We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 91 Posts
    A problem others have had before on earlier versions of MODX, but the solutions mentioned there don't work for me: Files tab in the manager area lists the two media sources (Filesystem and a client source) but shows them as empty when it is not. Clicking the media browser or one of the image TVs that use a media source produces the error message that no files correspond to the filter. This is for the main admin, who has all permissions plus media admin permissions for the two media sources.

MoDX version is 2.5.1. Went back to 2.5.0, but problem persists.

Bob Ray suggested in the past checking the filemanager path. Checked. It is blank, as it is in other sites on the same server whose media browsers work normally.

Have run Bob Ray's excellent SiteCheck. The check stops after claiming that MODX_ASSETS_URL: (/assets/) is invalid. But the config file is correct, and is the same for the assets file as it is on other sites on the same server with working media browsers and filemanagers.

To someone else with the same problem Susan Ottwell said: "It sounds like either file/folder permissions are not correct, or the assets_path in the config.inc.php file is not correct." Folder chmod set to 755. And the assets path seems correct (despite being deemed invalid by SiteCheck).

Do I just delete everything,start again from scratch, make a burnt offering, and hope the problem isn't repeated?

This question has been answered by cottagestuff. See the first response.

• 91 Posts
      Am comparing this site to another on the same server updated to 2.5.1. The following are the same on both sites:

1. Admin permissions for contexts and media sources (the problem is seen when logged in as Admin - Super User).

2. Media sources (Filesystem and one for client files).

3. Chmod of assets (755).

4. In system settings filemanager_path is blank and filemanager_path_relative is Yes.

5. config.inc.php paths and urls all have the same pattern (including the /assets/ path).

6. .htaccess (grasping at anything that looks like a straw).

7. Extras (Only TinyMCE - updated to latest in both cases).

8. ModSecurity: Both sites have ModSec enabled and disabling it does not solve the problem.

If not the above, what could be causing the filemanager and media browser to fail to find or display any of the files on the server?
      • discuss.answer
        • 91 Posts
        Workaround:

1. Export site content in PHPMyAdmin and save.

2. Import database from a site with working media browser.

3. Import site content.

4. Empty cache in core.

Solved, although the mystery remains.
          • 15 Posts
          I am having the exact same issue, for whatever reason 2 MODx sites both have the same issue, if I do a new install it all works fine, tried everything except your solution as my site is too complex to just swap out the site content table. Do you have any idea what the actual issue is so I can try and fix the problem.
            • 37 Posts
            Hey, are you all "missing" a "developer" access policy too?

Take a look at my similar thread here:
            https://forums.modx.com/thread/100904/file-manager-broken-after-upgrade-to-2-5-1#dis-post-545612
              • 8 Posts
              I may be having a similar issue, but not sure. My administrator account can view/edit files in file manager, but another user cannot. That user can see the file browser, but the file upload option is missing. If I make that user a full administrator it works. Maybe mine is a user group permissions issue?

Update: I created a duplicate of the administrator access group, and it worked. I'm slowly removing permissions to that group to see where it removes this ability. [ed. note: sf23103 last edited this post 7 years, 6 months ago.]
                • 3 Posts
                Just in case anyone is still experiencing this issue, or anyone new has come across this issue - especially if they are hosting their MODX site on an Amazon EC2 Linux instance. Using Firefox's console, I discovered the manager's AJAX call upon trying to expand the media sources was receiving a 500 error in return. By combing through the php error_logs, I discovered the following error message:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /var/www/html/core/model/modx/sources/modfilemediasource.class.php on line 173

This is due to the lack of the mbstring php module on the linux installation, so installing the correct version for your installed php version and restarting the httpd daemon fixes the issue:

sudo yum install php56-mbstring
                sudo service httpd restart
                  • 1 Posts
                  Thks royaltyclubvp !!!
                  I haved same error and worked for me !!!! smiley

Quote from: royaltyclubvp at Apr 30, 2017, 08:31 PM
                  Just in case anyone is still experiencing this issue, or anyone new has come across this issue - especially if they are hosting their MODX site on an Amazon EC2 Linux instance. Using Firefox's console, I discovered the manager's AJAX call upon trying to expand the media sources was receiving a 500 error in return. By combing through the php error_logs, I discovered the following error message:

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /var/www/html/core/model/modx/sources/modfilemediasource.class.php on line 173

This is due to the lack of the mbstring php module on the linux installation, so installing the correct version for your installed php version and restarting the httpd daemon fixes the issue:

sudo yum install php56-mbstring
                  sudo service httpd restart