We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 37 Posts
    I upgraded a number of sites from 2.3.x and 2.4.x to 2.5.1 a few weeks ago. I just noticed that these sites to not allow me to manage files from within MODX anymore.

The "Files" tab does show as does the "Filesystem" folder, however, clicking the "Filesystem" folder results in noting being shown in the list whatsoever.

Clicking the refresh button doesn't help either.

These MODX installations seem to work fine in all other ways.

Meanwhile, on the same server I have a new 2.5.1 MODX install which has no problems displaying the filesystem via MODX . . .

Ownerships and permissions for files and folders seem identical between the working MODX installation and non-working installations.

These MODX installations are running on
    • nginx 1.11.3
    • PHP 7.0.8
    • MySQL/MariaDB 10.1.17

This is all on Ubuntu 16.04.2

However, any of this (quite standard) configuration shouldn't (and does not seem to matter), as one (new) MODX install allows for use of the MODX filemanager (as discussed above).

Ideas and/or solutions are welcome! Thanks. [ed. note: fbachofner last edited this post 7 years, 7 months ago.]
      • 37 Posts
      I should probably mention that I am logging in as the site administrator (i.e. with role = Super User - 0 )

The access policies for administrator has 173 of 174 permissions, including all the "file_*" permissions. This seems to be the same across all installations for the default installation of the administrator account.

Per the thread https://forums.modx.com/thread/30200/file-manager-not-showing-any-files-or-folders ... yes, I have cleared cache, cookies, etc. [ed. note: fbachofner last edited this post 7 years, 7 months ago.]
        • 37 Posts
        Bump.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this problem?!

Perhaps a setting in the MODX database which didn't transition on upgrade to 2.5.1?
          • 247 Posts
          You have any custom Media Sources running? If you haven't already, double check your media source settings and any ACLs relating to your media sources.
            • 37 Posts
            Hi claytonk:

Quote from: claytonk at Sep 21, 2016, 09:27 PM
            You have any custom Media Sources running? If you haven't already, double check your media source settings and any ACLs relating to your media sources.

No, there are no custom Media Sources in any of these cases.

"Filesystem" is the only media source in each case. Interestingly, even in the new MODX installation where it works, there is no listed user group for the file system. I find that a little odd.

Also, all the various properties (under "General Information") for the file system seems to be identical between the working install and those where it doesn't work.

What exactly does MODX require for the files/filesystem functionality to work? Is there a plugin or other type of module required on upgrade to 2.5.1 [which might have auto-installed on the fresh MODX installation (where the files functionality works)]?

Also, as is so often the case with my (very infrequent) pain points under Linux, I am starting to suspect file ownership/permissions issues.

Even though I said in my first post "Ownerships and permissions for files and folders seem identical between the working MODX installation and non-working installations," it is of course possible there is a variation somewhere. Perhaps I need to look at this more carefully?
              • 37 Posts
              I am still having no luck with this!

I reinstalled one misbehaving MODX site and diabled CSS/JS compression. That didn't help.

Possibly critically important: I noticed the non-working (file manager) installations seem to be missing 1 "access policy," the "developer" policy. [Each of the non-working installs show 11 of the (normal?) 12 access policies in working installations.]

However, when I try to recreate it from scratch or import from one of my working installations, I get an error: "A Policy already exists with the name `Developer`. Please select another name."

Even though the "administrator" access policy seems to trump the "developer" access policy, could this be my problem with the file manager?

Why does the developer policy not show up?

How can I fix this?
                • 37 Posts
                Quote from: fbachofner at Oct 11, 2016, 11:14 PM
                Why does the developer policy not show up?

How can I fix this?

In the database there is a table "modx_access_policies"
                One of the rows -- ID: 10, Name: Developer had the value for Template set to 0

Setting this "template" value to 1 (as with the row for Administrator, on which it is based) makes the developer policy show up once more in the list of access policies.

Unfortunately, this does not "reenable" the file manager.
                  • 37 Posts
                  I am disappointed and even a bit shocked the MODX developers are not weighing in on this given there have been number of people with the same problem (witnessed by other threads, generally with less troubleshooting details given) and there is no definitive solution expressed on the forum.
                  • You faced the problem, that most of the developers are not reading this forum. This issue should be better posted on GitHub. Maybe we could help you there.

And please, don't be angry that there was no reaction here for a month. Sometimes it needs a bit longer, to get noticed.

I think your issue is caused by MariaDB and some strict modes. Maybe you could help us to solve those issues.
                      • 37 Posts
                      Hi Jako:

Thanks for your reply!

Quote from: Jako at Oct 15, 2016, 10:43 AM
                      This issue should be better posted on GitHub.

Where on GitHub? Post an issue to https://github.com/modxcms/revolution ? Somewhere else?

And please, don't be angry that there was no reaction here for a month. Sometimes it needs a bit longer, to get noticed.

I'm not angry, just very befuddled. This purports to be a support forum ("Revo Discussions & Support"), so one would think the devs would monitor it reasonably regularly . . .

BTW, I have noticed many such threads which don't get answered satisfactorily (including no developer response) for a lot longer than a month or two.

I'd suggest a simple process amendment (to forums) so these things don't fall through the cracks.

Also, you may find that many users don't wish to go to GitHub for a number of reasons, including, perhaps "intimidation" as it is generally perceived as a "developers-only" place.

When users are trying to help MODX with copious details on a problem, I think you should make it as easy as possible for that data to get picked up.

I think your issue is caused by MariaDB and some strict modes. Maybe you could help us to solve those issues.

That's an interesting theory. Of course I do have a new MODX installation which doesn't have the problem while existing on the same platform (except having been upgraded).

I'll move this to GH as soon as you clarify the best location to do so.