I think that I forgot to enter the $database_dsn and this caused Manager problems, but because I had entered the $dbase line correctly the site displayed correctly in the front end.

$dbase = 'databaseNameHere';
                    $table_prefix = '';
                    $database_dsn = 'path;dbname=databaseNameHereAGAIN;charset=utf8';

I always dread moving sites. I seem to make a mistake or encounter a problem every time.

I think it is one of those things that I do often enough to think I know how to do it, but not often enough to be correct in that assumption!
                      If I help you out on these forums I would be very grateful if you would consider rating me on Trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/andytough.com

email: [email protected] | website: https://andytough.com
                    • discuss.answer
                      • 22 Posts
                      Quote from: andytough at May 12, 2017, 11:28 AM

I always dread moving sites. I seem to make a mistake or encounter a problem every time.
                      I think it is one of those things that I do often enough to think I know how to do it, but not often enough to be correct in that assumption!

Yes, well, that´s also my experience. I moved quite a few MODX-pages around over the years (evo & revo), but nearly every time encounter some kind of problem - at least with revo. For other systems there are easy-to-use tools for migrating whole sites including the database. The time I lost the last 10 days just trying to solve this issues lets me rethink my enthusiasm for MODX.
                      Then there are still a few unsolved problems I encountered in the past and just try to navigate around in actual projects.

Well, I´m still at a loss regarding the first issue mentioned in this thread and I am willing to pay someone just to get me through the hassle. So if someone feels like he could help me there just send me a PM.

Oh, and regarding the $dbase line: that´s why I first installed a clean modx at the new location and with a new database, so I can be sure that the $dbase line is set correctly